Another good reason why mobile phones aren't welcome on airliners!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

CLICKY

Original post

Member for

18 years 7 months

yer read about that in todays Sun newspaper, crazy story,

Jon

Member for

20 years 11 months

A very prudent move by the captain, it could have interfered with the planes navigational equipment

Member for

19 years 7 months

You'd figure with the technology available to engineers today, they would have been able to do something about this instrument interference thing. But the pilot did what he had to do! Good on him for making the right call!

Member for

18 years 7 months

I'm probably missing something here, but if the phone was switched on why didn't they get someone to call it, and locate it from the sound of it ringing? Worked for me the other day.

Member for

24 years 3 months

sounds very fishy to me!!!

I have lost count the amount of times myself and my co workers have left their phones on during the flight. It was funny the time we were cleared to line up and the FOs phone started ringing!!!!!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Mr Creosote - the article says it was switched to silent (presumably vibrator) mode.
A large risk, since it was dropped in the cockpit, would be jamming of flight controls - not a risk worth taking.
There is much more about this on PPrune.

Member for

18 years 7 months

Mr Creosote - the article says it was switched to silent (presumably vibrator) mode.

So it does. Saw this at work, and so only skimmed through the BBC article (and clearly not very well at that) Thanks. :o

Member for

18 years 7 months

Jamming flight controls is a real danger. Electromagnetic interference is NOT.