Shannons Iraq windfall

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4577906.stm

Wow! Thats alot of GIs. Maybe a direct scheduled link from Shannon to America?

Original post

Member for

20 years 9 months

Don't Continental already provide one to EWR with a 757?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I thought Shannon already had plenty of direct US flights or do they all stop at DUB ???

Last time I was there I saw US Airways, ATA, North American and other carriers on the ramp. Are these GI's flying USAF or commercial ?

I think North American are regularly contracted by the armed forces as troop carriers ?

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32283&highlight=Shannon

Member for

19 years 1 month

There are 3 or 4 flights a day with Aer Lingus I think that go from there direct to America. They all originate from Dublin I believe also. Not sure on other carriers.

Member for

19 years 8 months

AA and CO both have direct flights to BOS and EWR. North American, ATA and World are usual GI jobbies.

Member for

24 years 3 months

their plane refuelled on the runway

Could it not have found a suitable parking space to do that? :D

Member for

19 years 8 months

AA and CO both have direct flights to BOS and EWR. North American, ATA and World are usual GI jobbies.

:o oops, maybe I should have done a bit more resaearch lol.

Member for

18 years 10 months

There are 3 or 4 flights a day with Aer Lingus I think that go from there direct to America. They all originate from Dublin I believe also. Not sure on other carriers.

Is this due to the Irish government which is trying to increase tourism in Shannon by forcing trans-continental flights to go via Shannon or is there some other reason?

Member for

19 years 8 months

I know that several inbound TravelCity 747-200s had to go via Shannon over the summer to re-fuel, but not sure about scheduled

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is this due to the Irish government which is trying to increase tourism in Shannon by forcing trans-continental flights to go via Shannon or is there some other reason?

It's an agreement that's been in place long before DUB had direct unilateral links to the USA if I'm not mistaken? I must finish reading my recently purchased book about the subject. A political/business agreement designed to protect jobs and services at Shannon ???

The agreement in Ireland was similar to that, that was in place at Prestwick, pre-early 90's, when all transatlantic business out of Scotland had to use PIK as it's point of departure.

That particular regime was made a mockery of (and subsequently abandoned) when Air 2000 famously offered flights from GLA to the USA complete with a brief touchdown at PIK, before heading out over the Atlantic to Florida.