Air Berlin starting UK domestic flights!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

Yep, Air Berlin are starting STN-MAN and GLA! With onward connections available at STN it seems. i.e GLA-STN-TXL can be booked.

http://www.airberlin.com/

When the route map is loading EDI and DUB and SOU, some others as well as I think, strangely appear before disappearing again when the route map has actually loaded. :confused:
I've attached both versions so you can see what I mean, the left hand being the route map loading and the right hand side being the route map loaded. Not very clear, but you get the idea. ;) Not sure if it's charter destinations or something that disappear, but I can't think of any AB charters serving EDI on a regular basis. :confused:

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

They won't last 5 minuets in the British domestic market, LCCs can fly domestically in most countries other than their own, i.e. Air Berlin in spain but the British Market is somewhere you don't wanna go if you ask me.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think Air Berlin are a great airline. Although I've never flown with them before, what I've learnt about them is interesting. Not only are they cheap, but they have allocated seating and offering an inflight service with snacks and beverages included in the cost of the ticket.

However, is there likely to be much demand for the Stansted/Manchester route - enough demand for two return flights every day? I always used to think that flights from London to Manchester were pointless anyway, as both cities are so close to one another. Stansted is even closer.

Secondly, with the Glasgow route, its going to be stiff competition. flyglobespan.com also has two daily departures at almost exactly the same times, but whereas the cheapest seat on Air Berlin is exactly £38, flyglobespan is a mere £30.08. Also, easyJet has four departures a day and Ryanair has 5 or 6, but to Prestwick. Of the four airlines operating this route, Air Berlin is likely to be one of the most expensive, alongside easyJet. With so many airlines already operating the route, are there enough passengers to justify another airline operating it? On an average morning, there will be something crazy like 10 flights to Glasgow from Stansted.

I reckon its going to be tough and would be surprised to see if the Glasgow flights last for the reason stated above - that Glasgow is already served by many considerably cheaper airlines.

Manchester is a route I would like to make a guess about, but I'd prefer not to. Its not a cheap route to fly at the moment as Eastern Airways seem to be the only operator, so that's a huge advantage. But bear in mind that Eastern Airways uses much smaller aircraft. Would Air Berlin be able to fill two 737s a day from Stansted?

I'm sceptical.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I think Air Berlin are a great airline. Although I've never flown with them before, what I've learnt about them is interesting. Not only are they cheap, but they have allocated seating and offering an inflight service with snacks and beverages included in the cost of the ticket.

However, is there likely to be much demand for the Stansted/Manchester route - enough demand for two return flights every day? I always used to think that flights from London to Manchester were pointless anyway, as both cities are so close to one another. Stansted is even closer.

Secondly, with the Glasgow route, its going to be stiff competition. flyglobespan.com also has two daily departures at almost exactly the same times, but whereas the cheapest seat on Air Berlin is exactly £38, flyglobespan is a mere £30.08. Also, easyJet has four departures a day and Ryanair has 5 or 6, but to Prestwick. Of the four airlines operating this route, Air Berlin is likely to be one of the most expensive, alongside easyJet. With so many airlines already operating the route, are there enough passengers to justify another airline operating it? On an average morning, there will be something crazy like 10 flights to Glasgow from Stansted.

I reckon its going to be tough and would be surprised to see if the Glasgow flights last for the reason stated above - that Glasgow is already served by many considerably cheaper airlines.

Manchester is a route I would like to make a guess about, but I'd prefer not to. Its not a cheap route to fly at the moment as Eastern Airways seem to be the only operator, so that's a huge advantage. But bear in mind that Eastern Airways uses much smaller aircraft. Would Air Berlin be able to fill two 737s a day from Stansted?

I'm sceptical.

I'm not sure if there is enough demand to MAN, but I can think of one forum member inparticular that might be quite pleased at the addition of low cost flights from STN to MAN though. ;)

As for GLA, there's no way that the STN flights alone can be sustained, Flyglobespan are finding it tough enough as it is trying to get a share of the market. I think what Air Berlin will be hoping for here is that the incentive of one-stop flights being bookable will mean that passengers use it not to get to STN alone but as a way of connecting on to one of the Germany flights that are bookable from from GLA via STN. That's something that EZY or any of the other airlines on the route doesn't offer.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm not sure if there is enough demand to MAN, but I can think of one forum member inparticular that might be quite pleased at the addition of low cost flights from STN to MAN though. ;)

As for GLA, there's no way that the STN flights alone can be sustained, Flyglobespan are finding it tough enough as it is trying to get a share of the market. I think what Air Berlin will be hoping for here is that the incentive of one-stop flights being bookable will mean that passengers use it not to get to STN alone but as a way of connecting on to one of the Germany flights that are bookable from from GLA via STN. That's something that EZY or any of the other airlines on the route doesn't offer.

Yes, I completely agree that most passengers won't want Stansted as their final destination, but do a lot of the Air Berlin flights operate via Berlin anyway? Again, this is not somewhere most people are going to want to go. for example, someone in Glasgow who would want to travel to Eastern Europe (let's say Budapest) would need to fly GLA to STN to TXL to BUD. Its just one big hassle having too many connections.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Yes, I completely agree that most passengers won't want Stansted as their final destination, but do a lot of the Air Berlin flights operate via Berlin anyway? Again, this is not somewhere most people are going to want to go. for example, someone in Glasgow who would want to travel to Eastern Europe (let's say Budapest) would need to fly GLA to STN to TXL to BUD. Its just one big hassle having too many connections.

