bmi baby jet struck by lightning

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just heard on BBC regional news that this afternoon's bmi baby flight to Nice had to return to East Midlands just after take-off after being struck by lightning, after an external check by ground crew the plane was allowed to continue its flight, one of the passengers reported hearing a loud bang, must have been quite scary. Oh, and by the way apologies if you've already read this on the AFM forum, I accidentally posted it there first by mistake, doh!!!!!!
Regards, Dazza.:-)

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: bmi baby jet struck by lightning

Lightening isn´t supposed to be dangerous. So....mamma mia....scarry. I will take care more when I have to fly on a plane in a stormy day. Last august as I was taking off from Sofia in a Swissair A320, there were thunders and lightening all over, and I wasn´t much scared. So.....things change.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I didn't mean the lightning was scary, I was refering to the loud bang, personally if I was on a jet and I heard a loud bang, I'd be rather concerned to say the least!
Regards, Dazza.:7

Member for

24 years 3 months

Last year here at Leeds we had a huge storm and had 3 emergency landings in 3 hours!!

2 bmi commuter SAAB 340's - one was seriously damaged and off line for a week and a KLM UK Nifty Fifty

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was on a flight from Mumbai to Delhi, Jet Airways B737-800. The a/c was hit with lightning and there was a loud bang. Of course the whole flight was startled and panicky. Aircrafts can very well take lightning. Lightning can only distrupt the radar system of the a/c, although the radar system also has DR adapters which can absorb some amount of energy making damage minimum.