A380 whats next?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 3 months

Hi all i was just thinking about the future and what will happen, will somone in the next few decades think of somthing that out does every plane it could maybe next the A400 and be a triple decker, or is two floors enough and people will think of having showers and baths in the bathrooms of the A380?
Becasue we all no how technology has improve - fast and every year theres always somthing new?

I think in the future we won't have pilots becasue computers will be doing it all, or am just thinking totally out of this world??

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi all i was just thinking about the future and what will happen, will somone in the next few decades think of somthing that out does every plane it could maybe next the A400 and be a triple decker,

A400 is not a triple-decker, I kind of doubt it is big enough.
Instead, A400 is a big turboprop with 4 pairs of coaxial counterrotating propellers. Someone should tell how big it exactly is.

or is two floors enough and people will think of having showers and baths in the bathrooms of the A380?

You almost can have A380 as triple-decker. B747 already almost is a triple-decker.

Becasue we all no how technology has improve - fast and every year theres always somthing new?

I think in the future we won't have pilots becasue computers will be doing it all, or am just thinking totally out of this world??

Not quite. But it is difficult...

Military has unmanned spy planes for quite some time. But one problem is, they crash quite often. Another is, they do have pilots sitting back in a control room. Basically, they are remotely controlled - not flown by computer.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Showers and bathrooms????? they take up room......if the bean counters get their way they'll be crammed with as many seats as is humanly possible!!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Showers and bathrooms????? they take up room......if the bean counters get their way they'll be crammed with as many seats as is humanly possible!!

Which means 853. That is the number to be seated there on 26th instant. 538 on lower deck, 315 on upper deck.

I can see how Boeing 747 can seat 624 people. 539 on lower deck, 85 on upper deck. But no one has so many. Corsair has only 587. And most airliners have much fewer. SQ has 372 to 375. Somehow, the bean counters can justify that.

Member for

18 years 6 months

The A380 is the maximum you can get out of the present configuration. A simple increase in fuselage diameter or length won't do it, some kind of blended wing body is necessary, which means complete re-design of airports and big technology challenge.
A A380 sets another limit: It is the biggest aircraft airlines would like to operate. The risk combined with one single aircraft is so big, that a fleet of 15 A380 can easily fly an airline bankrupt within weeks or month. Smaller aircraft have the advantage of being more flexible. Some airlines just get dizzy when thinking of dimensions of the A380.

No-one needs anything bigger. If the industry really needs the A380 is still not sure, we will see in the upcoming decade if Airbus made the right choice (I think they did).

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think those 747 modifications are more pleasing to the eye than the A380 currently is.

Member for

18 years 11 months

The A380 is the maximum you can get out of the present configuration. A simple increase in fuselage diameter or length won't do it, some kind of blended wing body is necessary, which means complete re-design of airports and big technology challenge.
A A380 sets another limit: It is the biggest aircraft airlines would like to operate. The risk combined with one single aircraft is so big, that a fleet of 15 A380 can easily fly an airline bankrupt within weeks or month. Smaller aircraft have the advantage of being more flexible. Some airlines just get dizzy when thinking of dimensions of the A380.

No-one needs anything bigger. If the industry really needs the A380 is still not sure, we will see in the upcoming decade if Airbus made the right choice (I think they did).

How about the A380-900, a 6+m plug to give it the capability to take 1000 seats/pax.......and stay within the 80x80 m 'box' that is the current limit!

Member for

18 years 6 months

How about the A380-900, a 6+m plug to give it the capability to take 1000 seats/pax.......and stay within the 80x80 m 'box' that is the current limit!

I said "A380", which includes all possible modifications like -900, -900ER and -900F. I mean there is no aircraft bezond the A380 (whatever version) that looks feasible.