What's the SHORTS 360 like????

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-05-02 AT 06:16 PM (GMT)]I've heard from many people that the SD-360 is quite an an unpleasent aircraft to fly on due to the noise and turbulance. Dispite this, it does seem to be widely used in the regional airline industry.

If you have flown or work(ed) on this aircraft your comments would be great!!

Thank-you

Luke.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: What's the SHORTS 360 like??

I fly on an Aurigny shorts 360 quite often,because my uncle works for the airline I am lucky enough to be able to sit in the jump seat (whether or not now is a different question)I am not the biggest fan of the aircraft as I think its shape is two squarish compared to todays new regional aircraft (the Aurigny one is called the shoebox!)and it makes a horrible noise especially when it lands like drums beating.Having said that it on the hole its a popular aircraft for airlines to use because it is inexpensive to operate and is reliable.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It´s a reliable and sturdy flying wardrobe

Member for

24 years 2 months

can it be purchased in MFI?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Its a loud aircraft to fly on and quite uncomfortable so you wouldnt want to be on it for any length of time but you wont get a long flight on it anyways so no worries!!! Landings arent of the smoothest but it is a reliable aircraft.
Hope this helps!
regards,
Mark

Member for

24 years 2 months

I used to fly on them from time to time.

They are very unpopular with passengers. I think most of the above posts said why; noisy and uncomfortable, as well as quite staggeringly ugly.

Also, they are unpressurised. My hearing was always dodgy after even a short flight.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I had to do a piece of coursework on the Shorts 330, the 360's predecessor. It's a basic aircraft, designed for commuter flights. Pressurisation was thought unneccessary because it wasn't expected to be airborne for long enough to climb to great heights. It isn't exactly the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft in the world, (but when you have to draw it on CAD for you're coursework... It's a godsend!!) It has wing struts so that the internal structure inside the wing doen't have to be excessively strong and complex. The main landing gear units are positioned in sponsons to keep the constant cross section of the fuselage, and the fuselage is humped so the main spars don't get in the way of the cabin.

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: What's the SHORTS 360 like????

I flew on one years ago it was Air Uk from STN-GCI and at the time I quite liked it but it was mid-summer and we got a fab view comming into GCI the colour of the sea is really nice.

However I know Manx Airlines used to use them quite extensively from up here at LPL to both BHD and IOM, I don't think they were widely liked particularly if it was bad weather. They were reliable and safe aircraft, does anyone remember the Aer Lingus one hitting the power-lines I think at East Midlands ???? Everyone got off ok from what I can recall.