What's wrong?????

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-10-02 AT 04:31 PM (GMT)]In the past few days, weeks you may say the forums have been really a dull place, i think the quality of talk has gone down drasticaly. All people are really answering are pic posts(yes i know i post a lot of them...thats just to keep the forum on a roll). In recent days lots of interesting topics have been brought up and they have virtualy gone unnoticed. Lots of times me and Saab have tried to bring out topics on what we can have some serious and a good discussion on. ALl those topics went with about 1-3 posts thats it. We tried again with Saab posting about the expansion of Alliances and me posting about Russian industry, and till now only both of us have answered each others posts.

Now i regret saying "chill out" to GD1 when he got pissed when no one answered his post on that open skies policy thread(sorry man:)).

I know many people may appose this or come with axes looking for my head....but this is what i think. Till a few weeks back we were having pretty decent discussions but now the forums gone really boring and we need to revive this up. Pics posts are good and ofcourse will keep coming from various members but we should indulge in other discussions also about the industry around the world. There have been very few questions on airlines, there future plans, there present status etc. I mean for a good discussion one doesent need to goto airwise, all members on board AW are brilliant in the aviation sector, there knowledge is great, all i am saying is we should discuss more stuff.

Well this is my opinion......comments very much welcomed.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: What's wrong?????

I value your opinion :D

I bet this a popular topic now though!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi, Kabir.

Do you think the problem might be that we have just reached a natural pause? Just like a conversation which dies from a lack of interest from those involved? I'm sure it will pick up again. Or is the problem more deep-seated than that?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is an issue that is affecting all four forums at this present time. What you say is true. We have not had a proper and notable discussion in weeks. My feelings are that we seem to dwell on picture posts and news where there is no discussion only “thanks for the news” and “Will these aircraft be replacing…” This type of conversation is all well and good but does not express any sort of opinion or criticism, which is the whole point of a discussion board. I am criminal of this also, but I think that we really need some significant topics otherwise the horrid yet inevitable situation of the forum dying will occur.
I do not want to sound pompous or to condemn members but it is the truth. I am guilty of this and I as one will attempt to alter this trend.

You have expressed your opinion and I totally agree with you. I’m sure you won’t have your head chopped off for merely expressing yourself?!?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Here here mate, I've tried reporting what I see on the news on T.V. and only get my balls chopped off. CHILL OUT.
I have looked at some of these posts, unfortunately I don't know enough about civvy stuff to answer most of them, but I attempt some sometimes and I know I look like a complete idiot in trying to respond, but at least I do have a go sometimes.

Another thing that both Kab and I were discussing in private was how the board is leaning too heavily these days on European Airline Industry Topics, it almost like the rest of the world doesn't exist, HELLO WE ARE HERE YOU KNOW.

One final point I feel should be brought up, I also feel that this board is becoming a Robin Hood outfit. By that I mean One person is the leader and the rest hang on everyword he says. I left a board because of a similar thing to this, I'd hate to loose this board as well. Sure some of us don't work in the industry, but we do know what's what other wise why would we be here. This used to be a fun place, what happened?

Scattered Intelligence Agency:- www.portalpcs.com/intel

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-10-02 AT 06:21 PM (GMT)]Kabir what you have said is very true... the forums do seem to be slowing down discussion wise, but I think this is due to what Kev said earlier --- a Natural pause.

You can only post so much to have propper discussions about before it runs out. For example theres not a lot really happing in the news about aviation at the moment.

Saab I did post a message to your "one world not expanding" post the other day, but it seems to have dissapeared?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi, Ja.

"Here here mate, I've tried reporting what I see on the news on T.V. and only get my balls chopped off. CHILL OUT."

Ja, you know better than that. I was only asking for a direct source eg channel name or website address specifically so I can check the details myself. The whole purpose of that was to avoid jumping in with both feet (which I did initially), when other evidence points to a different view.

"I have looked at some of these posts, unfortunately I don't know enough about civvy stuff to answer most of them, but I attempt some sometimes and I know I look like a complete idiot in trying to respond, but at least I do have a go sometimes."

LOL. You're not the only one guilty of that, we all are at times.

"Another thing that both Kab and I were discussing in private was how the board is leaning too heavily these days on European Airline Industry Topics, it almost like the rest of the world doesn't exist, HELLO WE ARE HERE YOU KNOW."

Why discuss it in private? Air it as a topic. Perhaps the problem there lies with the fact that some of us have little or no knowledge of the airline industry in that part of the world. So we tend not to post on subjects we have little or no knowledge of. I know I don't know too much about the airline industry full stop, let alone how it affects specific areas of the world.

"One final point I feel should be brought up, I also feel that this board is becoming a Robin Hood outfit. By that I mean One person is the leader and the rest hang on everyword he says. I left a board because of a similar thing to this, I'd hate to loose this board as well."

Now hang on Ja, is it really so long ago that you were being accused of the very same thing? There is room for everyone on here. We each have value, we all bring something different to the forum, if you are threatening to leave (again) just because you are a little upset with someone else's views how do you cope in wider society? We're talking about the future of the forum, how it can be enlivened and made more interesting to everyone and your answer is a veiled reference to leaving? Your input, just like everyone else's is invaluable.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would like to add my two cents worth if possible.

