Blair gets greenlight for "Blairforce 1"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

Read in the Daily Mail that Tony Blair is to get his own Boeing BBJ or AirbusCJ, and two helicopters which will be used as Royal/ministerial transport. Gordon Browns Treasurey Dept isnt picking up the tab, Funds are coming from the Ministry of Defence,Foreign and Commonwealth Office,Home Office and a token amount from the Monarchy.

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hope he gets the AirbusCJ Wonder what the two Choppers will be.

James

Member for

19 years 2 months

It would make sense to pick up an Airbus CJ.

However, a question would be, when has the UK Government ever made sense!

Member for

18 years 6 months

I'd imagine the range and size of the BBJ3 would be more desirable, but will see :rolleyes:

What a shame if Blair and Bush are at the same place at the same time though....Blairs little corporate jet sitting beside Bush's VC25A! You can just picture the scene as if two men are standing at urinals together, both 'take a peak' and the 'larger' of the two just looks up and smiles!

Member for

19 years 9 months

I'd imagine the range and size of the BBJ3 would be more desirable, but will see :rolleyes:

What a shame if Blair and Bush are at the same place at the same time though....Blairs little corporate jet sitting beside Bush's VC25A! You can just picture the scene as if two men are standing at urinals together, both 'take a peak' and the 'larger' of the two just looks up and smiles!

You're quite right the British government should get an A380 :D :diablo:

Member for

19 years 9 months

You're quite right the British government should get an A380 :D :diablo:

OI!!!!!!! :eek:

I work bloody hard and pay my taxes, Tony Blair doesnt need a flying Gin Palace split on two levels!

But then again....have you seen his wife! :D

Member for

21 years

I still dont believe this is any more confirmed than it has been for the last 9 years. This stroy gets floated annually in the Daily Mail just when they fancy a dig.

Member for

19 years 11 months

By the time the plane will be delivered, it might then be called
Brown(e) Force 1
or even
Cameron Force 1
:p :diablo: :D

Member for

18 years 1 month

There's a BBJ3?,i assume it's based on the 737-900?

Member for

24 years 3 months

There's a BBJ3?,i assume it's based on the 737-900?

The BBJ3 is based on the 757. Not sure if the 739 would be a good candidate for a BBJ conversion, it does not quite have the range that would be expected from a biz jet that size. A 757 is only slightly larger but has much more range.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Blair doesn't deserve a Tiger Moth let alone a BBJ or Airbus.... He seems to do just fine with a BA777 when he moves about.... I wonder if they charter the entire aircraft for such trips - I somehow can't see it being filled - another waste...

Member for

18 years 10 months

Well - can't blame him for wanting to make a quick getaway now can we :)

Member for

19 years 5 months

Indeedy Phil - even 3 times!! LOL

Member for

18 years 9 months

In other countries in Europe, though, isn't transport of Prime Ministers / Presidents (or even Kings/Queens) usually carried out by the airforce of the country concerned? I'm probably wrong but in Europe there doesn't seem to be many airplanes especailly dedicated to such tasks in the same way as Air Force One is in the USA? Wasn't it until one point carried out by a creaking old VC-10 here in the UK?

Member for

18 years 3 months

If Blair does get his new toy will it be operated by the RAF or a private company?

Member for

19 years 9 months

If it goes ahead, it would be a disgrace if it goes to Boeing... The government should support British workers by buying a European aeroplane, that is in this case an Airbus 319.

Andy

Member for

18 years 6 months

The BBJ3 is based on the 757. Not sure if the 739 would be a good candidate for a BBJ conversion, it does not quite have the range that would be expected from a biz jet that size

The BBJ3 is based on the 737-900ER. Think it's still in development due to the fact that the 900 hasn't been around for long itself. Couldn't find anything on the Boeing site to back this up......but I'm pretty sure it's the case

Member for

18 years 10 months

Indeedy Phil - even 3 times!! LOL

:) Sorry I must have been a little too keen to post :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

If it goes ahead, it would be a disgrace if it goes to Boeing... The government should support British workers by buying a European aeroplane, that is in this case an Airbus 319.

Andy

Thats being a tad xenophobic, don't you think?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supporting British, but the British workers you speak of will be in work regardless if one CJ is ordered or not. The A320 family has a healthy backlog and will not be loosing workers anytime soon. 1 single CJ or even 5 is not going to make that much of a difference.

I'd understand if Airbus were about to cut some dead weight.

Member for

24 years 3 months

In the short term it wont effect their jobs but in the long term it will keep them employed by the time it takes to produce the parts they are involved in as by no means is an order guarenteed to replace this order (allbeit potential). The media and opposition would have a field day if they didnt choose airbus also!

Member for

18 years 10 months

It's the same way that ministers drive (drove) Jags, to promote British industry. The Toyota Prius is another matter....

Like Andrew says they'd be slaughtered in the press if they go Boeing, now's not a good time for the UK to buy American.