Possible takeover of Easyjet

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 8 months

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4594796.stm

I assume no re-branding would take place IF it did happen, just a change in who actually creams the profits off :D

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

A full take over bid will require the majority share holder to agree to it. Stelios is the Majority Share Holder and is unlikely to sell easyJet to another firm as it wold effect his other easyXxx businesses!

Member for

20 years 1 month

i cant see him selling either! But on the other hand i suppose he has made his money to!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Its fair to say he has made alot of money robert but if he sells he looses some element of control over the easyJet name. With Ray Webster away, Stelios wouldnt have many very very very close allies left in easyJet at the moment!

Member for

20 years 1 month

well that is true! maby in the contract that he would keep his job and alot of oter things!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Read this article below, or have a look at the following link when you get a chance:

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/article_1075722.php/Stelios_I_wont_sell_easyJet

Stelios: I won't sell easyJet

Stelios Haji-Ioannou, the outspoken founder of easyJet, has denied rumours that he is ready to sell the low-cost airline as speculation mounts about an imminent takeover by an Icelandic group.

Shares in the Luton-based airline have soared in recent days on the back of reports suggesting that the Icelandic FL group, which currently owns 16.2 per cent of the airline, is poised to launch a bid for overall control.

On Monday, the airline confirmed that it had appointed Goldman Sachs as its chief financial adviser, in a move widely interpreted as suggesting expectation of an imminent bid, given the banking group's reputation for tough defence against hostile bids.

And news that FL group had recently raised £728 million by issuing new shares on the Icelandic stock exchange, without declaring its intended use for the revenues raised by the share sale, served to heighten speculation.

However, the ebullient Greek tycoon has today spoken out publicly to deny the takeover rumours, stressing that he has no intention of selling his stake in the airline.

'This is a multi-shareholder company. Forty per cent belongs to my family, but 60 per cent belongs to other people,' he told BBC Radio Five Live.

'Therefore you have to take the view that if someone makes an offer for the company, you consider it seriously and see whether it values the company fairly, or it undervalues the company.

'Personally at the moment, I think the levels at which the shares have been trading, in the past that would seriously undervalue the company, and probably still undervalue the company significantly. So I am not a seller.'

Despite reports suggesting that he values the airline at 500p per share, Mr Haji-Ioannou declined to disclose how much he would be willing to accept for the airline.

''I have been saying for a while [that I am not a seller], and people just don't believe it. So it would be foolish of me to give a level at which I would sell at,' he added.

Although easyJet is still lagging behind market leader and main rival Ryanair, the no-frills airline nevertheless enjoyed an extremely successful 2005.

The low-cost airline saw passenger numbers break the 30 million barrier for the first time last year, carrying 30.3 million passengers, a year-on-year increase of 17.8 per cent.

Rising passenger numbers helped to drive unaudited revenues up by 20.5 per cent to £1.38 billion, with load factor - the proportion of seats sold - also rising marginally to 84.9 per cent over the year.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Looks like i hit the nail on the head :p. easyJet is really Stelios's reputation (in the public eye) no matter what he does he will be judged by the public by what easyJet is like to a large extent. Therefore he needs to exert control one easyJet and unfortunetly for him that is probably something which will stop him selling for a long time. He wants out as he has no interest in running an airline, his only interest is in opening new companies but leaving easyJet would jepordise ALL his wealth!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Looks like i hit the nail on the head :p. easyJet is really Stelios's reputation (in the public eye) no matter what he does he will be judged by the public by what easyJet is like to a large extent. Therefore he needs to exert control one easyJet and unfortunetly for him that is probably something which will stop him selling for a long time. He wants out as he has no interest in running an airline, his only interest is in opening new companies but leaving easyJet would jepordise ALL his wealth!

Well I have just had a discussion with one of my uni lecturers about this, and he said to me that Stelios may just be trying to raise the share price, so that when he does decide to accept a takeover bid, he will make more money... :D.