FlyGlobespan set to fly GLA-BOS..

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

Taken off Pprune which in turn was taken from the Travel Trade Gazette..

Note the mistake ;).

Friday, August 11, 2006

Scottish no-frills airline Flyglobespan is to launch a daily service from Glasgow to Boston, and is looking for code-share partners to spread its reach further into the US.
Flyglobespan will start the service on May 28 next year, offering business, premium economy and no-frills seats.
Flights will depart Glasgow at 11.00, arriving in Boston at lunchtime. The return flight will leave Boston at about 18.00, arriving in Glasgow at 07.00. The carrier will use a Boeing 737-800.
The service will carry about 255 people, with 40-50 seats in premium economy.
Passengers choosing not to order a meal can opt to go “no-frills”. Seat pitches will range from 30 inches to 50 inches for sleeper seats.
The move comes at a time when some North American airlines have been cutting transatlantic links to Scotland.
Tom Dalrymple, chairman, managing director and owner of Flyglobespan parent Globespan Group, is billing the Boston route as the first significant attempt to run a no-frills transatlantic service since Sir Freddie Laker’s Skytrain in the 1970s.
He added that the airline was open to code-share deals with other airlines ahead of any resolution to US-UK talks on flying restrictions. Dalrymple said he expected those discussions to conclude by the end of next year.
Talking about the Boston route, he said: “That aircraft could go onwards, and [any] new open skies arrangements will allow us to fly further.
“Interesting code-shares are something we will be seeking to get our passengers onwards into the depths of the US, and also to widen the distribution of product within the US coming into Scotland.”

Fantastic news for Glasgow! GSM really are going for the long haul market at the moment.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

The rumour confirmed at last.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Woah! 738! :eek: Thats gonna be interesting!

Member for

20 years 11 months

225 people on a 738... comfortable ;). (Of course I know its just a mistake.... ;)).

Member for

20 years

Surely thats what the second 757 will be for. I think the seating numbers are wrong.

Member for

20 years 11 months

I would expect a 767 with a 40-50 seat premium section.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Unless they mean a 74 7-8... :diablo:

Now that would be something!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Using my sourced knowledge I can confirm it is a 738 that they're launching with!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Using my sourced knowledge I can confirm it is a 738 that they're launching with!

Doesnt have big enough ETOPS rating and keeping to rule would mean tech stops surely? Iceland/Halifax?

Member for

24 years 3 months

To ask a question I asked on another thread... Will the 739ER have suitable ETOPS rating for say a leg like GLA-BOS ?

Member for

19 years 5 months

To ask a question I asked on another thread... Will the 739ER have suitable ETOPS rating for say a leg like GLA-BOS ?

ETOPS isn't a qualification type thing for each airfract type (although I think Boeing are now proudcing ETOPS ready aircraft?). Most modern twin engined jets can get some form of ETOPS if teh airline wants it. So if GSM want to fly GLA-BOS on a 738W then there won't be much of a problem in getting the aircraft certified, assuming its not already.

*I'm 99% certain on that but if theres something incorret then please feel free to point it out*

Gaz

Member for

17 years 9 months

Surely the 738 with winglets can make???

What's the range on them if not???

Member for

18 years 10 months

Whether or not a 737-800 will make it or not, the article says that the service will carry about 225 people, and as LBARULES has already pointed out - that's just not possible:D

Not even the charters could cram that many seats in :D

Member for

17 years 9 months

The 737-900ER would make it and carry 215 pax according to the boeing website.

Member for

18 years 10 months

The 737-900ER would make it and carry 215 pax according to the boeing website.

That's in an all Y class config, though - with no premium seats.
And bear in mind that the manufacturers will like to 'ham up' the range of the aircraft, i.e. quote the airframe's maximum possible range instead of the standard range with a full load + freight etc.

Member for

17 years 9 months

Okay Im not going to argue but it would be good if they did it with a 737

Member for

20 years 1 month

Whether or not a 737-800 will make it or not, the article says that the service will carry about 225 people, and as LBARULES has already pointed out - that's just not possible:D

Not even the charters could cram that many seats in :D

Ah yes but a simple typo can turn 155 into 255... 155 would be more realistic. Whereas it would be a pretty big typo to turn what should have read B767-300 into B737-800. ;) However, knowing journalists when it comes to aviation stories I wouldn't be surprised if both seating capcity and aircraft type were wrong....!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Ah yes but a simple typo can turn 155 into 255... 155 would be more realistic. Whereas it would be a pretty big typo to turn what should have read B767-300 into B737-800. ;) However, knowing journalists when it comes to aviation stories I wouldn't be surprised if both seating capcity and aircraft type were wrong....!

:D :D Getting their facts right has never been a priority for many journalists!!

Member for

19 years 4 months

And I can confirm that you are speaking a load of rubbish :D
The route is to be operated using a Boeing 767-300ER.
GSM will have 2 x 763s at GLA, and 1 at MAN.

Member for

20 years 1 month

And I can confirm that you are speaking a load of rubbish :D
The route is to be operated using a Boeing 767-300ER.
GSM will have 2 x 763s at GLA, and 1 at MAN.

767!? Why?? Somehow i don't see the need for one on the GLA-BOS route, 757 or 738 looks much more reasonable

They won't fill a daily 767, if there is on onward connections at BOS!

Member for

19 years 5 months

767!? Why?? Somehow i don't see the need for one on the GLA-BOS route, 757 or 738 looks much more reasonable

They won't fill a daily 767, if there is on onward connections at BOS!

I think they will be relying on the fact that if the price is right then many people will decide to fly to the destination. Just look at FR, a lot of the places they fly to you will never have heard of, but as the price is low enough people fly there.

Again they are taking a risk in offering it daily, but the same goes for SFB (fair enough its a lot more popular for holiday makers than BOS) but they managed to achieve 87% loads on GLA-SFB-GLA in July which I think is quite remarkable.

So if they can get a partnership with say JetBlue then I think the route could be made to work. Especially if B6 do some good advertising at their end.

Gaz