London City Airport

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

I shall be flying on holiday from London City for the first time this year. Does anyone out there know what it's like? I would love some feedback from a passenger point of view. Also, is it any good for viewing and photography?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: London City Airport

I like LCY a lot.
Living in the Netherlands, we are offered 5-6 flights daily by KLM UK. These flights are currently flown with a Fokker 50, a couple of years ago by BAE 146.

LCY is also called a 'stolport', and landing is some kind of a controlled crashlanding, it is quit a steep, low speed dive.

The airport itself is comfortable, you can on the street within 15 minutes after depaning. You walk away from the plane (no bus), go inside, straight left and there you go.
It is no comparison to Heatrow or Gatwick.
From the airport you have good bus connection to the London underground system.

The airport has a cafetaria on the first floor, from which you can make some pictures, however this is all from behind the window.
There is always a nice collections of ATR's (Eurowings), F50's (KLM UK and VLM, Dash 8 (LH) and Crossair Saabs and Bae jets.

London City airport has a good website, I do not know thir url, but it is linked through the KLMUK website.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Great airport. I have had the pleasure of writing an article about it and visited it completely. It´s on a dock, and you could get great shots from the other side of the pond. If you use a 120 zoom you won´t have problems. The runways is a bit small and the glide is 5,5 so it gives you a very intense landing. No fingers, the but the terminal is small, airy, cosy and confortable. You won´t have to walk to much to the plane. It´s prefectly conected to the centre by tube, bus, or taxi. It´s a nice and hassle free experience. Lots of facilities.

Member for

24 years 2 months

You can get some good shots from just outside the terminal of aircraft coming in and taking off but only if they're coming in from the east. Its not that far a walk to the western end where you can get a view of any private aircraft such as Citations or Dassault Falcons.

I flew from there once. Before landing make sure your belt it tight, there's quite a deceleration.

Member for

24 years 2 months

You can see the Airport in the end credits for 'Eastenders' a program on the BBC. It is on the top right hand corner after the millenium dome!! I think you can get it anywhere on Sky and other Digital services as i know it is available in America.

http://www.londoncityairport.com

Andrew M

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks for your replies!! I have now booked my flights and I fly out with VLM to Brussels. I will be going on a Fokker 50, and I'm going to try and video the aircraft landing. From your replies, the airport sounds good.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Comet, would ya maybe be able to convert the video so that you can view it on a computer and then maybe post the file for download?

Andrew M

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ive travelled through there on a few occasions although I do not live in London. I have to say its a bit of an oasis for London airports. Quite small, comfortable, low on stress !

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'd love to do a video convert to computer, if someone could tell me how!!!