762ER Engine fire at LAX

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

I'm surprised this hasn't featured on any forums I monitor yet.

clicky
Warning, link takes you to pop up city! Jetphotos.net No less that 6 pop ups were blocked when I first accessed that link.

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

Here's a safer link from Airliners with a good shot HERE

Member for

19 years

Here's a safer link from Airliners with a good shot HERE

Jetphotos is safe :rolleyes: just because it has pop-ups doesn't mean it's not.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Jetphotos is safe :rolleyes: just because it has pop-ups doesn't mean it's not.

He meant save as in free of pop ups ;)

Member for

20 years 11 months

That's quite a mess it's made there!!!

Member for

19 years 1 month

Spotters aren't a feature of US airports and due to it happening on an engine run and therefore no pax, no news!

Member for

19 years 2 months

Apart from one naffed up engine, I can't see there being *that* much work to be done on the aircraft ;)

Member for

19 years

The wing appears to be pretty badly mucked up on the left hand side. Wouldn't surprise me if they scrapped it - the plane is nearly 20 years old.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Ouch looks messy, the thing you have to consider with engine fires is how much internal damage was done to the wing!

Member for

19 years 8 months

Just come out of Maitenance, and doing engine run-ups

Member for

18 years 9 months

Just come out of Maitenance, and doing engine run-ups

So back in service then :D

Member for

19 years 4 months

Personally speaking I only ever get 1 pop up from Jetphotos which isn't too bad...still a minor pain though...

Mind you - it would be interesting to know exactly what caused the fire in the first place eh? I wonder what packed up?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Here's a link to link to some PICS . It seems the #2 (right) engine failed first shedding a disk (not a fan blade) which ripped through the lower fuselage, wing and somehow into the #1 (left) engine. The result was a double engine failure with a fuel leak which ignited causing the damage. :eek:

I've never seen something like this before, just as well it happened on the ground, that's for sure.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It seems the #2 (right) engine failed first

Looks to me like the No.1 engine failed first, the huge damage to the cowling and subsequent fire damage to the wing/flaps and to a lesser extent the fuselage give it away, the damage to the No.2 engine appears to be from the errant fan disk which departed the No.1 engine, you can still see what appears to be part of the disk protruding from the rear of the engine.

-Dazza :)

Member for

18 years 3 months

Dazza, on second thoughts you could well be right. In any case, a real example of the power of those engines. It must have been interesting to watch, thankfully no injuries. :)

Member for

20 years

It seems the uploader has removed the pictures from both A.net and JB.net.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I noticed the photos semm to have disappeared as well, maybe because of the subsequent investigation into the cause?

redsquare, I concur, the energy released when one of those fan disks lets go must be enormous, I read somewhere its not unusual to finds parts over a kilometre away following an uncontained failure! :eek:

-Dazza

Member for

24 years 2 months

Some of the a.netters on their thread were rather optimistic that they would be able to repair that mess. Now, I'm not in the business of repairing airframes, but that looks pretty totalled to me. The repairs have to be worth more than the cost of a 20 y/o 762. Airlines aren't exactly swiping up the plethora of them that are parked in the deserts at the moment.

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'd say you were right George, i think it's destined to become soda cans!!