Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concorde

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Mikey0118.....again!

Concorde

Is it true that Concorde is back in action from April of this year (2001)? I can't understand why all of them were grounded after that crash. They don't ground all 737s when one crashes!
    father bob

RE: Concorde

yes it is, but concorde was due for a major overhaul in the cabin.
    BA were planning to change the seats, and other aspects of the cabin to make it more comfortable and modern compared with other aircraft. Thius is why they were recalled, as well as to ascertain if the BA fleet of Concorde aircraft would have the same problem as the the Air France aircraft. Once the problem was found, BA made sure it would not happen again.
    there ya go, if im wrong give me a bollockin!
    Regards

Comment

• mikey0118
      • Jan 2000

Thanks!!!

If you're wrong, I will do so!!! LOL!

Thanks again!

Comment

steve

I recently saw a documentary on channel 4 concerning concorde, it actually stated that a similar event to that of the Air France machine ( though not fatal) occured to a BA plane, I think it was wise to ground the concorde until a full investigation is made because the documentary pointed to some frailties in the Concordes design, namely that the engines are so lowly slung on the wing that ingestion is more probable, also the landing gear are too close to the engines, but then there was no other way to design it, lets face it Concorde first flew in 1969 and went into service in 1976, its still a marvel of technology and I certainly hope the Concordes will soon be back in the air. I have heard that some kind of new fuel tank will possibly be fitted based on the type used in F1 racing cars.
        If Concorde does get back in the air again, its next hurdle will be to win back public confidence, I think BA could offer its customers the chance to fly concorde for subsonic fares in a bid to fill the planes and get confidence in the plane back again.
        This country needs Concorde, it can not be a failure like the unfortunate Comet 1s ( a brilliant plane) one accident on the Concorde should not spell the end....anyone agree ???

from save our sst

Comment

MK

Concorde

If what the experts say is true, and the cause of this crash was the Contitnental Airlines DC-10, surely if people have any sense, they will not fell unconfident about flying on Concorde when it makes a comeback in April.

MK

Comment

father bob

Everybody knows the reason for the crash but people who are flying on concorde would think it wos a fault on concorde rather than because of another aircraft.Its all about gaining confidence again, and telling people it wasnt a concorde fault.
            bob

Comment

• Mark
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

Emm, I could be wrong but....

BA withdrew their Concordes but at the same time, the JAA withdrew their airworthiness certs. BA and AF didn't have much of a choice in the matter - they had to ground all the Concordes.

As to why they were grounded - the Concorde received much more publicity than a lot of the previous crashes, that the JAA pretty much had to do it or the press would have had a field day.

Comment

• Jan 2000

Hi
                I think it will be quite a while till concorde is back in buisness because they have to test tyres.
                bye

Comment

• mac
                  mac
                  • Jan 2000

As Mark said, BA and AF did not have much choice as their airworthy certifs were withdrawn... fair enough, if a 737 crashes, all 737s ar not grounded .. HOWEVER check are imposed on airlines of a particular type. The concorde incident is a very different, or perhaps delicate. First of all taking into consideration the amount of technology in the aircraft and the amount of years it has been flying.. secondly, it is an aircraft which is in the limelite. The average person in the street who is not interested in aviation couldn't tell the diff between a B737 an an A320, but can surely tell a Concorde is a concorde!! The cannot risk this happening one more time, or that would REALLY be the end for Concorde then, so i agree with the tests!
                  With regards to gaining th confidence again .. well, its true, it will be a hard nut to crack, and the i think the idea of offering subsonic fares is a good one, however most passengers on concorde NEED to fly conc due to business reasons. Lets face it, the day after the fatal crash, BA offered its concorde passenegers to rebook to subsonic.. some did, others didn't!!
                  Well guys, i am totally in favour of deeing that marvelous machine in the air again!!!

Regards!

Comment

• mac
                    mac
                    • Jan 2000

sorry.. of SEEING it in the air again!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X