UNITED OR VIRGIN TO US WEST COAST???

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Guys,

Im looking at going to the west coast of us, San Francisco LA, vegas etc and doing a fly drive,

I have 2 options as a packaged fly drive within budget to all the areas i wanna go for the dates etc...

My question is......... does any one know what UNITED AIRLINES are like?? W
hat Planes are used on LHR to SFO and also to LAX??
Is to worth paying an extra £200 to go with Virgin??

The flights are direct from LHR..

Please add your opinion!!

Many Thanks

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

My expereinces have been better with virgin but i have never flown to the west coast internationally - mainly Newark-Hethrow for me with virgin!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've flown with both Virgin Atlantic and United. Both are decent airlines, although I think you're in for more of a treat if you choose Virgin, especially when comparing the inflight entertainment of the two airlines.

However, I think you'd be mad to pay £200 more to fly with Virgin. United are a great airline and Channel 9 (audio) is a must - that's where you can listen in on the air traffic control.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Cheers T5 .. yeah i thought £200 was a lot if there was not much differance.... if you would of turned round and said one was like a cattle plane and the other good then £200 could of been worth it!!

Thanks for your input...

any ideas on what planes are used??

Rickt

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just about all flights from Heathrow with United are 777-200s. Virgin Atlantic utilise the 747-400 on flights to San Francisco, whilst the 747-400 and A340-600 seem to be used for flights to Los Angeles.

Member for

19 years 9 months

United are using a 747-400 (the morning flight from LHR and the early afternoon flight from SFO) and a 777-200 (afternoon departure from LHR, evening departure from SFO) for their twice daily LHR-SFO-LHR operation this summer - I know because I just got off the 777 from SFO this lunchtime!!! UA 747-400s DON'T have seat-back PTVs in economy, but the 777s do. LHR-LAX-LHR with United was meant to be one 777-200 and one 767-300 during this summer although I've not checked to see this is what actually happened - both types have PTVs in Y-class. FWIW, SFO usually goes to two 777s in the winter, but I've not checked to see if this is happening this winter, and I think LAX downgrades to just one 777 service in the winter.

Virgin use a 747-400 on SFO, and when I've seen them one 747-400 and one A340-600 on their double daily LAX operation.

Andy

Member for

17 years 6 months

Cheers for that SKYMONSTER, im wanting to go on a 747 as i have never been on one of them so that would make the trip better in my eyes!!

How was the trip??

Rickt

Member for

19 years 9 months

Rickt,

Just checked United's website as I have to go back to SFO again in late October - the UA LHR-SFO-LHR schedule changes to 2 x 777 over the last weekend of October, the traditional timetable change weekend. Not sure when you're planning to travel, but if UA runs true to form the 744 is likely to be back on one of their SFOs next summer (i.e. after the end of March 2007).

The trip was fine, but tiring as it was not a holiday. The preferred trans-Atlantic airline of the company I work for is UA so I've used them quite a lot, but fortunately I'm able to travel business class these days - not that UA economy is bad, all airlines are much of a muchness. FWIW, if you like a drink during the flight, UA (and pretty much all the other US-airlines) charge for booze $5/£3 in economy, whereas Virgin don't. Virgin have the better IFE (particularly compared to the UA 747-400 which only has the big screens in economy), but as has already been said UA are the only airline in the world to have live-ATC on their IFE system. Virgin is probably slightly better for the casual traveller (although maybe not for the frequent flyer mileage accumulators amongst us!!!) but I wouldn't pay £200 extra to fly Virgin.

Andy

Member for

19 years 1 month

I'll never fly United again....I paid ALOT of money to fly to the west coast 1st class and they downgraded the plane on 2 legs to ERJ-145s.......NEVER fly United.

Member for

17 years 6 months

cheers for that Skymonster... im look at going next summer so some changes may have accoured by then.. will see...

so if your traveling all the time on business.... can i use your airmiles!!! LOL!!

Cheers

Member for

18 years 8 months

UA are first class i flew them in 2001 LHR-JFK-LHR on a 777-200 and i must say they are some of the best flights i have ever had. Comfert is 10/10, food is 10/10, entertainment 10/10 with PTV's, complimentry drinks and snacks and of course excellent crew and 777s are brilliant planes.
Why go with Virgin when you can get an excellent experiance with United.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Having flown both airlines to the States recently (and am about to go back to SFO with Virgin in November), I'd defo pay up to £75 extra to fly Virgin, but £200 out of your own pocket is a bit too much, I'd say. Virgin have got to be the best for IFE, although I didn't have many complaints against United. Legroom felt slightly better on United, although I haven't done any homework on this.

VIRGIN VIRGIN VIRGIN........hurrah hurrah hurrah

Member for

17 years 6 months

thanks for the input... im going to wait till end of november before i book it now, so hopefully the prices may have changed.... (GONE DOWN I HOPE) as its a PACKAGED deal so as you know the prices of these change week to week..

Cheers

Rickt

Member for

20 years 6 months

I have flown from SFO to London using both, UA and Virgin on several occasions.

If you are flying coach, I would choose UA for one very good reason - Star Alliance. And on a 10 hour flight, no matter which Airline you take, your posterior will be sore by the time you land.

Besides, I want a Jack and *Coke*, not Jack and *Virgin Cola* (don't even get me started on Virgin Vodka :mad: )

The only redeeming feature of Virgin is the excellent in-flight entertainment system. But not worth spending an extra 200 bucks of your own money.

Member for

18 years

Having spent many years working for United and flown on them more times than i can remember, I just took my first trip on Virgin recently, there is no competition in my view, i would now go Virgin every time.

Everything about Virgin was just so much classier than UA, the in flight entertainment was miles ahead of UA, i know UA has Channel 9 but you take you chances that the Pilot switches it on, they don't always.

Member for

17 years 6 months

cheers for the input....... re priced the packaged and its £189.00 more with virgin...............

as its over 3k (GBP) whats another £189......... to get a better servie......

however.... any one know any other companys that offer a fly drive package... San fran... or LA... drving to Vegas and all the sights on route etc etc etc........ (main tourist points!"!)

Rickt