Ryanair Landing with 1 Engine

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Hi,

Just heard that last night a ryanair B738 made an emergency landing at Sturup with engine failure. The aircraft had 111 passengers on board and made a safe landing with no casualties,

Ryanair did send a replacement plane which collected the stansted bound passengers, from Tempere, Finland, arrived at 0200 - rather than running the risk of paying for accomodation :rolleyes:

Many have knocked this was a failed attempt to save fuel!

Fot the Swedish speaking among us (if there is any) please translate: http://sydsvenskan.se/skane/article125385.ece

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

You obviosly mean a 737 a/c...not surprised as this type is really being exploited as far as utilisation is concerned...I shudder to think of what incident is just waiting to happen...just because 'preventative 'maintainence no longer seems in 'fashoin'!!Al La Helios Airways etc etc! Ryanair could well be going down that route?!!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Too much to translate, since I'm not getting paid for the job!

. . . 11 pm emergency landing at Sturup . . . only one operating engine . . . landed safely
Boeing 737 . . . Ryan Air (sic), from Tammerfors (Tampere - been there a few times!) in Finland to Stanstead (sic = Stansted) . . . at 10:33 pm Swedish ATC received a report that the aircraft only had one operating engine . . . landed at 10:58 pm, flamked by fire engines and ambulances
. . . Difficult landing as one must land at high speed when only one engine working, said ATC spokeswoman Katarina Ahlberg . . .
But pilots practise this regularly . . .
Took up a lot of the runway before it stopped . . . at midnight the passengers were still waiting for information as to whether a replacement aircraft would be provided or they must stay in hotels overnight . . . all calm . . . no panic
Just after 2 am they could continue on another aircraft . . .
Ryan Air technicians will trace the fault on Wednesday and try to repair the aircraft.
Papa Lima, qualified Swedish translator, among other things!

Member for

18 years 6 months

Cheers Papa Lima, I'd love to learn swedish as well as Norweigan, Czech, Polish, Finnish, Russian, Estonian, but I have trouble with just the one, French.

Why do a/c need to land at high speed when operating with just the one engine, i've an idea - is it so that if they need to pull up it will be easier as you've already got the speed?

ommaroo, B738 = B737-800, you usually get this B7Xx

X = Type
x = Variant

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for that gen Wozza...forgot its all abbreviations these days.!.Can be confusing I would have thought...Being a dash 800 though..should be trouble free!..

Member for

20 years 9 months

Hi,
Many have knocked this was a failed attempt to save fuel!

lol. wouldn't surprise me.