SLM to repair B743!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

The SLM (Surinam Airlines) 747 that was damaged at AMS will be repaired.

The plane had its tailwing damaged after it was towed into maintenance rig that had been left behind after the rig broke. The tug driver could not see the rig from his/her position and towed the plane's left tailwing in the rig.

It would have cost 3 million US$ to repair the tailwing. Instead, SLM decided to put in a "new" tailwing at a cost of 4 million US$. This will be paid by the insurance company of SLM, except for a 250.000 own risk fee. The tailwing that will be used will be the tailwing from N808MC, the Atlas Air Cargo that overran the runway at DUS. That plane has been written of.

Until the repairs have been made SLM will continue using a Iberworld A330.

Dutch only:
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?id=13358

Photo is mine, shot at quite a distance so quality is only marginal.

Original post

Member for

20 years 6 months

Great to hear she's getting repaired! I had my doubts about this one.

Member for

24 years 3 months

presumably Boeing would have wanted it sent back to them so they can repair it...
It is not possible to send the plane back to Boeing. Without the tailwing it will not fly safely. So Boeing will have to do the repairs at Schiphol.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I meant when they remove the whole tailplane assembly from the aircraft, Boeing will want it sent back for repair.

If it's anything like on a B737 removal is not a heavily complicated tasks.

You'd be surprised how often the vertical and horizontal stabs. are removed and put back on :)

Should be a fairly simple (in Aircraft mechanical terms) task of removing the Tail cone, APU ducting an the surrounding metal work from the tail and then easing it out once it has been mechanicaly seperated from all the workings inside. The horizontal stabs come off as one piece.

I think the process is identical for the 737 and most Boeings.