747 super freighter takes shape.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Following on our quest for more news, and less photos:

Full artical at: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002931297_boeing15.html

The first of the superfreighters that will ferry pieces of the 787 across the globe is now nearing completion in Taiwan.

These previously unpublished company photos convey the magnitude of the modification work involved in transforming the used 747s into oversized delivery vehicles.

Boeing has commissioned three of the superfreighters. [...] This used 747 first had its entire upper fuselage and tail removed.

In December, the cargo floor and new pressure bulkheads were built. Earlier this year, a bulbous new top was added to accommodate the huge pieces of the 787 that will have to fit inside. The tail will be reconnected on a hinge so that the entire rear fuselage swings open for loading.

This first airplane is due to make its first flight in June [...] aiming to certify the aircraft to enter service by year-end so it is ready to transport the first completed 787 sections early next year.

Two photos:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/zoom/html/2002931299.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/zoom/html/2002931298.html

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Boeing's answer to the Beluga. Nice! It should adorn the current house colours, no doubt.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Super Guppy

Don't forget that all the Guppies and Super Guppies were based on Boeing aircraft . . .

Member for

20 years 6 months

Finaly, progress :)

Been waiting to see what these monsters will look like for real when finished.

Member for

18 years 4 months

In Taiwan? Why Taiwan?

Nicely taking shape. Any orders or anything so far?

Member for

24 years 3 months

In Taiwan? Why Taiwan?

It is being converted by Evergreen Aviation Technologies.

Member for

20 years 6 months

In Taiwan? Why Taiwan?

Russian components, American components... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!

:D

Member for

20 years

Don't forget that all the Guppies and Super Guppies were based on Boeing aircraft . . .
Apart from the Conroy CL-44-0 that was based on the Canadair CL-44 which was, itself, based on the Bristol Britannia.

Member for

20 years 6 months

It's quite interesting to see the B7474 with the top removed...doesn't happen everyday! I wonder how many problems they have run into?

What's to say they have?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Nothing!

Yet, you want to tell me the whole job is going along smoothly? I bet Boeing Engineers have had headaches. Would love to see the SB for this B7474 :D

Oh I'm sure this project will have its fair share of headaches. I mean, you can't chop a plane half to bits and then put it back together with additional bits and expect it all to run smoothly.

Member for

20 years 6 months

And that was what I was getting at! :rolleyes:

Yes, I see that now... misread your post, reading it as if you were implying there have been issues as opposed to asking.

Member for

18 years 10 months

But weren't the "Guppies" based on the DC-7.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Russian components, American components... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!

:D

:mad: What film is that from !!?? :mad: lol

Gaz

Member for

20 years 6 months

But weren't the "Guppies" based on the DC-7.

IIRC, the guppy was based on the first pressurised commercial passenger aircraft, the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser

Member for

20 years 1 month

You can see from the photo I posted that the Guppy was a rebuilt Stratocruiser (although I suppose not everyone here is old enough to remember those majestic aircraft!)
Several of the rebuilds were made.

Member for

20 years

Indeed it was, Sandy. The official designation is the Boeing 377SG.

The B37 Stratocruiser was itself a development of the B-29 bomber, so the Boeing lineage of the Super Guppies can be traced even further back than Sandy realised! :)

Not all of the Guppies were based on the Stratocruiser, though. Don't forget the Conroy CL-44-0, as mentioned above. ;)

BTW - some sources quote the Lockheed L749 as being the world's first pressurised airliner. I suppose it's all down to precise semantics, as such thing usually are. :)

I remember seeing the tanker variant (KC-97J?) in service with the Israeli Air Force, Papa Lima. :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

IMHO, much much more elegant than Airbus' A300/310 mutant beluga or the new 747 box with wings super transporter.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Indeed it was, Sandy. The official designation is the Boeing 377SG.

The B37 Stratocruiser was itself a development of the B-29 bomber, so the Boeing lineage of the Super Guppies can be traced even further back than Sandy realised! :)

Oh I knew that. I just didn't think it was totaly relevant to the discussion.

Member for

20 years

Having watched the beasties operating in and out of MAN over a period of several years, while I can think of many fine adjectives to apply to the Super Guppy (majestic, impressive, imposing, etc... ) "elegant" would not appear among them. :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

Having watched the beasties operating in and out of MAN over a period of several years, while I can think of many fine adjectives to apply to the Super Guppy (majestic, impressive, imposing, etc... ) "elegant" would not appear among them. :D

Tastes differ I suppose.

Its the old style props and non raked wing with the multi faceted flightdeck windows that just give it an old style elegant look.

Member for

19 years 5 months

This is going to be some beast when it takes to the air I imagine...that upper section looks pretty bulky...