Qantas PODs

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

I stumbled across a thread on another forum I post in over in Oz that had an interesting thread about a POD ferry flight that was flown by a chap i know...

Here is the text of his post with a few pics to demonstrate - quite interesting which is why I am posting this here. :)

Ferried VH-OJI SIN-SYD (QF6D, no pax) last night with a fifth pod. Certainly an interesting operation!

Only the RB211-524G powered 747-400s (ie, the -438s) are certified to carry a spare engine (or 'fifth pod'). The engine is fitted inboard of Eng 2.

The presence of a heavy additional load on one wing only entails several operational restrictions and considerations. Firstly, and most obviously, is the additional drag and weight (6524kg for a -524G-T engine) acting asymmetrically on the aeroplane. This requires considerable rudder and aileron trim to neutralise. We found that presetting one unit of right rudder trim (as required by the performance manual) gave the aeroplane an almost identical feel to a clean aeroplane during the departure and approach phases.

Secondly, the presence of such a sizeable object on the underside of the wing root (the most significant lift-generating section of the wing) imposed additional aerodynamic penalties - stall speeds, buffet boundaries and indeed the entire flight envelope are modified (in a restrictive sense), and (obviously) fuel flows were substantially greater. The aircraft's Flight Management Computer has a 'Spare Engine' mode, in which the relevant performance data and aerodynamic limitations appropriate to operations with a fifth pod are used in lieu of conventional 'clean' performance data. The activation of this function is annunciated both on the FMC CDU Ident page ('Spare Engine Active') and as an upper eicas memo ('VMO SPARE ENGINE').

Maximum airspeeds are reduced for fifth pod operations - the performance manual recommends a maximum 330/M0.78 (although the stated absolute MMO is 0.85). Speeds greater than M0.78 are likely to generate significant airframe buffet - indeed we felt moderate buffet throughout the cruise as the airstream broke down around the engine pod.

As you can see from the following pics, the front fan was removed (to reduce drag), and an 'ice deflector' fitted to avoid accumulation of ice inside the 'hot' area of the engine during flight through icing conditions.

Carried with the spare engine was a range of accompanying parts and engine change equipment in the hold.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/cwbalmer/Q744/th_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/cwbalmer/Q744/th_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/cwbalmer/Q744/th_1.jpg

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Always a fascinating sight! Great info too, thanks

Member for

20 years 10 months

I remember many years ago our friend Wys working on a normal scheduled service with pax onboard carrying an extra engine in this way.

1L.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Here is a shot of the aircraft in 2004 doing the same thing... CLICKY!