This is a really great forum, for the most part, however, I would share in Kabir's thoughts, and perhaps expand if permitted.

People do seem to be shying away from getting into more engaging conversation, and yes there may be a natural fatique happening. The slow down may also coincide with the general slow down in news from the industry (and media) as well, especailly when compared with such a news rich year (however unfortunate the circumstances to make it such).

I would agree that the forum has a European (mainly UK) and Asian focus, this could be because the magazine doesn't seem to have a higher profile in North America (from my perspective), though I definitely try posting North American topics as they come across.

I have noticed once or twice some really nasty and uncalled for retorts to some members' opinions or observations. I believe this to be quite unfortunate, as I personally use this forum as a little oasis away from day to day activities with like minded aviation enthusiasts, or professionals. Perhaps we could try not to get bated into conversations that should best be left for another forum, or website.

I enjoy visiting the site, though still a relatively new member, I look forward to future conversations with the group.

Regards,

Member for

24 years 3 months

Could this be the end of the Airliner World forum...

Lol only joking! :p

:'( I have never had a topic which everyone has posted in!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

First of all, Kabir, I can't believe you still remember that! I had actually forgotten about it. No need to apologize, it's all good. Secondly, I agree that there really isn't too much new stuff going on in the commercial sector right now. Nothing controversial, nothing new, etc. This typically is the time of year, when I personally, kind of "am out of it," so to speak, when it comes to aviation. When spring and summertime come around, then I usually "get back into it." Maybe it's the weather. I don't come in nearly as much as I do in the summertime, partly because I don't work in the summer and I have more time on my hands while I'm on hollidays. I also have been much busier, much like Mongu, as I'm in the process of purchasing a house. I know he hasn't been in here much either. That could have a lot to do with it, absence of particular members. Whenever I do check in now, I try to respond to everything that I have knowledge or interest about. I wouldn't worry too much about it. This forum will rebound.

GD1

Member for

24 years 3 months

Kev: Mate you know me better than that, ok as for the TV news stuff here are the channels I saw it ok down here:

Channel 10 TEN Network 17:00
Channel 0 SBS International Network 18:30
Channel 2 ABC National Network 19:00
Channel 9 WIN Telivision Network 00:01

As for that last comment I wrote, yes I know I was accused of that, but that is different to what is happening here, I'm not naming names (At least) and I know that he is a decent chap, but it's like what happened to me on another board- If you don't go along with them in the IN crowd, then out are cast aside and never looked at because your views differ to theirs. I'm not leaving this board, it's been too good and I have learnt heaps from it, sure my posts here have slowed somewhat, but only because of the problems that the board is having atm and the viruses that are planted throughout my virus scaner won't allow me to open a port up to post many things (Actually I'm lucky that I can post text it's that bad). And if people are wrong the fight harder to save their pride, I accept it if I'm wrong, why can't they, I've had a debate where I gave up in the end because there was no way possible that the other person was going to accept my imput even if I had the proof (Which I did).

I think the air just got a little stale and we needed to open a few windows for some fresh air, this has been provided by Kab via this post, now let us all move on.

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-10-02 AT 09:44 AM (GMT)]Wow i actually got a positive reply to this...i was expecting every body blostiring me and kicking me out of the forum by now :9.

I actually disagree saying that the civil aviation industry is not really up these days for discussions.....theres a lot of stuff to discuss. People are saying to close down LHR and make new one.....I have posted billion times about Air India, i know most of you all are not intouch with Indian aviation but you have to know its a really fast growing market here. All i am saying is discussing about aviation in a braod sense is much more interesting. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-10-02 AT 11:55 AM (GMT)]Well i like to come here in spare time, i am not in the business side of aviation, so it is hard to comment, that is stuff i know nothing about, JA, well you and i live in the same country, have the same news channels, and probably watched them nightly to get informed about Bali, Yet i am still waiting to hear about it, Surely it would have gone national by now, As for chewing your balls off, if you can't handle the facts then dont use blatent disrespect to avoid the topic, I was rather annoyed about your comment on another post about my ALLEGIEANCE TO AUSTRALIA.

But that said, i do read all the posts, i am just not business minded and some of them i can honsetly say i dont know how to respond too. I like to know whats going on in the civil aviation world, it is where i make my living and the information is muchly appreciated.
But the cheap remarks arent.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm sorry if you took insult to things I have said, I was rather hurt by things you said to me and reacted accordingly, still lets put this all behind us and move on.

Member for

24 years 3 months

A lot of the british based ppl at the mo wil b busy at this time - last chance hols in the summer, it's half term, and also if the quality of the forums goes down ppl wont check them as ofen as usual - that may b part of it at least

Member for

24 years 3 months

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-10-02 AT 08:14 AM (GMT)]I checked with my fellow Australians, and they didn't know the exact details of the QANTAS involvement in Bali. THEY'RE KILLIN' ME!!

GD1