Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schiphol opens new H pier

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenthije
    Harrie Spotter
    • Jan 2000

Schiphol opens new H pier

Translated from Dutch:

http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?id=10908

SCHIPHOL - The seventh pier at Schiphol, the H-pier, has been opened today. This pier will be used exclusively by low cost carriers. Initially Easyjet, Thomsonfly, BMIbay, Jet2 and SkyEurope will use the pier. December 1st Wizz Air will join them.

At first the number of daily flights is expected to be 20 to 30. This can be increased to at most 64.

The H-pier was build to create some more space in the central area of the terminal, to cater for the expected grow of KLM/AF and its partners. The new pier is intended for point-to-point carriers that will have few transiting passengers. A quick turnaround time will be important. Schiphol claims this will be possible.

Passengers travelling through the H-pier will enter the area through lounge 3, the central waiting and shopping area immediately after pasport contorl. Just prior to boarding the people will be moved to a pre-boarding room on ground level. From there they can walk over the platform to the waiting plane. Therefor the new pier will have no jetties. People with a disability will be bussed to the plane.

Construction of this terminal started in february.
    Interesting to note that, according to the NOS news, the new terminal will be completely void of any luxury. Including toilets!

It is clear that Schiphol wants to keep the passengers in the central area as long as possible. If course this will only increase the likelyhood of a passenger not making it to the flight on time, thereby quite possibly increasing the chance of a plane missing its short turnaround times!

It remains to be seen if this will indeed safe time for AMS. As it is the turnaround time is already quite impressive. Indeed it is the taxying times that are the main problem. Taxying from the Polderbaan to Schiphol Plaza takes at least 20 minutes. That's a lot of time for airlines that normally have a turnaround time under an hour.
    Click here to view my photos at JetPhotos.net!
    Click here to visit my website!
  • LBARULES
    Pointless flightaholic!
    • May 2003

I know not to head straight to the pier when I go to AMS in Feb!

Comment

• Flex 35

Damn, same as Tom, I will try my best to avoid the pier until the last possible moment when I fly to LPL with easy from AMS in DEC!

Flex 35

Comment

• paulc
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Feb 2003

same here - only its next week to AMS for me !
        http:www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=481

Comment

• tenthije
          Harrie Spotter
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by paulc
          same here - only its next week to AMS for me !
          The airliners.net meet by any chance?

Comment

• paulc
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Feb 2003

no - but 4 of us will probably be on the terminal observation area Thursday & Friday (flying Easyjet from LGW very early)

Comment

• tenthije
              Harrie Spotter
              • Jan 2000

ok, can't join you. The A.net meet is saturday, if you will still be in AMS then you are welcome to join.

Comment

• paulc
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Feb 2003

will not be there - going back Friday evening - have a weekend to recover

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X