737 v A320

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Hi there,

Apologises if a thread already exists on this subject (please feel free to merge if so!), however, I am wondering what people's opinions are on the 737 and A320 series aircraft...which do you prefer to fly in and why?

The reason I ask is cos I am looking to set-up a low-cost airline, and was thinking about using a A320, with similar config to that of JetBlue Airways, but not sure what the competition from Boeing or other manufacturers was like, all I know is that the 737 NG aircraft are its nearest rival...

Anyway, if you have a comment/opinion, please feel free to add it here...

Regards,

Cloud_9

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The reason I ask is cos I am looking to set-up a low-cost airline, and was thinking about using a A320, with similar config to that of JetBlue Airways, but not sure what the competition from Boeing or other manufacturers was like, all I know is that the 737 NG aircraft are its nearest rival...
If you do intend to set up an airline, than asking for our preferred aircraft would be useless. You are not going to attract passengers just because you fly a certain plane type. Only the concorde had such appeal to the masses.

What you want to know is lease rates, fuel consumption, maintenance cost, crew cost. You will not find this information on any webforum, at best a rough indication of lease rates. Most of this information is considered to be confidential by the airlines. They do not want other airlines to know how much their bottom line is.

Member for

18 years 6 months

If you do intend to set up an airline, than asking for our preferred aircraft would be useless. You are not going to attract passengers just because you fly a certain plane type. Only the concorde had such appeal to the masses.

What you want to know is lease rates, fuel consumption, maintenance cost, crew cost. You will not find this information on any webforum, at best a rough indication of lease rates. Most of this information is considered to be confidential by the airlines. They do not want other airlines to know how much their bottom line is.

Thanks for the advice, any ideas/suggestions of how I can find out the information you suggest?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Most of this information is considered to be confidential by the airlines
Thanks for the advice, any ideas/suggestions of how I can find out the information you suggest?

Anyway, get in contact with a few leasing companies first.

Member for

20 years 10 months

The reason I ask is cos I am looking to set-up a low-cost airline, ...

I could use a no-interest loan to start-up my new aircraft engine manufacturing company. :D

Member for

18 years 8 months

I have noticed that many of the start up low-cost airlines prefer A320s, maybe its down to 3 reasons i can see

1. Economics involved, maintenace costs may be lower!!
2. The issue commanality, the same pilots, crew and maintinece guys will be familier with the A318, A319, A320 and A321 series of aircraft
3. Safty records, whats the safty record of A320s compared to 737s without fly-by-wire systems?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Cloud 9 you may want to identify your market first and then see what loads you could expect (using market research) and then work out what size fits ;)

Also I would recomend speaking to a Business Expert in Aviation field or failing that a shrink. You could always speak to Airbus and Boeing at Farnborough Airshow and ask what kind of a deal they will offer you...

Member for

20 years 5 months

I got a person who'd be perfect for you to get in contact with.

I refer to him here as "bob". Generaly he can help you out from finance to aircraft selection to maintenance to even getting your crew's sourced.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Anyway, get in contact with a few leasing companies first.

Any suggestions, possible links to websites?

Does anyone know how much would it cost to lease an A320 (approx)?

Member for

24 years 2 months

It depends on how long how many and also is it wet or dry or the one in the middle type of lease.

Member for

18 years 2 months

I have always preferred the A320 over the 737 but if you are setting up your own airline then you have to think about initial cost, fuel efficiency and various other factors. It may be that the 737 is the better choice, but from an enthusiast's point of view I like the A320.

Member for

18 years 6 months

It depends on how long how many and also is it wet or dry or the one in the middle type of lease.

Well, I don't really want to have to reveal many details, especially not my proposed base or routes, as I don't want to be become the next victim of the type of 'forum bullying' that Alpha One and Martin Halsted have been subjected too, but I was proposing of having six aircraft by the end of the first year of operations, and then add another aircraft every month to have a total of 18 by end of year two...?

I know that on principle the A320 would be the better choice, cos its is wider and can fit more passengers, and over time has a better economic situation compared to the 737, but it is so hard trying to work it all out as I am currently doing all the work myself, and have got to juggle it all around my uni work as well... :o

Member for

24 years 2 months

if you dont want to be come a victim of alleged bullying then stop posting with topics such as this one. This surely should be moved into a hobby type forum as I'm sure all of the topics mentioned have been discussed, in depth, several times before.

LGKR

Member for

18 years 2 months

I think that the 737NG and the A320 are basically the same. Both airplanes have there pros and cons. A decision about which one your airline will fly should be based on the cost.

I have noticed that many of the start up low-cost airlines prefer A320s, maybe its down to 3 reasons i can see

2. The issue commanality, the same pilots, crew and maintinece guys will be familier with the A318, A319, A320 and A321 series of aircraft
3. Safty records, whats the safty record of A320s compared to 737s without fly-by-wire systems?

1. The cost can vary depending on the airline. Why would Ryanair operate the 737 if the 320 was cheaper.
2. the 737-600, 737-700, 737-800, and the 737,900 all have the same commonality as the 320 series.
3. The 737NG has a great safty record other wise why is it still flying with over 60 carriers.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Cloud 9, people will not take you seriously if you are gathering information from a Forum! You need to be speaking to someone who knows the airline world! I know you probably dont know anyone but neither did Martin Halstead and he still got somewhere otherwise we wouldnt know about Alpha One. You need to research contacts on the internet IMO.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Remember the old saw:

Q. How do you make a small fortune in the airline business?"

A. "start with a large one!"

Still true - not all LCCs survive and thrive like Ryanair, Easyjet and its going to get harder as the market moves towards saturation point. Be the first to do what Ryanair would like to do - fly for free and make your money on the add-ons like gambling etc.

Doesn't sound like your in the av business at all and if you're posting on this here doesn't sound like you've got the deep pockets personally or the backing of deep pockets. If you have, that's a start but then you need management expertise.

Lastly, and to answer your original question. IMHO, passengers generally don't care what they fly on as long as it is cheap (LCC passengers especially) or meets their needs for convenience and value. There was an article in the Globe and Mail (arguably Canada's national newspaper) written by a journalist about the socio-economic impact on Europe of the LCCs and how they're changing the face of the world. Actually a good article, but even this guy thought he was flying on a Ryanair Airbus! and he has fact checkers to research his story.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Hi there,

Apologises if a thread already exists on this subject (please feel free to merge if so!), however, I am wondering what people's opinions are on the 737 and A320 series aircraft...which do you prefer to fly in and why?

I would take the aircraft you can get. Don't think about about the size of the fuselage. You will have to buy aircrafts second-hand or lease them under ridicoulus terms.
My personal advice: Better skip the idea of an airline. You don't seem to have any knowledge of the issue.

Member for

24 years 2 months

If you are a start-up on a small scale, be it the 320 or 737 you willhave to do a 100% investment into the maintanence programme so it wont matter that much. Just depends on the fuel economics and who offers a better price.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Blimey...a bit different from opening a sandwich shop, do you have a business background or one in aviation?

Member for

18 years 6 months

1: Depends on the contract. You don't build up your own maintenance, you sub-contract it. If you have a good repair shop at your homebase that might influence your decision.

2: I don't know any low-cost carrier whoe operates several A320-families. Commanality is an issue for big mainline carriers.

3: No, safety records are equal and crash statistics show nearly no significance of the aircraft type.

Member for

18 years 8 months

1: Depends on the contract. You don't build up your own maintenance, you sub-contract it. If you have a good repair shop at your homebase that might influence your decision.

I think your right, i noticed that Air Berlin has Lufthansa to carry out maintenance work :), i dont know if other low cost carriers do this