Concorde

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hi all,

Just thought I would post this. Does anyone think that Concorde will ever fly again? It would be great to see it fly once more in the future. Please post opinions.

AJ

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

no

Member for

19 years 9 months

NO
The COA has been removed and the engines have been decertified, no one has the money or the engineers to restore ,or maintain even one of them
All spare parts have been sold and Airbus no longer produce spares
When will people realise she will never fly again

Member for

19 years 10 months

No, she will never fly again!
Same dicussion at a.net.

Member for

18 years 7 months

No it wont.

1) both BA and AF lost money overall on the Concordes - they were kept active as loss-leaders to fly the flag and promote the fleet

2)Airbus have indicated, more than once, that they were unhappy at having to produce spare parts - at a loss - in order to keep BA and AF happy.

3) looming future noise regulations would have either killed off or castrated Concorde.

It wont ever, ever fly again - because the people who could make it fly again, dont want it to.

The future of aviation is bigger aircraft with cheaper seats - shaving time off flights has always been and will always be cripplingly expensive.

Member for

20 years 1 month

I think you have your answer......

Member for

18 years 6 months

There was talk of a revival though. I belive the Lib Dem MP Lembit Öpik was trying to drum up support to raise £14million to get at least one Concorde back in the air for its 40th anniversary, but it is my personal belief that there is no way that Concorde will fly again, although it would be a welcomed suprised if it did... :D

Here is an article from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4734799.stm

Member for

18 years 2 months

I hope the Save Concorde Group is succesfull. I would love to see the plane fly again. It went out in very tragic circumstances, what with the French crash and 9-11. We are here in the 21st Century and still are no closer to a replacement for Concorde. You have to admire the plane and hope that someone will want to fly it again.

I think the museums would be pretty upset at having their exhibits taken away from them!
I think she should be allowed to enjoy her retirement.

BTW - I just visited the Save Concorde website - what is that all about, and more to the point, their forum - all Private and no Announcements since last October? :confused:

Member for

18 years 2 months

NO
The COA has been removed and the engines have been decertified, no one has the money or the engineers to restore ,or maintain even one of them
All spare parts have been sold and Airbus no longer produce spares
When will people realise she will never fly again

So then the guys at Vulcan to the Sky are wasting their time. The Olympus will never fly!! My mate pointed this out. :p

AJ

Member for

24 years 2 months

No it will. Firstly it's a different Olympus in the Vulcan. The Olympus is still in fact supported by Rolls Royce as it is used in ships and power stations.

The Olympus 301's used by XH558 are all zero timed and will simply have to be retired when out of hours as Rollys Royce do not have the means to overhaul the Olympus for airworthy specifications. So yes, it will fly again but with a finite life dictated by the amount of servicable engines available which don't need overhauling by the manufacturer.

Paul

Member for

19 years 9 months

So then the guys at Vulcan to the Sky are wasting their time. The Olympus will never fly!! My mate pointed this out. :p

AJ

The engines used in Concorde were Decertified ,this means that they are no longer considered fit for Flying ,I know That East Fortune were considering Keeping the engines maintained so that she could do Taxi runs, but I would suspect that the cost and the lack of spares curtailed that idea

Member for

18 years 1 month

So how about recertifying them then if the money were to become available to return to flight!?

Member for

18 years 3 months

I bet nearly everone would like it too come back into service but BA and AF can't risk their whole company to just one plane if they did take the big chance they will probly of might have to cut flights and stuff like that if only they colud that wolud be a dream come true!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I still don't see why the powers that be could not have kept one machine air worthy for display purposes? At least until it's COA had naturally expired. Politics, politics politics.... :mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does anyone think that Concorde will ever fly again?

AJ

The answer to your question is 'Yes'

Moggy

But they are all living in cloud-cuckoo land :rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 5 months

Save the concorde or not, this aircraft will never fly again. Lets leave her to enjoy her retirement, she has had her time, turned many heads along the way, and she bowed out of service gracefully and with the respect she deserved. She will fly again only in our dreams. It would cost far too much to even attempt to prepare her for flight, then there is spares ( which we dont have any more as airbus has ceased to support it ) and the engines are decertified.
Why do we keep asking these questions about Concorde.
Lets leave her alone. we should instead have a moan about our lack of aircraft industry, yes, we make wings for Airbus, but why did we stop the RJX project and why does this country not build an airliner.