RAF Valley terminal approved!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

A commercial airport might be near me soon!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5055956.stm

I'll prolly never use it, but great news for the local economy

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

:D Great new for you.

Can't see a 737 there as the BBC do though somehow :D...

Member for

20 years 1 month

LOL maybe not yet, but RYR have expressed an interest in operating a STN service there :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

What i tell you elgan!

Member for

18 years 9 months

No you cant turn RAF Valley into passagers ops stays RAF forever :diablo: unless pass ops are done by RAF Tristars and VC-10's :cool:

James

Member for

18 years 3 months

Why? Anglesey has a population of about 4. I bet it closes after about a year. Another Manston i think

Member for

20 years 1 month

Why? Anglesey has a population of about 4. I bet it closes after about a year. Another Manston i think

Taking the pee? Or just being plain ignorant?

This service is NOT for Anglesey, its for the North Wales corridor.
The Assembly are expanding their offices to a number of sites here in North Wales, with the biggest in Llandudno Junction, about 15 miles from where i live, and about 30 miles from RAF Valley, via the A55 or North Wales Coast railway line.

The whole point of this link if for these workers to commute from the North to South, missing out on what feels like the longest road in the world, the A470, trust me, its long, or missing out on a 5 hour direct train link, which takes you mostly thru the Marches and over the border into England, and runs every 2 hours, with the 1st train not getting into Cardiff Central till after 9am!

Also it offers other buisness people the chance to do a day's work in Cardiff, and be back home for the evening or weekend. I know at least 10 people who does this every 2 weeks, and for them, a 30 min airlink to CWL would mean a lot less hassle.

It would also improve the intra-Wales infrastucture, which as i pointed out to you, is not the best in the world. Thats due to the fact that there is a great peice of soil and rock going right thru the heart of Wales, which cannot be removed, and i don't want it to be removed :D

It might be just a TAD expensive for my wallet for a short trip anyway, but the fact is, it IS needed, and RAF Valley is the only option, but the best, as it has radar coverage, ample runway length, and an excellent rail and road network right next door!

Not sure if DUB would be a success, as Stena and Irish Ferries are really strugling with Pax numbers at the moment.

But if RYR do up their interest in a STN rotation, then the local area might be rewarded very nicely. Do remember, there is massive demand for transport to the Snowdonia National Park,i know as i work for them, and an airlink to London, would increase the number of visitors even more, and keep me in a very nice job :D

P.S And were not the back of beyond either

Member for

21 years

Oh how I would love to rip into every point you just made Elgan, however its a nice day and I have to meet you at least twice this summer, so I might just keep my mouth shut for once ;) :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

Oh how I would love to rip into every point you just made Elgan, however its a nice day and I have to meet you at least twice this summer, so I might just keep my mouth shut for once ;) :D

Good idea ;) :D

Member for

19 years 1 month

London link could well be popular. I'm not sure on the accessibility of the area by car/train but I'm sure it would be great news for the local area & tourism.

Member for

20 years 1 month

London link could well be popular. I'm not sure on the accessibility of the area by car/train but I'm sure it would be great news for the local area & tourism.

Well you have 5 direct trains a day from London to North Wales, with 4 heading to Holyhead, and 1 heading to Llandudno. There are plans to increase this in 2008.

Roads are a problem. The main link thru the National Park, i.e the A5, has been severely affected by a 1 mile road closure at Maerdu, which means an extra 45 min journey to get to honeypot locations like Betws-y-Coed, which is my nearest village from mine and this closure has no estimated time of repoening, which is worrying many buinesses here. Other trunk routes are the A55, which link up with the M56, and ultimatley the M6.

So if, and i say if a LON link was to be started, it would be a welcome addition, but i think a number of people here are even sceptical that the CWL link will start!

Member for

18 years 6 months

As an independant observer I reckon this should be good for the local economy, but that under £100 fare sounds ominous to me, would I be right in thinking that this route would come under the PSO proposals for wales, and if so whats the odds that a similar scheme to that up in scotland whereby those who really need the route get 40% payed for them.

The BBC article claims, "an Under 50 Seat Aircraft" - who in the area runs them, only person I know who does round that way is Air Southwest, unless Air Wales were to come back.

I have to agree with the person quoted in the article stating the road link needs updating, but I believe a balance should be struck, you can't abandon the road - as not every one will be able to afford/want to use the air link so these must be catered for - yet the air route should be provided as well,

Wozza

Member for

20 years 1 month

Totally agree Wozza, and it will be a PSO route for 3 years at least.

The A470 is being upgraded annually, again, just 2 miles down the road from me, they've spend millions in widening and straightning the A470 between Bwtws-y-Coed and Dowlyddelan.
Trouble is, it was only 5 miles, and took 4 years plus a lot of taxpayer's money to complete.
So its going to be one long journey to upgrade the parts which run thru the Cambrians further south :p

Member for

18 years 3 months

i'm not sure that the dublin link will be very succesful, back in the 80's it was tried with dublin city helicopters flying large sikorsky s-61's, but passenger numbers were so few it folded after a while.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The BBC article claims, "an Under 50 Seat Aircraft" - who in the area runs them, only person I know who does round that way is Air Southwest, unless Air Wales were to come back.

Eastern Airways?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Eastern Airways?

Forgot them, when will the operator be announced?

Member for

20 years 1 month

Forgot them, when will the operator be announced?

Not sure, but if it WILL start next year then i#m sure we'll see an announment about the Autumn time.

EZE would be my best bet too

Member for

19 years 3 months

Well you have 5 direct trains a day from London to North Wales, with 4 heading to Holyhead, and 1 heading to Llandudno. There are plans to increase this in 2008.

My almost anorak knowledge of travelling on the Virgin Trains network says from experience...a London Air link (for those that actually pay ;)) would be superb. The trains from North Wales are loco hauled electrics as far as Crewe, which results in a 20 minute delay here because disconnecting the engine infront sends the electronics into crazy mode, or overcrowded Voyagers which smell!

It'll never be a large airport out at Valley, to be honest I can't see it being much of a success outside of 2 or 3 niche destinations.

Couple of interesting things will come from this, environmentalists...whats better..cars or an air service!

Also, how the civvies will fit into the oft unpredictable RAF ops, including student fast jet jockeys :eek:

Member for

20 years 1 month

The Pendolinos are scheduled to leave the North Wales line in 2008, with upgraded Super Voyagers operating instead on an hourly basis to Chester, and a dedicated set operating from Chester to Holyhead

Thats the plan anyway :p

Member for

19 years 3 months

It'll never happen.

Virgin trains are bloody rubbish.

Member for

18 years 6 months

If it does go ahead, I bet the management of Air Wales are going to severley kick themselves for not being able to operate an efficient service...as they would have been able to of offered the half-hour service to Cardiff...

Tbh though, I doubt it will become a substaintially important airport, because it is in an 'out-of-the-way' area, and the sphere of influence around it will probably make people prefer to fly direct from Cardiff. On the plus side, a service to Cardiff in half an hour, that would usually take up to 4hrs by car has got to be an advantage for anyone who decides to operate the route? I bet the air-fare will be quite high for the privilage.