Future of 146/Avro RJ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

What will become of the 146/Avro RJ now that the line has been shut down. I really despise BAe for that! Anyway, will they still support airlines that have them? What about the three RJX aircraft that were built? Two 100's and one 85? Is that right? What will become of them?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Future of 146/Avro RJ?

146/Avro RJ is scrapped for now....but it might come back! BAe will have to keep on providing maintanence etc. services to already operating users. The three RJX are kept in storage at present.....as BAe said that they hope RJX is not scrapped for good. So still a chance of it coming back.

Member for

24 years 3 months

When there seems tobe so much interest in regional type jets its a shame that BAe should throw in the towel. Was it too expensive to operate compared to the popular rear twin engined types ??

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well British European are surely miffed now - they were origionally unhappy with the CRJ but seem to be clinging onto it for now!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

What was so good about the 146? It was not very fuel efficient. And I never figured out why all the airlines called it a "Whisper Jet"!

It was designed in the VC-10 mould, ie. more for operating in niche markets than regular ones. The only hope for BAE was to build something the airlines actually wanted for general use, rather than the ability to use grass strips or LCY!

British European press release recently indicated that the Dash 8 Q400 could operate the same routes (in this case BHX to Belfast) with roughly half the fuel burn and more payload flexibility.

Let failures be and don't support something just because it is made by BAE; that was why they got into a mess in the first place.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It was called the Whisper Jet as it is so quiet compared to many of the aircraft of it's time, and even now it is quieter thn the Likes of the Fokkers and prob of the A319/20/21 and 737 in relation to it's size.

Member for

24 years 3 months

there was a discussion as to this a few months back. possible
reasons were given and everyone said nice things, not like
the prick who replied to your query with blasphemous remarks.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What are you talking about??

Member for

24 years 3 months

I know a country which will have big problems and this is Buttan and Druk Air. They only operated Bae146 and had purchased the new avros.
What will happen?. British Aeroespace will have at least to guarantee the orders.

Member for

24 years 3 months

They might try and flog em off some 146/RJ that have returned from lease

Member for

24 years 3 months

BAe cannot kick the 146s to Bhuttan, India is handling this transaction for Bhuttan. BAe 146 are actually really great for Bhuttan, i went there many years back and it was a flight that i will never forget. Totally over the Himalayas, the flight is scheduled to take 2 rounds around Mt. Everest and then head for the capital city Thimpu. In the last minutes of the flight.....you are just circling between huge mountains, its really a majestic flight!! Also i took pics of the Druk Air...BAe146 in Thimpu....i'll get them scanned asap for u all...till then enjoy this.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c736e4233356c21.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

mongu, I don't like or dislike an aircraft because of the company it comes from. You need to chill out there. The 146/Avro RJ is popular because it is a good jet. It is economical, I don't know where you got the idea it wasn't. Better go do some research on that on my misinformed friend. You can't compare it to a prop in terms of economy because props will always be more fuel efficient than jets as a whole. The ARJ is one of the best things to hit the airliner world since the Boeing 707. I would prefer to fly on (or just fly if I was a pilot, as I hear that pilots love the ARJ) an ARJ over a more conventional jet such as the CRJ or ERJ. The ARJ is excellent because it is quiet (do some research on that one too), econimcal, good-looking (at least in my eye....especially the 146-300/RJ-100), and best of all.....DIFFERENT! What other airliner do you know of that looks like this? None, and being different is a good thing.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Granted, it is not bad to look at!

My point really is that on a lot of the routes this aircraft is operated on it is ineffecient in relation to the turboporp competition.

It was also marketed badly and I do not consider that the "overall package" available to the market enabled the 146 to succeed.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I suppose maybe some of the routes it isn't best suited for, but your post sounded like you just plain don't like the aircraft and I don't understand why as I've never heard of anyone that didn't like it. Anybody got good pics of RJ-85's and/or RJ-100's? Even RJ-70's will do, though there aren't many of them.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Mongu...you are fantastic! At last someone esle who sees this decision for the logic it is. I made similar statement a couple of months ago when this was first discussed on here and I think I was told to " go stuff yourself you painfully rational person". I'll see if I can find my original statement and repost it here.

Member for

24 years 3 months

And so you should "go poke yourself youpainfully rational person."
Besides your rationale seems to be somewhat flawed.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c7f73e36481d6ea.jpg
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c7f73fe64a14786.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

I found my quote..and I stick by it all. Please don't slag me off because I perceive aviation in business terms, we are all entitled to our opinions and if you don't get hung up on personal prefernces then you'll understand my comments..here goes....

"I think the point is this, BAe have been flogging a dead horse with this one. Their 4-engined Avro RJs are simply not as economical as the new proposals from Embraer and Canadair (Bombardier). This has long been a problem and it was the aircrafts field performance that was a major selling point. Embraer have made guarantees to Crossair that their RJ170 will be able to operate on London City's runway and so their aircraft is meeting field performance needs. As a result the more inefficent RJX family cannot compete, it's only real advantages are noise (I'm not sure what the Embraer aircraft is like in this area) and the earlier availability of their aircraft. I have been a fan of the 146/RJ family, but can see logically why it has come to an end.
People get hung up on nostalgia and personal preference for an aircraft, but if there is no commercial benefits then you cannot expect a company to manufacture or use them on the basis that they look "nice.""

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm not slogging you or whatever, I'm just saying that I don't really believe what you say is all that true, at least about the ARJ/146 series anyway. I've never heard anything bad about it. It has been very popular and is operated by over 50 different airlines. Even a few air forces use it for various duties. Pilots love it, passengers love it. I don't like the jet just because it looks nice, well, I do, but that is not my primary reason. I respect it because it is different (in looks obviously) and because of its record. Very good safety record, very reliable, and, it's popular. Rarely will you see an airliner that is as popular as this one. Most stories like that come from Boeing and its 7xx fleet of aircraft (from 707 to 777). It's not that I don't feel you are a credible source, it's just that I've seen and heard and read from so many other sources that it is a good, worthwhile jet. I just can't imagine that Bombardier and Embraer have better products.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Glad to see I am not the only "blasphemer" here!

Why do people always defend BAE ??????

They effectively finished commercial aircraft design in the 80's. The 146 programme was started in the 60's, if you trace the various concepts back through time. It took 20 years to take off!

Look at what they have built which is in regular service today:

ATP - evolution of the 748 which has not sold well
J41 - evolution of the smaller Jetstreams. Actually sold reasonably well, but it was losing appeal compared to the competition
J31 - nice plane, bit long in the tooth though.
146 - 'nuff said

Basically, they decided not to design any new planes a long time ago. You cannot go on improving old designs for ever and a day and still retain a competitive advantage over the oppositon.

And don't use the "Boeing do that but they still outsell Airbus" argument against me. They are different markets with different inherent dynamics.

Please redirect your ill feeling toward whichever reasons made BAE take the decision to get out of the commercial side of the aircraft business!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I don't know what sources you have been reading Phantem but the 146/RJ family isn't as highly respected on the airline scene as you think. Infact it had a niche market which it suited, and now that other aircraft are breaking into the market the aircraft is old fashioned and not competitive (because it was always a bit of a fuel gussler, and not always that popular with passengers..in fact, although quiet to people on the ground the original 146 family was notoriously noisy for it's passengers.). My sources are primarily Industry sources and industry magazines such as Flight INternational and Airline Business.