Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eleven years ago, I was somewhere else for Christmas!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G-CDFF
    • Sep 2005

Brilliant pics! Smomething a bit different for a change!

Comment

• greekdude1
      • Jan 2000

Oh, these are great memories for me, as I frequent LAX. Just a couple of questions for anyone that can shed some light:

1) The Varig 743's had these newer GE engines, which resemble the 744 engines. Compare those to KLM's 743's, which had the older ones that look considerably different, non unlike all 742's that have GE's. Why is that?

2) Is that the Ill-fated Egypt Air 763?

Comment

• LBARULES
        Pointless flightaholic!
        • May 2003

Great to see you back GD1! Just looking, your last post was June! How you doing?

Comment

• Skymonster
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by greekdude1
          Oh, these are great memories for me, as I frequent LAX. Just a couple of questions for anyone that can shed some light:

2) Is that the Ill-fated Egypt Air 763?
          Greekdude1,

That second question I can answer easily - yes, SU-GAP was the 763 that was lost out of JFK a few years later.

It also occurred to me that the China Airlines 744 could have been the one that went for a swim in Hong Kong harbour too (I know for sure I have a picture of that somewhere), but in this case it isn't.

Andy
          "Light travels faster than sound-that's why some people seem bright until they speak"
          AirTeamImages
          - the best aviation photography

Comment

• greekdude1
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by LBARULES
            Great to see you back GD1! Just looking, your last post was June! How you doing?
            Thank you sir, I've been good. Just got back from Sydney on January 1st where I got to experience scorching heat with a record high of 44 C for that day in Sydney. Thank God I came home to rain. June, eh? I guess it has been a while. I go through my hibernations from time to time.

Thanks for the info Skymonster. No-one can shed some light on the 743 info?

Comment

• paulc
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Feb 2003

Greekdude1,

the KLM 743's were infact 747-206 SUD (stretched upper deck) rather than new built 743's so that could answer your question.

Andy, great pics as usual - the Korean Md11 was the one that crashed in Tripoli (i think) Only 1 of those liverlies is still the 'current' one - all the rest have been altered somehow.
              http:www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=481

Comment

• greekdude1
                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by paulc
                Greekdude1,

the KLM 743's were infact 747-206 SUD (stretched upper deck) rather than new built 743's so that could answer your question.
                Not all were. They did take delivery of newbuilt -300's and liked them so much that they retrofitted their -200's. Nonetheless, they all had the same engines, which do not look like the RG -300's.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X