The Antonov 148

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was reading a magazine yesterday which included a design of the new Antonov AN148 regional twin-jet airliner.The aircraft,which can seat 70 people,will fly late next year with certification in 2004.

The major obstacle to this project is the poor conditions of the aviation market in both Russia and Ukraine.The AN-148 is supposed to be a replacement for the AN-24,but despite the good projected performance,the aircraft is not a major necessity for the market
but can help Antonov in its bid for state funding.

The AN-148 is primarily meant for Ukraine and other CIS member-countries.It will cruise at 880 kh and will have a maximum range of around 11,000 with 18 passengers onboard and with 70,its designed capacity,it will be able to fly 4,000km.The AN-148 will be able to replace the ageing TU-134 in the CIS,but due to poor economic conditions,its not known how many airlines may do this.

Below is a model of the aircraft.In my opinion it looks a bit like the BAe 146!
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3d7331d9c10f570c.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: The Antonov 148

surely it's more like an overgrown DO-328JET than an ARJ...

Member for

24 years 3 months

True,I forgot about the Dornier.Again the AN-148,like a lot of CIS aircraft in the past few years,looks like it has western influence.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It does have a certain good look about it though. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Why would an aircraft be designed just for Russia/Ukraine?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Not a bad design. And I agree with you Mongu, they should make plans to put this type forward to the third world countries. Antanov itself is in a bad state, another failure wont do them any good.

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-09-02 AT 12:06 PM (GMT)]I'm going from a source I found.The Antonov deputy designer general Viktor Kazurov,said "the AN-148 is primarily meant for Ukraine and other CIS member-countries"
As Kabir said,it should be marketed to other third world countries as a replacement for older aircraft.The likes of Boeing and Airbus (or Embraer,Bombadier,looking at the size of the aircraft) are way to expensive for third world countries,so a cheaper option would be these new CIS aircraft.

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is not the only such aircarft planned. One is being planned with India in colaboration with Ilyushin (forgot the name) specialy for the third world countries.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I still don't understand...

Why is the AN-148 cheaper than an ERJ? Why would Western airlines not be interested? The obvious inference is that it is lower quality.

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: The Sukhoi 80

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-09-02 AT 06:36 PM (GMT)]Whilst on the subject of russian a/c, can anyone tell me what/if any, airlines have opted to buy the Sukhoi 80?

Thanx :)
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3d73afc14e0ae956.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

That is still one stunning aircraft...Didn't Ja look at it for his airline venture?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes I did Mongu, thanks for the mention. Sadly I won't be getting into the game.

Ever since 9/11 and the fall of Ansett, as well as the rediculouse public liability claims down here (Bloody lawers chacing ambulances), costs for opperating any form of airline down here have been killed off by the spiraling costs, sorry I'm just gonna go away and have a good cry now :'(

Ok I'm back, well no one has opted for this great plane. It's a damd good one as well with very impressive qualities, the only thing I wasn't impressed with was having the toilet right behind the pilots. I mean seriously, if someone like me got in there, the pilots would be killeds in an instant of opening the doors, it would be worse than WWI ;) Besides there is the embaresment factor, no one likes to be looked at after they come out of a dunny do they? I can understand why they put it there though, I mean the plane has a conversion time of 28 min from Airline config with 30 seats, to Cargo with no seats, and the rear loading ramp is very handy.

I'm ever greatful to the chaps at KNAPO for the info they sent me, including the DVD. I might be able to copy the dvd, should anyone require a look at it, it's in AVI form anyway. Just email me and I will see what I can do! If you want pics posted of the SU-80, I can also supply them.

Give me coffee and no-one gets hurt!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Why wetsren airlines wont be interested? Simple...they dont trust Russians one bit. As modern as they make there planes the suspiscion will remain until Russian aircrafts really proove themselves.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here is another one...... looks pretty good ..... strange looking winglets. Aircrafts if proven by the Russians can be very succesful in Asia.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3d74d93c3ad57675.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great pictures.There are some lovely eastern European/Russian aircraft around!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yup...too bad till now none has been able to proove itself.

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-09-02 AT 05:43 PM (GMT)]I don't think an airline would decline a Russian aircraft purely on safety grounds, given that they would have a US/EU CofA in most cases.

Maybe the issue is jointly that they are not fuel efficient and that there is no guarantee of supply of spare parts. What was your experience on that front Ja?

Ja - some Sukhoi pics would be interestging!