Member for

20 years 11 months

Can you get any closer than this?????

www.airliners.net/open.file/962941/M/

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

Damn, that is close!

Where was it taken...? I think I will have to pay a visit just to see what it is like...nothing beats a 747-400 from going over or by you at close distance..., well that is until the A380 comes into service!

Member for

24 years 3 months

At a spotters' day, i managed to be under the wing of a G-222, whose enbines were running (OK, it wasn't rolling by then). If i can find the pictures back, i'll post them.

But the 747 must be quite impressive, expecially the vortices!

Member for

18 years 9 months

That's not that much closer than a few select spots down at the southside of 06R/24L at Manchester :D

But we do have a higher fence!!!

Member for

18 years 7 months

That's not that much closer than a few select spots down at the southside of 06R/24L at Manchester :D

But we do have a higher fence!!!

Southside MAN 06R/24L
Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

I still love the Duck it's coming from the end of 03 at ACE

Member for

19 years 9 months

The photo is of the bus stop on the airside tour at Zurich. The bus usually stays there for 10-15 minutes before the tour moves on. No one is allowed to stand out there except whilst the bus is there, and what you see whilst the bus is stopped out there depends very much on the luck of the draw and good timing.

Andy

PS: It is in fact not much closer than the southside paths at MAN

Member for

24 years 3 months

Anyone up for a Zurich daytrip? ;)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Ah yes ZRH.....they are pretty close, back in Spetember when i was there, they could see me waving in an RJ100 at them! (Don't ask why)

Member for

19 years 9 months

Anyone up for a Zurich daytrip? ;)

If I remember correctly, the airside tour is called "Rundfarhten" (or something like that - Swiss German you know!), and it used to cost something like SFR5 for about a 45 minute tour including a drive round the hangars, the terminal ramps and time at the infamous bus stop. The only place you get off the bus is at the runway intersection as seen in the photo. The tours run much more regularly at the weekend (they might not even run every day in the week???), although demand is also higher at weekend when you may have to wait an hour or two to get on a tour. Tours ran from the viewing deck. Commentry is provided, albeit in Swiss-German - "hier ist ein emm-dee-elf" :confused:

The best trick at the runway intersection was to hope that a second bus showed up whilst you were out there - again, much more likely at weekend. Then, leaving the crowd from the original bus and merging into people from the other bus load allowed for a longer stay by the runway. I managed to stay out there for over an hour one time as successive busses came along, but sadly in the end one bus driver wised up to what I was doing and insisted I got onto his bus :(

Andy

Member for

20 years 1 month

I don't mind listening to Swiss-German, its a much softer language on the ear, you know what i mean.

And a daytrip sadly to ZRH, is unlikely, its just too expensive to get there, for a day at least!

Member for

21 years 1 month

Andy,

when I was there in August the bus tours only operated on Wednesday and Saturday. They offered 3 tours - i) airport + intersection ii) airport + intersection + stop at viewing area in new midfield terminal iii) transport to midfield terminal only
I was lucky in that there was some sort of festival on so all were free but would normally be a few Sfr.