Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low-cost over Atlantic...?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloud_9
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Sep 2005

Low-cost over Atlantic...?

Would there be a market for low-cost air travel over the Atlantic...in order to compete with the larger carriers...

I know this is going to bring back memories of Laker Airways, but have been doing some research into it for a university project I am conducting...

According to the Laker Airways Unoffical Website (www.lakerairways.co.uk), the cheapest fare was 32.50 (winter) / 37.50 (summer)...

This fare obviously only gives you a seat on the aircraft, and you are expected to pay extra for everything else (e.g. meals, drinks... etc.) , but what I am wondering is whether we could ever see a return to low-cost flying over the Atlantic at similar prices quoted above...?
  • GAZGLA
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2004

I'd say both Zoom and flyGlobespan are offering very cheap trans-Atlantic fares.

Gaz
    www.egphforum.com

Comment

• rdc1000
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Zoom is a good example of such a carrier, and Air Transat is part of the way there, although not as good as Zoom. I think my understanding is that you get food and entertainment aboard Zoom, but I haven't looked into this.

With regards to whether we will ever see seats at that price again...I highly doubt it, due to 25 years of inflation since that time, but I think in principle we could see lower fares than anybody is currently offering. There are other issues to overcome though, primarily the bilateral agreements between many countries. Due to liberalisation we have LCCs in Europe (and the US), but some of the highly lucrative long haul routes which could be prime targets for some form of LCC service are heavily restricted by the bilaterals already in place.

Comment

• A330-300
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2005

What about Aer Lingus? What kind of fares do they charge?
        sigpic

Comment

• exmpa
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2005

According to the Laker Airways Unoffical Website (www.lakerairways.co.uk), the cheapest fare was 32.50 (winter) / 37.50 (summer)...
          Have you worked out the present day price for the fares you quote, adjusted for inflation? No doubt your tutor will want to see an adequate method of adjustment, not just for the lowest fares, but accross the whole fare structure. When you compare them with presently available fares, you may find that "low-cost" trans-atlantic is already a reality. MAN-ORD rtn. was available last winter sub 200.00. inc. taxes. It would be interesting if you would post the adjusted figures along with the methodolgy and indices you employed.

exmpa

Comment

• cloud_9
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by exmpa
            Have you worked out the present day price for the fares you quote, adjusted for inflation?
            No I have not worked out the present day price, all I wanted to know was if there would be market to offer such fares as Laker did in the 70/80's, and if not, why?

Comment

• Spence_CWL
              • Jul 2004

Zoom are hugely successful in their operations to Canada. I'm sure the same success could be achieved with these sort of flights to USA. However, I'm not sure the American authorites would allow it. United, US, Delta and increasingly Continental are all in a bad way, and it's just getting more and more difficult to get into the black. If these tarns atlantic locos spring up, it would probably mark the end of these American giants. They couldn't compete. It would be hugely embarrassing for them and the goverment, and think of all the jobs that would go. They wouldn't allow it. It's like a foreign carrier can't own more than 49% of an American carrier. Thier protectionist, and judging by the state of their airlines finances they have to be

Comment

• Ren Frew
                Taxi Rank User
                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by A330-300
                What about Aer Lingus? What kind of fares do they charge?
                I got a return to LA for 299 inc a few years ago with them.
                Go n-ithe an cat th, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

Comment

• steve rowell
                  Expat Geordie
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Ren Frew
                  I got a return to LA for 299 inc a few years ago with them.
                  That's incredibly cheap, was it an outside seat on the wing or something?????
                  Best Regards Steve

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                  X