Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eleven years ago, I was somewhere else for Christmas!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greekdude1
    replied
    Originally posted by paulc
    Greekdude1,

the KLM 743's were infact 747-206 SUD (stretched upper deck) rather than new built 743's so that could answer your question.
    Not all were. They did take delivery of newbuilt -300's and liked them so much that they retrofitted their -200's. Nonetheless, they all had the same engines, which do not look like the RG -300's.

Leave a comment:

• paulc
    replied
    Greekdude1,

the KLM 743's were infact 747-206 SUD (stretched upper deck) rather than new built 743's so that could answer your question.

Andy, great pics as usual - the Korean Md11 was the one that crashed in Tripoli (i think) Only 1 of those liverlies is still the 'current' one - all the rest have been altered somehow.

Leave a comment:

• greekdude1
    replied
    Originally posted by LBARULES
    Great to see you back GD1! Just looking, your last post was June! How you doing?
    Thank you sir, I've been good. Just got back from Sydney on January 1st where I got to experience scorching heat with a record high of 44 C for that day in Sydney. Thank God I came home to rain. June, eh? I guess it has been a while. I go through my hibernations from time to time.

Thanks for the info Skymonster. No-one can shed some light on the 743 info?

Leave a comment:

• Skymonster
    replied
    Originally posted by greekdude1
    Oh, these are great memories for me, as I frequent LAX. Just a couple of questions for anyone that can shed some light:

2) Is that the Ill-fated Egypt Air 763?
    Greekdude1,

That second question I can answer easily - yes, SU-GAP was the 763 that was lost out of JFK a few years later.

It also occurred to me that the China Airlines 744 could have been the one that went for a swim in Hong Kong harbour too (I know for sure I have a picture of that somewhere), but in this case it isn't.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• LBARULES
    replied
    Great to see you back GD1! Just looking, your last post was June! How you doing?

Leave a comment:

• greekdude1
    replied
    Oh, these are great memories for me, as I frequent LAX. Just a couple of questions for anyone that can shed some light:

1) The Varig 743's had these newer GE engines, which resemble the 744 engines. Compare those to KLM's 743's, which had the older ones that look considerably different, non unlike all 742's that have GE's. Why is that?

2) Is that the Ill-fated Egypt Air 763?

Leave a comment:

• G-CDFF
    replied
    Brilliant pics! Smomething a bit different for a change!

Leave a comment:

• Whiskey Delta
    replied
    Wow, these pictures have brought back a lot of memories. Thanks for taking the time Skymonster to scan and post your pictures.

Leave a comment:

• LBARULES
    replied
    Absolutely brilliant Andy, I have to disagree with a previous comment someone made about the United livery shown in the shots above, I absolutely love it, each to their own!

Leave a comment:

• Skymonster
    replied
    Just thought I'd add one more from LAS:

Why the addition...? Well, this one's been on a.net for a while, and the original slide was bought by a company in Texas last week for $750 - yup, getting on for 400!!! The sale (and the need to find the original slide again) was what inspired me to scan a few others.

Thanks again for the comments.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• DME
    replied
    Good pics. It's funny how liveries don't look dated until they get updated - I mean the Korean still looks good but the ANZ looks rubbish now

Leave a comment:

• Pembo330
    replied
    Excellent Pics Andy!

Thanks for sharing them.

Leave a comment:

• KabirT
    replied
    hmmm Christmas 1994 i was eight years old,probably playing with my great collection of G.I.Joe's!

Fantastic shots though Andy, the Varig one stands out!
    Last edited by KabirT; 30th December 2005, 08:32.

Leave a comment:

• symon
    replied
    that's quite an uneven tan in the last one would never get tired of those pics, nice selection.

Leave a comment:

• barrythemod
    replied
    Originally posted by aj_march
    You go on holiday and spend the time watching airliners???

Honestly, you spotters confuse me
    AJ,take off your anorak,put on your shorts,sunglasses and factor 20 and lay on my favorite holiday beach......Philipsburg/St.Marten-Princess Juliana (SXM/TNCM)........How close do you wanna get airside/seaside
    Attached Files
    Last edited by barrythemod; 29th December 2005, 00:46.

Leave a comment:

• Ren Frew
    replied
    Originally posted by Skymonster
    Thanks for the comments...

744s were flying from 1988, first delivery in 1989 - N401PW was the first, I think, which is now N661US with Northwest. Interesting to realise that it won't be too long before the first 744 is 20 years old!

Andy
    That's another of those landmark events that happened in my aviation hobby gap year, a gap year that lasted from around 1986 til 2001 !!!!

Ta for the info Andy and it would be nice to see some more of your archive.

Leave a comment:

• Skymonster
    replied
    Thanks for the comments...

Originally posted by Ren Frew
    How long had 744's been around in 1994 ??
    744s were flying from 1988, first delivery in 1989 - N401PW was the first, I think, which is now N661US with Northwest. Interesting to realise that it won't be too long before the first 744 is 20 years old!

Andy
    Last edited by Skymonster; 28th December 2005, 23:27.

Leave a comment:

• barrythemod
    replied
    Nice shots.Looks like you got a NASA Northrop T-38A Talon "underneath" the AWA 757

Leave a comment:

• Spence_CWL
    replied
    Originally posted by Ren Frew
    Interesting angle on the China 744, almost looks too short like an SP. How long had 744's been around in 1994 ??

Incidentally Christmas '94 for me was spent living in a high rise council flat, shared with a mate overlooking Glasgow Airport. No that's not why I moved there stoopid....

see what you mean, the tail looks strangely large. I think the SP was around in 94, but only about 150 were made?

Leave a comment:

• Spence_CWL
    replied
    God that United livery looks really dated now! great shots

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
X