Loud, Late Plane At LBA...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi All,

I have to ask this question because I'm intrigued. Around 5 minutes ago, at 22:50, Saturday the 10th June, something very, VERY loud flew over my house 8 miles south-west of LBA. It sounded almost like a 732, but lounder. I'm puzzled. According to the LBA website the last flight departed at 22:35, and it was a Thomson flight to Ibiza, which I very much doubt would be loud enough to rattle my windows (unless the pilot decided to do an ultra-low fly-by over my estate).

Does anyone have even the slightest idea what it was? A YAK again perhaps? Any information is greatly appreciated. There were 3 of us LBA locals sending texts saying 'what the hell was that?!'

Paul

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

I'm not sure what it could be, although I'm not local to LBA. Just seems a strange way to (if it was) arrive or depart from Leeds. Looking at google earth, it seems weird, as you say, to be over your way, as when at my grans in Morley, you can see them arriving (on 32) and departing (from 14). As for the other runways, for a 32 departure, it seems totally in the wrong direction for aircraft to be over Bradford, as does a 14 arrival, and they are way off the runway heading.

Member for

21 years

Theres been a lot of military stuff about recently, not unusual to hear a fast jet over the city centre, perhaps something using the facilities en route to one of the local bases?

Member for

18 years 8 months

Theres been a lot of military stuff about recently, not unusual to hear a fast jet over the city centre, perhaps something using the facilities en route to one of the local bases?

Mark, I've lived here for 25 years, believe me, it's VERY unusual to hear what three of us heard tonight mate!

Paul

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi Mark and Paul

I have to ask this question because I'm intrigued. Around 5 minutes ago, at 22:50, Saturday the 10th June, something very, VERY loud flew over my house 8 miles south-west of LBA. It sounded almost like a 732, but lounder. I'm puzzled. According to the LBA website the last flight departed at 22:35, and it was a Thomson flight to Ibiza, which I very much doubt would be loud enough to rattle my windows (unless the pilot decided to do an ultra-low fly-by over my estate).

It was a RAF VC10.

By the way guys Jet2 have big problems at the moment. B757-200 G-LSAA has gone tec at LBA. The MAN Based B757-200 G-LSAB was brought back to LBA today as well as an Flightline 146. (This is Not the MAN based G-FTLC, this one posistioned in from Milan last night) On friday night 2, Jet2 B737-300's operated to Palma in replacement of The normal B757. Tenerife was operated by a Futura B737-400 and Jet2.com B737-300, Dusseldorf was operated by the flightline 146. while the sole remaining LBA based B757 G-LSAC operated to Faro.

Big delays this eveing again hence the reason why G-LSAB is back at LBA tonight. She's due to return back to MAN later tonight/Early Hours.

All acounts A Boeing 767 is currently on stand by for tomorrow if the problem persists.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Sounds as if they are having big problems. Who owns the B767 thats on stand?

Member for

18 years 8 months

It was a RAF VC10.

It was?! I REALLY wish I'd have seen the days when there were more of them around. I like noisy planes. :D Thanks for the info!

Paul

Member for

19 years 11 months

Sounds as if they are having big problems. Who owns the B767 thats on stand?

It sounds like it could be the Flyglobespan machine or it could be the flyjet which is currently sat at MAN??

MORE

Tonights Jet2 Palma service again operated by 2 B737's according to the LBA live arrivals. LS258 has landed at 00:00 While an second flight from Palma was due at 00:35 as LS258.

Member for

18 years 3 months

AAARRRGGGG I can't belive i missed the VC10, i live in Cookridge (Leeds, under the 32 flight path) Approx 1.9 miles (according to Yorkshire Air Ambulance) and i was going to have a look but for some reason decided against it:(. I was going to say the loud noise lasted to long to be a fast jet.

Member for

20 years

It sounds like it could be the Flyglobespan machine or it could be the flyjet which is currently sat at MAN??
From what I am told, that Flyjet machine has a major structural problem and won't be going anywhere in a hurry.

