[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-03-02 AT 02:20 PM (GMT)]The A340-600 during trials

I can do it, but I need your support!
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c8cbc4088917cb3.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: What a shot!

you'll notice that this situation is anticipated and an orange pad is bolted to the under surface, which is what is creating the sparks- not the airframe thank goodness!!! the aircraft is fitted with this to test the optimum flare angle for landing- to help save on damage and thus delays in trials, the pad is fitted.

coanda

Member for

24 years 3 months

great pic Ja....

Member for

24 years 3 months

nice pic...the size of the beast is really appreciated with those guys in the foreground.

The sparks pic.... The orange block is made of wood and is used in tests for low speed take offs aswell. As you say...this cuts down on airframe damage!

Regards

Benair

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yeah the point was that at short strips this might end up causing probs!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

It is BIG - to say the least!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Coanda - I thought this test was to see what the minimum unsticking speen was. I.e. pull up on take off until the aircraft is scraping along the floor and see how far you have to fly to get the thing off the ground. I seem to remember a documentary about the development and testing of the 777 in which the same trial was conducted.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great pic - Don't you think the new bigger powerplants on the -600 make the A340 as a whole look more erm, beefier? It's a nice looking plane.

Member for

24 years 3 months

And no one spotted the irony of "Quieter - Smoother" written on the side!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

What a brill pic. My fave aircraft of all i love the new 600. It was at MAN in house colours but i missed. Dissapointed. But thanx for posting this pic it is gr8.

Mik€.