Summer Meet

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

Well, we were talking a little while ago about a European Summer meet. I was talking to Stuart (RIPConcorde) and we have finally booked ours!

We decided on Majorca! PMI is a very busy airport, packed full of charters.

LHR-BCN 1430 7th August BA A320
BCN-PMI 1920 7th August IB MD88

PMI-BCN 1125 9th August IB MD88
BCN-LHR 1325 9th August BA 757

Paid a total of £127 for the flights, which isn't bad at all. We've found a hotel for £14.50 each per night.

Arrive on the Monday at 2005, go to hotel, then straight out to town to get drunk. Spend the Tuesday hungover/spotting around the airport, then the Tuesday night getting wasted on the town. Fly home around lunchtime on the Wednesday.

And so we're now inviting anyone else that feels they might want to attend. However, to be invited, you must have to be able to say 'yes' to the following statements:

1) I would like a few days of flying/spotting
2) I would like to be somewhere warm for a bit of spotting and/or photography
and most importantly 3) I would like to enjoy myself and get completely p*ssed at every opportunity

If you can say yes to all of those, you're invited!

If you're looking for options, I recommend Easyhotels. And for the flights, full fare (ie. IB/BA) appears to be cheaper than most lo-co's at the moment.

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Sounds good! Looks like I'm free at the moment, so if things stay that way I should hopefully be there!

Paul

Member for

20 years 2 months

Really looking forward to this! My sig is busier than it's ever been! ;) Still put to shame by Dan's though!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Yep well I can't believe it's happening now :D, I'll be booking my BA/IB flights from BHX tommorow.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Any chance of a UK meet too Dan. Work commitments say Europe is out :(

Member for

19 years 5 months

Well I've been looking....

IB site: Utter crap as when you click the search button nothing happens.

BA site: BCN-PMI-BCN they want to route me via LHR and LGW.

Expedia: Crap flight times for the best prices.

Opodo and many others: Only allow 3 return flights to be booked at once...

Grrrr

Gaz

Member for

18 years 7 months

Damn. I am on the last leg of my holiday in Canada on those dates, if only I had not booked those 2 extra days in Seattle :( !

I am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities so maybe next time, hope you have a good time though... :D

Member for

19 years 5 months

After giving up on expedia etc...I tried some alternatives.

GLA-BCN = £65.79 (GSM 733)
BCN-PMI = £43.42 (IB MD88)
PMI-GLA = £99.70 (GSM 738)

Total = £208.91

But I can't book just yet. Few things to think about first :)

Gaz

Member for

20 years 2 months

Well Im out Ill be smashed as Ill be just back from Germany and holidays in August are out as itll be all hands on deck as the carnage oes on in Dublin airport.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Ok, so far:

Me : Booked
RIPConcorde : Booked
Future Pilot : Very Interested
GAZGLA : Interested - thinking
PMN : Interested

Member for

20 years 9 months

I'll be up for this, I'll have a look at prices then get back to you :)

I'll like the drinking terms, I trust you will be purchasing the first round? :D

And you the following 15 or so rounds?! :D

Member for

20 years 11 months

I'm also interested, though flights seem very expensive for some reason.

The only semi decent fare ive found is Thomsonfly from MAN for £106 which is a very good price.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Consider me booked and on the way :D.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Good to see us recruiting now with Tom booked!

I'm also interested, though flights seem very expensive for some reason.

The only semi decent fare ive found is Thomsonfly from MAN for £106 which is a very good price.

That's a bloody good fare Tom!

Member for

20 years 11 months

Has gone up slightly since I looked, now £119, still very good, and I am definitly considering!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Has gone up slightly since I looked, now £119, still very good, and I am definitly considering!

3 days of flying...spotting....photographing....and most importantly getting slaughtered in the night clubs of Majorca! Tempted yet? :p

Member for

20 years 2 months

That's great! To put it into perspective, Flyglobespan from EDI were more than £200, pushing £300 if I remember rightly! Just for a return flight to PMI, I've now got 6 flights for significantly less! :D

Member for

20 years 2 months

Good to see you're booked, Tom!

Hopefully you can make it too, Matt and Tom. :)

Member for

18 years 10 months

Hi Guys,

You will need to hire a car at PMI to get the other side of the active.

When leaving the airport follow the signs towards Palma town and take the first exit off the main road once passed the end of the runway. Take the first junction off the exit roundabout and then the first right after about 30 yards into what seems like an industrial area. You will immediately hit a mini roundabout; take the second to last exit and follow the road around to the right until you reach the runway.

This is the entrance into the military part of the airport, although the security are happy as long as you do not drive past the no entry signs. You can however walk past the signs and access the bank on the left which would elevate you high enough for photography.

WARNING. This area is used by many local drug adicts to get there shot and as such the floor is littered with used syringes. Some very bizzarre locals can patrol this area, thus i would recommend a car. I would not want to be trapped on foot by some of them.

It is a fantastic airport where you will make a third of the Air-Berlin fleet every day.

Enjoy.

Lee

Member for

20 years 9 months

Cheers gb. None of us are actually old enough to hire a car. Are there any nearby resorts where we could get a taxi, and then walk from? And is this the only spot you recommend? Looking on airliners.net it seems that there are quite a big selection of vantage points where people have got shots from.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I'm going to book-up with flyglobespan, more expensive but just one-flight to worry about :P

@Dan - I trust you will be keeping up for those 15 rounds then? :D

Keep us updated Matt!

Course I'll be keeping up...although I will probably be dancing like a prat by then :D