I think they have a lot of one-stops to Germany from GLA, to 7 various airports, all via STN, but only STN. However I'm not convinced those few destinations that can be done one stop will provide enough passengers to make 2x daily GLA-STN flights work either, and as you said if you want to connect anywhere else on Air Berlin's network then it will either require yet another stop or the security of being able to book from GLA straight through to the final destination (with a stop) is gone, so if you miss a connection your stuffed, as with any other Loco.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Wow, the best news I've heard from STN in years :D

I've been wishing for EZY or someone to start a low-cost route to MAN, but now AB have done it instead. I can see myself becoming a very regular MAN visitor before long ;)

T5, I think the MAN route can be sustained from STN. From speaking to people who have travelled on the Eastern J41's, they always seem to be full and that's at £180 or something ridiculous return. There are a lot of people in East Anglia, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk etc who would have to travel from LGW or LHR to get to MAN, encountering a 2 or 3 hour trip to the airport for a 30 minute flight (but still cheaper than taking the train or driving). STN is within an hours reach of most of those people mentioned.

Also, you may be surprised at the amount of flights AB operate from STN. You're talking about everything being via Berlin...this isn't the case. If you go to the AB website and hover your mouse over London, you can see the pretty large route network that AB operate out of here, being our 3rd biggest operator.

Member for

18 years 9 months

They are also doing BOH to PMI aswel as the BOH to PAD. Anyone know what aircraft will be used from BOH ,STN ,GLA and MAN.

James

Member for

20 years 9 months

Hehe check out the signature, that lasted long didn't it ;)

27th December I'll by trying Air Berlin for the first time, and probably my best chance yet of getting a 738 with winglets. £38 return including taxes, and they also offer complimentary food/drink. And just to top it off, I only have to travel 4 miles to the airport :D

Member for

20 years 2 months

27th December I'll by trying Air Berlin for the first time, and probably my best chance yet of getting a 738 with winglets. £38 return including taxes, and they also offer complimentary food/drink. And just to top it off, I only have to travel 4 miles to the airport :D

LOL. How predictable. ;) But what a bargain!

Member for

24 years 3 months

MAN-STN - Excellent.

Suits me very well - have recently been let down by RYR on the BLK-STN run and the timings suit me better in the evening - great stuff!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Good news indeed for MAN, GLA and STN!I wish AB allthe best!

Member for

20 years 9 months

Just had a thought. If load factors aren't huge on these routes, who's to say they couldn't use the F100's as feeders for their 737 services out of STN?

MAN-STN - Excellent.

Suits me very well - have recently been let down by RYR on the BLK-STN run and the timings suit me better in the evening - great stuff!

I agree, the timings of these new flights are perfect. I'll leave my house at 6am to check-in, then after arriving back at STN at 1915 I'll be home by 8pm!

Member for

19 years 9 months

At a pure guess, I would have thought EDI-STN->Onwards would be a better option - providing a cheaper link from Edinbrugh to Germany?

....................... but EDI already has direct services to Germany some of which are being cut back or dropped completely due to poor pax numbers. About time Glasgow got its chance to establish air-links to Germany!

Member for

20 years 11 months

Up for a meet then Dan? ;).

Ill have to drag my **** over to MAN for a days spotting down at STN, and to try Air Berlin is just a bonus. Dan can run me around to the best spotting place ;).

Member for

21 years 1 month

Manston Airport - if SOU movements for AB are anything to go by then they will use any aircraft in their fleet. Since they started the SOU route all bar 4 of their 737's have visited.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Manston Airport - if SOU movements for AB are anything to go by then they will use any aircraft in their fleet. Since they started the SOU route all bar 4 of their 737's have visited.

Thank you for the information.

James

Member for

24 years 3 months

T5.

You've obviously not driven the route very often. An accident on the M1 or M6 can add hours to your journey from London and if you are travelling from the Stansted area an accident on the A14 can truly ruin your day.

A half fhour flight has got to beat a minimum four hour drive and I would think it likely that there would be more than enough interest from the business community.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

20 years 9 months

Up for a meet then Dan? ;).

Ill have to drag my **** over to MAN for a days spotting down at STN, and to try Air Berlin is just a bonus. Dan can run me around to the best spotting place ;).

Tom, feel free to book yourself on a flight down to STN sometime soon. A good place to start looking at dates would be next February, during half term (around 13-17th Feb). Make sure you confirm with me before booking though, then I'll make sure I have the day off to run you around STN.

That goes for anyone else too, if you'd like to agree on a date to come down with Tom. I'll be able to (squeeze) 2 other people in my car.

This is all dependent on me passing my test, but seeing as I'm taking my driving test next week I'm quite sure I'll be passed before February!

Member for

19 years 9 months

Best of luck with the test Dan! Though it seems fashionable these days for everyone to fail at least once :S

Don't hesitate!!

Member for

19 years 6 months

They are also doing BOH to PMI aswel as the BOH to PAD.

PMI is via PAD

....................... but EDI already has direct services to Germany some of which are being cut back or dropped completely due to poor pax numbers. About time Glasgow got its chance to establish air-links to Germany!

HLX are axing HAM because they are focusing on CGN, STR and HAJ. Although CGN is being reduced, BD are restarting MUC

I would like to see AB start STN-EDI,NCL,ABZ,INV,BFS. I think these routes could work well with a good mic of loca traffic and connecting traffic