Third Airline a Must in Aurtralia!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

LAst Friday the Federal Transport Minister in Australia, announced that a third airline is a must in this country to ensure fair pricing and value added trade.

No new airline is yet to be launched, Spirit having been a nice idea and that's about it. But Singapore Airlines is keen to gain a foot hold in our market and seems to be making the right choices in getting over the barrier that holds then back.

The Australian Government blocked the sale of Ansett to SAL because in thier view "They would have a monopoly in the region, and that would create an unfair trade advantage in our market". So why now the turn around? SAL have the money and Australia needs the money to help with the fight against terrorism. Personally it's all double dutch to me :P

Leave no-one behind!

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Third Airline a Must in Aurtralia!

I agree....being sutch a huge country good air travel is a must for Australia. We would have xpected more airlines there. Only major airlines is Qantas now as Ansett is no more.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Apparently Virgin Blue is considering lauching international services to destinations including New Zealand,Hong Kong,Shanghai,Tokyo,Bali and Fiji.Richard Branson said on April 17th of this year that an A$3.6bn fleet upgrade was planned to help cope with its rapid expansion in the Australin omestic market and betwen 30 and 40 aircraft could be acquired,either 737s or A320s.
About the new airline,its good to see a possible new carrier in Australia.But Spirit airways?I remember hearing about them in 2000/2001 but then nothing else was heard,are they really that serious?With Singapore then maybe if they set something up in Australia it would be modelled on their airline Silkair?
Just a thought! ;-)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I can't believe the Australian Gov't wouldn't allow SIA to reinstate Ansett. It's gotta' be a no-brainer. Singapore would have bought a huge stake in them to begin with, had in not been for Air New Zealand acting like idiots. Had they allowed SIA to do that in the first place, they wouldn't have been scrambling to sell them off at the last minute, and Ansett would still be flying. The planes are just sitting there, why not put them to good use? SIA would have a monopoly in the area, how do you figure? It would prevent the near current monopoly by QANTAS, if anything. VirginBlue has good intentions, and them wanting to expand internationally is wishful thinking, but they're still nothing compared to QF right now. This needs to happen.

GD1

Member for

24 years 3 months

Who will be brave enough, or perhaps even stupid enough to take it on though??!!Every time there has been THREE airlines flying here one of them has eventually been squeezed OUT. In 90s it was the new comer COMPASS, this time it was a bigger and seemingly invulnerable fish, ANSETT.

Regards, Glenn.