Spotting in New York.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

This summer I will go to New York (aug2 - aug10). Anyone familiar with spotting at its airports? I intend to do 2 or 3 days of spotting at EWR and JFK if possible. Preferrably I would not want to hire a car, so the spots should be accesible by public transport.

Also, on the way back I got 3 hours to kill in DTW (got to do something to fly a DC9). With this time getting landside will not be possible, so how are the views airside? And how wise would it be to go around the terminal with the Canon and telelens? Will there be no problems, or can I expect captain America to harass me for being a terrorist.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

This summer I will go to New York (aug2 - aug10). Anyone familiar with spotting at its airports? I intend to do 2 or 3 days of spotting at EWR and JFK if possible. Preferrably I would not want to hire a car, so the spots should be accesible by public transport.

Also, on the way back I got 3 hours to kill in DTW (got to do something to fly a DC9). With this time getting landside will not be possible, so how are the views airside? And how wise would it be to go around the terminal with the Canon and telelens? Will there be no problems, or can I expect captain America to harass me for being a terrorist.

I've never flown through DTW so I can't help you there. I've never spotted at any of the NY airports, I've just flown in and out of all of them. There is a really good website you can visit that has spotting maps and directions for LGA and JFK. I just looked at it and they only have directions if you have a car for JFK, but they have directions with public transport for LGA. No info is posted yet for EWR. It's www.nycaviation.com. Phil Derner is the president. He's a rather popular photographer on a.net for photos @ JFK. I met him at at Airliners04 when it was in LAX a couple years ago. Really nice guy. If you go on there or contact him at [email]phil@nycaviation.com[/email], I'm sure he'll give you some useful info. Hope this helps. What are you doing the other 7 or 8 days in NY?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've never flown through DTW so I can't help you there. I've never spotted at any of the NY airports, I've just flown in and out of all of them. There is a really good website you can visit that has spotting maps and directions for LGA and JFK. I just looked at it and they only have directions if you have a car for JFK, but they have directions with public transport for LGA. No info is posted yet for EWR. It's www.nycaviation.com. Phil Derner is the president. He's a rather popular photographer on a.net for photos @ JFK. I met him at at Airliners04 when it was in LAX a couple years ago. Really nice guy. If you go on there or contact him at [email]phil@nycaviation.com[/email], I'm sure he'll give you some useful info. Hope this helps.
Thanks!

What are you doing the other 7 or 8 days in NY?
Rumour has it New York is a rather big city with nice atmosphere and museums. Suppose I have to spend at least a few days there. ;)

Perhaps I might include a day trip to Dulles for the air and space museum. Depends on how expensive and time consuming the flights/trains to Washington are.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Northwest has a really nice terminal in DTW. Tons of glass give plenty of viewing opportunities of the ramp. I don't know what you're looking for but I don't think you should have much trouble entertaining yourself there. Make sure you check out the "trippy" tunnel connecting their 2 terminals.

Member for

19 years 9 months

In general, it depends whether you want to spot, or photograph. At EWR or in its immediate vacinity, you will likely get major grief if you're seen with a camera. I'm not sure how easy EWR is for just spotting, as I have no interest in spotting myself. At JFK, it is possible to spot discretely by riding the airtrain around the terminals, but its no good for photography. For photography at JFK, there are a few places in the terminals but you're likely to get questioned there too. For photography you need a car so you can get out to places like Howard Beach (don't think the air train takes you to the right place). Having said all of that, LGA tends to be fairly friendly - there's some big windows in one of the terminals and as long as you call the airport police when you arrive to tell them what you're doing, they let you alone. Likewise, a walk from the terminals alongside Grand Central Parkway either to Plane View Park or the other way for Expressway Visual arrivals will yield some fairly nice pics with little hassle likely.

As suggested above, take a look at nycaviation.com for more detailed information.

Andy