Air Malta orders new A320s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Aviation sources said yesterday that Air Malta will be ordering Airbus A320s with CFM engines.Talks have been held over the past weeks with Airbus and Boeing,but Airbus had the edge over Boeing in the final round of negotiations and representatives of both manufacturers were in Malta for talks early last week.The final decision on the contract, believed to be in the region of $500 million and $600 million, was taken at an Air Malta board meeting last week and is expected to be announced officially soon.

The A320s,which are to be delivered in two years time,will be leased from the International Lease Finance Corporation though they do have the option to buy the aircraft later on.Industry sources said last week that negotiations were very complex because aircraft makers made the air frame and wiring and although each had their preferred suppliers, negotiations had to be taken in hand on furnishing the aircraft, and on the supply of engines, instruments and in-flight equipment.
Air Malta already has two A320s in their fleet as well as the 737-200/300 and 400 versions.

Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3d19ede74985214e.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Air Malta orders new A320s

thanx for the news Saab....any idea will they be fasing out any B737s with the induction of the A320s?

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Air Malta orders new Airbus aircraft

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-06-02 AT 05:13 PM (GMT)]Sorry i've got some facts here wrong;they will probably be ordering A320s,however,that is not confirmed though it is known the the aircraft ordered are from the A320 family,e.g. the A319,A320 ect.

I'm not sure whats happening with the 737-200/300s though acording to Malta Media Air Malta has recently sold its fleet of Boeing 737-300s.
From what i've read KM will be phasing out all its 737 fleet within the next couple of years and will have a mixed fleet of Airbus family aircraft most probably being the A320 and A319 as mentioned above.I have herd a few rumours about what aircraft and quantity they have gone for but i'm not sure if its reliable imformation,but when KM make an official annoucement (next few days)then we shold know.

Also supposed to be announced is the introduction of the new colour scheme which I can't wait to see.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kabir,the two 737-200s (9H-ABE and 9H-ABF) will leave the company by February 2003.Not sure about the others.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great news! Air Malta are still one of my favourite airlines as I used to fly with them a lot when I was younger. Love to see the new colours as well, I was heart broken when I saw the current colours introduced as I like the old ones so much.

Member for

24 years 3 months

KM Officially Announce New Fleet

Found this on the Air Malta website:
The choice between Airbus and Boeing was not an easy one, particularly because both aircraft manufacturers as well as the engine manufacturers, made very competitive and aggressive offers. However, the overall benefits and economic results of the ILFC/Airbus/CFM package proved to be the most commercially advantageous for Air Malta, and the final decision by Air Malta’s Management and Board of Directors was based on this overall package.

The selection of Airbus was the outcome of an intensive and detailed aircraft evaluation study, which was conducted by an inter-departmental team of about 30 senior officials directed by a task force. The studies started from a clean sheet and included long-term traffic forecasts, performance studies of various aircraft (payload, range and fuel burn), extensive research of alternative cabin layouts (seats, galleys and toilets), seasonal scheduling by route, and economic projections. The internal Air Malta studies were confirmed by an independent study by Aircraft Leasing and Management, a prominent aviation consultant, while a health check was conducted by the external auditors.

The currently anticipated fleet will consist of five A320s and seven A319s though Air Malta retained the flexibility to change some of the future aircraft deliveries from one type to the other. Moreover Air Malta has retained the right to take delivery of the A321 at some future date.

The A320-200 will be configured at 168 seats while the A319-100 will be configured at 141 seats. However Air Malta will retain its popular four-abreast Club Class arrangement in the forward part of the cabin. The new seat layout will also provide enhanced comfort through a 33-inch pitch in the Club Class section.

The engines installed on the aircraft will come from CFM, an international consortium made up of America’s General Electric and France’s Snecma. The engines enable Air Malta to comply with the very latest noise regulations, including potential Stage 1V ICAO rules even though these are, strictly speaking, not applicable to existing designs. The aircraft will be environmentally friendly, in terms of reduced emissions.

When the new aircraft are fully inducted into the fleet, Air Malta will have a one-type fleet of aircraft, thus providing substantial inherent economies in crew certification and training, reduced aircraft and engine spares inventories, and better economies of scale in the production departments such as engineering, flight operations, flight services and ground operations.

Theres more at http://www.airmalta.com/newfleet.htm though above is the main bits I picked out.So its official,Air Malta will have an all Airbus fleet.Still waiting for the new c/s!