Member for

17 years 11 months

it seems totally in the wrong direction for aircraft to be over Bradford, as does a 14 arrival, and they are way off the runway heading.

I live in Heaton, Bradford and every ten minutes-20 minutes there are planes flying over my house which are very low. And at my school (beckfoot school, Bingley) its the same

Member for

18 years 8 months

I was going to say the loud noise lasted to long to be a fast jet.

Not really you can hear a Tornado GR4 & Tornado F3 for a long time and they are very loud wish I had one :diablo: , don't know if it was a RAF VC 10 they are only very loooud when they take off. What airport is near LBA?

James

Member for

18 years 3 months

I know the VC10 does use a lot of thrust because the one i went on last summer at Brize Norton, used a huge amount of thrust. When you are sat on it you can not feel it as much because the RAF ones have their seats set the opposite way. (so you face the rear of the aircraft)

Member for

18 years 4 months

Not really you can hear a Tornado GR4 & Tornado F3 for a long time and they are very loud wish I had one :diablo: , don't know if it was a RAF VC 10 they are only very loooud when they take off. What airport is near LBA?

James

Nearest airports to LBA are going to be RAF LEEMING, Durham tees valley i think, if any of the LBA crew want to correct me on this go ahead.

Member for

18 years 8 months

They only appear to be loud on take-off because they're climbing rapidly, and the further away from the plane you are, the less sound hits you. Of course, they generally use more thrust on take-off than cruise, but it's still not going to be quiet. If it's flying relatively low even two hours after take-off it will still be VERY loud!

Paul

Mate I spent two hours at RAF Brize Norton on my hoilday in cotswold the only time I found them to be loud was on Take off.When they flew over are cottage we was staying at they where not loud at all but then again it could be me. I love RAF Brzie Notron I wish we go back to cotswold next year so I can visit again and see me the lovely VC-10's before they retire :(

James

Member for

18 years 8 months

Mate I spent two hours at RAF Brize Norton on my hoilday in cotswold the only time I found them to be loud was on Take off.When they flew over are cottage we was staying at they where not loud at all but then again it could be me. I love RAF Brzie Notron I wish we go back to cotswold next year so I can visit again and see me the lovely VC-10's before they retire :(

James

I deleted that post 20 minutes ago after realising I've never actually heard a VC-10 take off. :) How long did it take you to compose that reply?!

Anyway, that aside, the one that flew over my house last night had certainly not left the runway in the last 20 seconds, and it shook the windows in my house.

Paul

Member for

18 years 8 months

Nearest airports to LBA are going to be RAF LEEMING, Durham tees valley i think, if any of the LBA crew want to correct me on this go ahead.

RAF Leeming that a brilliant RAF Base been there loads off times. Don't know if it is close to LBA at all RAF Linton on Ouse Might be closer but I don't Know if big RAF jets got there

James

Member for

18 years 8 months

I deleted that post 20 minutes after relising I've never actually heard a VC-10 take off. :) How long did it take you to compose that reply?!

Anyway, that aside, the one that flew over my house last night had certainly not left the runway in the last 20 seconds, and it shook the windows in my house.

Paul

:D A long time lol I had to go and do something which took me 10 mins to do :rolleyes: .Was there at VC 10 in a LBA at all?

James

Member for

20 years 11 months

I was one of the LBA regulars texting about! Was incredibly noisy, thought that Ryanair had brought back one of their 732's for us!

I've been saying to Paul lately that Jet2 seem to swapping aircraft round alot, G-CELI and G-CELA were at LBA on Friday, not regulars, and G-CELC and G-CELS were at MAN yesterday, generally LBA regulars!

Member for

18 years 4 months

RAF Leeming that a brilliant RAF Base been there loads off times. Don't know if it is close to LBA at all RAF Linton on Ouse Might be closer but I don't Know if big RAF jets got there

James

Thats what i was thinking leemings problery the only place near enough to take a big jet.