Ryanair Question

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hello everyone,

I am flying with Ryanair to Girona in a couple of days and I have just noticed I have spelt my girlfriends name wrong on the booking, i.e. her surname is Williams and it is spelt Willaims on the confirmation. Do you t hink I should call up and pay the £45 name change fee?

Mark

Original post

Member for

21 years

No, I'd risk it at the airport, its a small enough mistake so as not to be noticed by the ground staff. If they say on the day to pay the £45, then so be it, but I can't see any consequence in leaving it to the day and hoping noone realises.

Member for

18 years 4 months

i think u'll be fine mate im sure they'll just put it down to an error

Member for

18 years 8 months

Hi Mark,

I would imagine it would be OK. I did two flights with SAS a few months ago and the guy who booked them entered my first name as 'Poul', so that's the name that came out on the boarding cards but it wasn't a problem. FR being FR may I guess insist on a name change, but according to their website this can only be done by phone and no later than 3 hours before departure, and their reservations lines are only open 09:00-18:00 Monday to Friday, which is pretty useless for those travelling at weekends!

Again, as Mark L says it's a very small mistake that's unlikely to be a problem, but just to save messing your day up it may be a good idea to give them a bell and see what they say. No doubt then of course they'll insist you pay 45 quid, but at least you'll know!

Paul

Member for

18 years 4 months

Hi Mark,

I would imagine it would be OK. I did two flights with SAS a few months ago and the guy who booked them entered my first name as 'Poul', so that's the name that came out on the boarding cards but it wasn't a problem.

Do they write the names in capitals? If not, I'd imagine that "Poul" would be very easy to edit anyway.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ta guys. My worry is that they will say the person on the ticket is not the same as the name on the passport and make my buy a new ticket - although I have flown with my mate Ben - his name Ben on the ticket but Benjamin on the passport.

Mark

Member for

18 years 8 months

Do they write the names in capitals? If not, I'd imagine that "Poul" would be very easy to edit anyway.

It is in capitals on the boarding pass but like I say, it wasn't a problem so all was OK.

Mark, I'm not having a go at Ryanair here, but I have to admit I wouldn't have the same worry if I were flying BA or LH. Ryanair working the way they do that is the kind of thing I can imagine them doing in certain circumstances, but in this particular case I'm sure it's a small enough mistake for them not to bother, or even notice. Hopefully the check in agent would have enough sense and logic even if they did notice it to see it's an obvious minor mistake and let it go.

Paul

Member for

20 years 8 months

I wouldnt care if it was was EZY or BA, you'e right I wouldn't worry. Just got nightmare visions. Still, two days before the flights are £49.99, I may take my chances,

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would worry about Girona staff TBH as if your refused at STN then at least you can go home but in Girona its going to be slightly more expensive...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hello everyone,

I am flying with Ryanair to Girona in a couple of days and I have just noticed I have spelt my girlfriends name wrong on the booking, i.e. her surname is Williams and it is spelt Willaims on the confirmation. Do you t hink I should call up and pay the £45 name change fee?

Mark

Is the £45 just the name change fee, because if so then normally you'd also have to pay the difference in the ticket price between the time it was booked and the time of the name change.

Why don't you just ring Ryanair anon and describe your problem without giving your booking reference etc. Just explain that you appear to have inputted two letters the wrong way round in a surname, if they kick up a fuss then hang up ;)

Member for

18 years 8 months

I would worry about Girona staff TBH as if your refused at STN then at least you can go home but in Girona its going to be slightly more expensive...

Surely they can't refuse to carry you back after they've taken you out there on the same booking? How can that possibly work?

Member for

19 years 1 month

Surely they can't refuse to carry you back after they've taken you out there on the same booking? How can that possibly work?

We are talking about a low-cost airline here - they'll use any trick for getting more money :rolleyes:

Member for

21 years

If you ring Ryanair they will tell you to change the name. But if you turn up on the day they will either ignore/not notice it, or make you pay the £45 then and there to change the name. I really cant see them making you buy a new ticket, and I've never heard of that happening except where the name was totally changed (ie not a spelling error but a totally different person.

Either way, this is why you need to be ultra careful when booking flights these days, I always triple check every detail, particularly when flying with my full family of 6! One error there and the correction costs can be almost as much as the inital ticket cost!

Member for

18 years 4 months

It all depends on the check-in staff. Most will overlook it, or not notice it at all.
However we all know how ryanair are with charges and targets, so it does depend on the day.
I dont think with such a small mistake it will really matter.
Just be really nice to the check-in staff ! It always works on me! :dev2: :p

Member for

24 years 3 months

It all depends on the check-in staff. Most will overlook it, or not notice it at all.
However we all know how ryanair are with charges and targets, so it does depend on the day.
I dont think with such a small mistake it will really matter.
Just be really nice to the check-in staff ! It always works on me! :dev2: :p

That's what I'd do too.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It does seem that Ryanair are a funny old company to deal with and whilst most people say you should turn up and risk it, I'd advise otherwise. You will no doubt get to the airport, they will tell you the name is wrong and then won't let you change it because changes are only permitted 3 hours before departure.

I think £45 is a small enough price to pay to ensure that your trip goes smoothly.

Member for

18 years 6 months

i.e. her surname is Williams and it is spelt Willaims on the confirmation. Do you t hink I should call up and pay the £45 name change fee?

Mark

Mark,

I worked as a check-in agent for 6 months last year at LGW, and we were always told that as long as the name is within 1 letter then it should be ok. In your case you have simply got your 'a' and 'i' mixed-up so I honestly think you should be ok. However, being Ryanair, they may well make you change it just so that they can get the money out of you... so like most of the others have also said, take a chance and if they say you need to change it on the day, then you will have to change it! :D

Regards,

Cloud_9.

Member for

20 years 8 months

As a follow up on this - I called FRs internet support line -£1 a minute- and they fixed the name on the booking and sent me a new confirmation email, no charge. All was sorted in about 20 seconds, no holding, polite person on the phone no questions asked when they could have been difficult. Fantastic customer service and goes to show that there are some good Ryanair customer experiences out there!