BLACKPOOL

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 10 months

in 5 years time what do you think Blackpool airport will be like
do you think it wil b as busy as LPL

also whats the largest aircraft that operates there and what size they use on the jet 2 flights

Original post

Member for

17 years 10 months

ok is it a popular route to tfs

Member for

18 years 8 months

Don't understand why Blackpool is quite a sucess really. Afterall the town is only small and Manchester and Liverpool are very near. Ok Blackpool maybe a UK tourist destination but its not the tourists who fly to Tenerife is it, its mainly locals and the surrounding area.

Member for

17 years 10 months

the town is only small

no its not its big

quite a good opulation

a uk tourist destination

its the uks number 1 resort

Member for

18 years 6 months

Has there been any decision made as to what they are going to call it? There was talk of them re-naming it after a Radio 1 DJ wasn't there? I sent them an e-mail to suggest potential names, but I haven't recieved a reply as yet...

Member for

18 years 3 months

Has there been any decision made as to what they are going to call it? There was talk of them re-naming it after a Radio 1 DJ wasn't there? I sent them an e-mail to suggest potential names, but I haven't recieved a reply as yet...

Hope it's not named after anyone!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Naming airports after people has been banned by the CAA apparently.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Where did you hear that from?

Member for

18 years 9 months

That's only for operational reasons. For example if (God forbid) they wanted to rename Gatwick, on all the charts it would still remain as "Gatwick".
That wouldn't stop BAA naming it for commercial reasons as "Gareth Southgate International"

Member for

17 years 9 months

Im In Blackpool Near the airport at the moment and its pretty busy with small aircraft but if more larger civil jets start landing there its going to be a bit of a pain having to listen to jets fly past all day :D Please can somebody reply to this message

Member for

24 years 2 months

Actually 737dude from a nuisance perpective most residents living near airports prefer commercial aircraft to light aircraft. Commmercial jets have a far higher rate of climb and move much faster, therefore they are a momentary nuisance. Light aircraft don't tend to climb so fast, take longer to fly out and tend to be used for circuits which annoy local residents. So overall some aircraft will be noisier, but in fact the nuisance level may be less by moving more to commercial ops. BUT remember that the airport would need to grow to a substantial size before the light aircraft were actually squeezed out at all anyway.

In terms of whether BLK can grow to LPL's size, the answer is 'unlikely'. It has a good location in that it is pretty much at the end of a motorway which makes it easily accesible, and the mindset of LCC travellers is that they'll happily travel in their cars for a further 45 mins if the flight is cheaper. In addition BLK has a wide catchment area covering lancashire and even southern Cumbria. BUT, it does not have the space to expand to the scale of LPL. The apron space is currently constrained, but development of this may be hindered by its location as much of the site falls within Greenbelt and Fylde may eb unlikely to allow sufficient development on the site to accomodate excessive growth...we shall see.

Member for

17 years 10 months

its a shame

mids you they allwqays find space

Member for

18 years 3 months

Oh, thank goodness for that. :D

Member for

18 years

Has there been any decision made as to what they are going to call it? There was talk of them re-naming it after a Radio 1 DJ wasn't there?

It was rumoured to being named Jo Whitely Int'l a month or so ago but I've not heard anything about it since. As a result of this our fourth B757 (G-LSAD) was then rumoured to be named 'Jet2 Jo Whitely' although once again, not heard anything since...

Member for

20 years 2 months

Hope it's not named after anyone!

They should stick with it traditional name “Squires Gate”, nothing wrong with that in my books

Member for

18 years 3 months

They should stick with it traditional name “Squires Gate”, nothing wrong with that in my books

Squires Gate Airport? Sounds strange. Nothing wrong with Blackpool Airport either, its less confusing.