Indian Civil Aviation Disaster!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-06-02 AT 04:35 PM (GMT)]shocking news.....Air France, BA, JAL, Austrian, Northwest, Qantas, KLM(might) and Lufthansa(might) withdraw there services from India from June 10th. Thats 80% of International trafic. The major airlines left are Cathay, Emirates, Gulf, Saudi, SIA and KLM and some central asian airlines. This is a big disaster and the reason is Indo-Pak tentions. Now only way to goto Europe direct from India is KLM and Air India.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Indian Civil Aviation Disaster!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-06-02 AT 05:40 PM (GMT)]Well with the situation in India it really doesn't surprise me,with contries foreign offices telling people to get out the country and the media reporting of possible war there is nothing much you can do to encourage people to fly to the country.It really is a shame though but hopefully when the climate cools down the flights will be reinstated.

Member for

24 years 3 months

no offence would you want your workers there when the sh*t hits the fan - as it will. what is worse is current projections show that in the evne t of war at the mment the fallout will get india but i spetember the fallout will get china....

both sides need to get their act together IMHO

rabie :9

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kabir

What about Virgin?

Don't worry - they'll all be back, as long as India and Pakistan don't nuke each other.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kabir,

While it is undoubtedly a commercial disaster, routes to and from India will soon return to normality if the tensions between India and Pakistan are eased. But this disaster will pale into nothingness should the two nations have a nuclear exchange. India and Pakistan would become a barren wasteland and the effects of fallout on surrounding countries would be devastating. I sincerely hope this may be averted and some semblance of normality to the region.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

What about routes that fly over these particular regions? Will flights from the South Pacific to Europe have to fly around to avoid the zone? How does that work?

GD1

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think, airlines are exagerating a bit. I don´t really see any potential danger of war between both countries. There have been too many years with tensions, nothing new. With nuclear weapons, they know that they have to keep quiet. I hope Kabir could give a more detailed analysis

Member for

24 years 3 months

qantas pulled out 3 months ago due to poor loads.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ok so here is the deal. Air France, BA, Austrian and all have deicded together that they will cancel there flights. Although Lufthansa and KLM will continue. JAL is sending a last chartered flight on June 10th to ferry the remaining Japenese diplomats and tourists from India. Virgin will continue its flights till June 15th. If Virgin would not have been with a codeshare agreement with Air India it would have also stopped flights. They will take there decision on June 15th. The airspace will be open. But as soon if the war starts, India will first close its airspace and no flights outbound and in-bound will be allowed.

Presently Air India is under tremendous pressure as when the airlines go off it will have to accomodate for them as the traffic still is huge for Europe from here. AI is planning to lease in 3 B747s. Lufthansa announced it will continue untill the airspace is closed due to war. India also said that when the airspace will be closed, and if any inernational flights will be flying over India, they will be forced to come down as India will not take any chances because even if a war starts it will first start with air-raids.

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-06-02 AT 08:17 AM (GMT)]Rabie....all these tentions with Pakistan is happening because of China. They are giving Pak a nice helping hand. Also when the missiles were tested by Pak, Chinese engineers WERE there. And as for a nuclear attack, Pakistan wont be foolish enough to do it. Pak has 15-25 warheads with them compared to India's 100-150. Even if Pak nukes one place in India, Pakistan will be completely destroyed by India's retaliation.