'Watchdog slams BA's safety'

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 11 months

'Watchdog slams BA's air safety'

This story reached the front page of today's Sunday Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1965953,00.html

Joe

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

On the face of it, pretty damning

Member for

24 years 3 months

Maybe they should have a look at Ryanairs safety, will make BA's safety look impeccable.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Can you remember the last story about a case of Ryanair being unsafe? I can't.

Member for

19 years

AN engine fire on landing a few years ago at Stansted, but that's it. But I suppose every carrier has incidents like that once in their life, so that's hardly unsafe. I think we have to remember as well that BA have a large fleet, so the probability of things going wrong is likely to be higher than that of an airline with a smaller fleet.

Coming back to Ryanair, just because they used 737-200s, it didn't mean that they were unsafe. In fact, they were probably better maintained than the -800s, because they were older and needed more work done to them perhaps.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Maybe they should have a look at Ryanairs safety, will make BA's safety look impeccable.

I hold no brief whatsoever for Mr O'Leary or the airline he runs, but if you make statements such as the one above you must be prepared to back them up with evidence.

exmpa

Member for

21 years

Every airline has its fair share of incidents, most are rarely worth commenting on, they just happen. What the AAIB seem to have identified here is a systemic problem within the BA engineering department which means things are not being done that should be done.

There is always a chance a component will fail within an engine during flight for example, there is nothing anyone can do to prevent that component from failing, and any incident that ocurrs is just down to probability. However when it comes to parts being missed off, insufficient oil quantities etc, then there is clearly a problem which can be adressed within the engineering department.

The AAIB has identified this within BA due to the high number of preventable incidents due to mechanical failure. Recent Ryanair incidents eg, high bank angles, unstable approaches, incorrect flap settings, fast taxi speeds etc etc (just have a brief look on pprune and you will see what I mean) may well see an investigation by the Irish Aviation authorities into them, but I cant recall hearing about preventable technica failures in the same way as is being talked about here with BA.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Ryanair operate the youngest fleet in Europe (if not the world).

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ryanair operate the youngest fleet in Europe (if not the world).

...flown by anyone mad enough to work for them!

Member for

18 years 10 months

...flown by anyone mad enough to work for them!
:D

Member for

18 years 4 months

MINIDOH,
I have to laugh. As someone who knows a thing or two about Ryanair, I can assure you that that there are no short cuts being taken on maintenance! If Ryanair had the same sort of issues as BA, there would be a never ending backlash and usual tabloid headlines. For whatever reason, BA has been having a lot of technical problems at he moment (running at about 1 emergency per week lately) and some people are in denial.

However, BA has a large and varied fleet which is ageing fast except for the Airbuses, this means incidents are more likely anyway but is still not excusable. Scary recent examples including the 3 engine 747 trans-atlantic flight and subsequent fuel emergency and the similar A319 flight where the instruments failed and then the crew continuing the flight is ridiculous. The maintence problems are shocking but they get away with it because of their perceived reputation.

One of the few similar Ryanair cases is the engine fire and evacuation in STN which was caused by a faulty batch of engine bearings from CFM which also led to a very similar problem with an Air France A320 shortly afterwords. Ryanair are now pioneers in Boeing's new Maintenance Performance Toolbox which means even greater improvements to procedures. SeeBoeing Press Release for more. Daily maintenance is carried out at night at every base meaning all aircraft are checked by engineers and any recorded problems are rectifyied and are not left 'deferred' like certain other airlines. Heavy hangar maintenance is carried out in-house at Prestwick, Dublin and Stansted including Winglet Mods.

If you're going to make slanderous statements about Ryanair MINIDOH, then at least have SOME evidence. Maintenance is taken extremely seriously in Ryanair as it is the only way Ryanair can be defeated as the competition is largely inept. (kidding!)

Goodbye. :)

Member for

19 years 9 months

to be fair...MOL has quoted that 2 things could ruin Ryanair...1. is an accident caused by poor standards safety or 2. World War3.

If you read the book about Ryanair..you will discover that MOL has a mean cost cutting streak to improve profits etc etc...but when it comes down to airplane maitenence then no expense is spared.

Member for

18 years 8 months

One word: Aeroflot.

Paul

Member for

19 years 9 months

One word: Aeroflot.

Paul

oh come on now....be fair....Aeroflot seems to have got a helluva lot better...New Airbus/Boeing planes coming on tap, western style management which includes safety being a high priority. Gone are the days when an Aeroflot captains pre-flight walk-round consisted of nothing more than kicking the tyres....Also im lead to believe the Flight attendants dont come from tractor factories anymore! :D

there are airlines out there with far worse maintenence records than BA. And probably some of them are alot closer to home than you could imagine.

Member for

18 years 8 months

oh come on now....be fair....Aeroflot seems to have got a helluva lot better...New Airbus/Boeing planes coming on tap, western style management which includes safety being a high priority. Gone are the days when an Aeroflot captains pre-flight walk-round consisted of nothing more than kicking the tyres....Also im lead to believe the Flight attendants dont come from tractor factories anymore! :D

there are airlines out there with far worse maintenence records than BA. And probably some of them are alot closer to home than you could imagine.

I was actually joking, but looking back at my post I missed the smiley. Sorry for the confusion!

I know they're much better these days, and their captain's don't let their children play with the controls anymore :rolleyes:

Paul

Member for

19 years

maybe ill drive to london from ncl lol

Member for

18 years 6 months

Well is there actually any maintenance issues. I do not see there to be 'Poor Safety' if aircraft keeping breaking due to old age

Member for

18 years 10 months

One of the few similar Ryanair cases is the engine fire and evacuation in STN which was caused by a faulty batch of engine bearings from CFM which also led to a very similar problem with an Air France A320 shortly afterwords. Ryanair are now pioneers in Boeing's new Maintenance Performance Toolbox which means even greater improvements to procedures. SeeBoeing Press Release for more. Daily maintenance is carried out at night at every base meaning all aircraft are checked by engineers and any recorded problems are rectifyied and are not left 'deferred' like certain other airlines. Heavy hangar maintenance is carried out in-house at Prestwick, Dublin and Stansted including Winglet Mods.

Thanks for this - a well presented and coherent article backed up by facts. Are Ryanair retrofitting winglets to the existing 737-800 fleet?

Member for

18 years 4 months

Are Ryanair retrofitting winglets to the existing 737-800 fleet?

Yep, only 2 so far (EI-DCK) with the winglets being fitted at approx 1 aircraft per week during their maintenance C-Checks at Prestwick. This rate could change depending on fleet schedules i.e. if time permits. All new aircraft deliveries will be fitted in Seattle from later this month meaning there are 90 conversions to be done. :eek:

Member for

21 years 1 month

There is a saying that goes "if you think safety is expensive then try having an accident" and it is very true. Any accident will have a negative effect on an airlines business but most accidents are a series of small events which in isolation would not be a problem but taken together can lead to an accident. The AA DC10 at ORD in 1979 is a classic case - the loss of an engine on take off should not have been a problem but the fact that when then engine fell off it took hydraulic lines with it which caused the slats to retract and stall warning systen to fail, was a problem.

Member for

19 years 7 months

A statement from the article;

As the captain prepared to land and the autopilot was disconnected, the plane started drifting to the right, forcing him to take corrective action.

What is up with that?

dme