Ryanair Lufthansa

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

As some of you know: Ryanair wants to conquer Germany with low cost operations. Ryanair itself said it will attack Lufthansa, they even said that they can make Lufthansa bankrupt by flying below the price.

But ... Lufthansa doesn't want to let this happen. They'll start "Lufthansa Leicht" with some very nice paintings.

You're warned, Ryanair!

The livery:
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c83a66eafed44b6.gif

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Ryanair Lufthansa

So LH are jumping on the low cost bandwagon too? No surprises there then. Ryanair are expanding at an almost unbelievable rate, and many of the big carriers (BA, LH) have woken up and realised what a threat the low cost boys are. We're not just talking Ryanair either - Just look at how well Easyjet have done. Both EZY and FR have also placed bloody big aircraft orders, and Ryanair's boss seems to think he'll be bigger than BA in a few years time!

We also have the arrival of BMIbaby to contend with - EMA is an ideal airport for a low cost operation, even Go are setting up a base at this airport.

It remains to be seen how well the low cost carriers will do in the future though - The airline industry is never all that predictable, and I'm sure LH will do all they can to keep their share of the market safe. Could this be the honeymoon period for Ryanair? Or could it be the start of a serious decline for Lufthansa? We'll have to wait and see. My own personal view? I reckon LH will kick the upstart Irish carriers arse into orbit.....You don't mess with the big boys and expect them not to hit back. I even reckon struggling BA have a few aces up their sleeve too....

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think many people will find the big carriers low-cost off-shoots insincere I mean lets face it, if Ryanair & Easyjet hadn't come along do you think LH would be interested in offering better-value fares would Buzz have come along ?? I dont think so !

Member for

24 years 3 months

The issue I have is that the low-cost carriers do not cater for transfer pax.

They usually go to/from absurd airports in the middle of nowhere. It might be OK if you are going from point to point but as part of your journey, they not normally any use. I therefore say there is ample room for both oldie scheduled carriers and the new boys.

Which is one of the reasons why BA's decision not to serve transfer pax as such, is unusual to me!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ryanair? No chance!

Is this a new craze or something for larger carriers to start up lo-cost airlines?

It's probably the only money-making chance any of them have left and I say good luck to Ryanair because I don't think they stand a chance against the German Giant!

Lufthansa new Lufthansa Light may be a tad more expensive but I think some would rather pay that extra... don't you?

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Ryanair? No chance!

Most of the airlines are hit on the long haul routes, and low cost airlines being cheap and as well connecting with out of the way airports is a good support for a major airline. Also remember the increasing number of passengers nowdays traveling by air....and they would ofcourse welcome low cost carriers, not everybody yet can afford Lufthansa, BA etc. even for short haul routes.

I think low cost airlines is a positivie addition in the aviation sector. Indeed Ryanair is spreading fast, even if it enters Germany, Lufthansa should not face a problem, they have one solid base. They were the only few airlineds which were not hit during Sep. 11 crises.

Member for

24 years 3 months

"Low cost" is just a marketing tag.

Twice in the last year, I have gone to AMS on business. On both ocassions, Easyjet cost about 15% MORE than BA or BMI.

(1) The difference is only really in the published fares. BA might quote you £17,200 rtn in economy but will only charge you £100; EasyJet will publish 99p rtn but will charge you £115.

(2) And unless you live near one of the airports that Easyjet serve, BA is usually a bit more convenient.

Also, am I the only one that is getting fed up of 737's???

Feedback on (1) and (2) please??

Member for

24 years 3 months

I partly agree.

I flew Ryanair between PAris and Dublin : they are by far the cheapest.
But they serve a small airport far away North of Paris (not CDG).

I agree too when you say that so caleed low fare are sometime more expensive than scheduled airlines.

Each time I flight to LAX (2 or 3 times a year) UA, DL or AF are the best fare.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not at all... dare I say it but I think the 737 is a load of cr*p and should be abolished. Okay, it's successful and just as popular as it ever was and probably will be for years to come but it's a boring aircraft... to fly on and to look at... it's just too common especially with lo-cost carriers like easyJet and Ryanair! :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, I agree.

My Uncle had to fly from Glasgow to Dublin at short notice for a job interview last year, and it was cheaper to go BA (actually EI codeshare) than Ryanair. Also, the hastle of getting to PIK made Ryanair unfeasable over GLA.

Although, easyjet now fly GLA-DUB, maybe the added competition has made a difference?

And yes, I don't like 737s.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well I live 15 mins from one of the "out of the way" airports Liverpool, and Im glad they have come here. They are doing very well on all their routes from here and are taking considerable amount of business away from those airlines such as BA etc who have said there is no demand from this airport ! Rubbish !

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm glad Liverpool is getting these services - If we left it up to BA, then the smaller airports would never get a look in. The Merseyside airport generates a good number of passengers for EZY, and I'm told carries more PAX on the Amsterdam flights than MAN (which is flown by BA and KLM uk).

Even the neglected East Midlands Airport is getting low cost carriers - Go and BMIbaby - About time too!

Member for

24 years 3 months

As for the 737, well I look at it like this - If airliners were cars, then the 737 would be a Ford Mondeo or Vauxhall Vectra. The 747 would be a BMW 7 Series, and Concorde would be a Ferrari...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Back to my comment about transfer passengers, though.

These "out of the way" airports need to stop thinking so much about point to point traffic and consider the transfer angle. That's how the big airports developed. Liverpool still has poor connections to mainstream destinations - eg LHR or CDG and until these are beefed up the low cost carriers are artificially limiting the size of their market.

Also - what on earth is the logic of unassigned seating???

It cannot surely cost very much to assign pax to seats rather than have a free seating arrangement. It can be a disincentive to groups of people travelling (eg. young families, couples).