Odd LCC Request

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 2 months

Just wondering if some people could help me out here.

At uni I'm doing a module titled "Aerospace Industry Studies" and have a report to write about events that have changed the aerospace industry. I have chosen a bit of an obscure one as 1 of the choices.

Looking at the effect of low cost carriers on the industry, especially over the last 5-10 years.

Basically I am looking for as much information about low cost carriers, and their effects on other airlines, the big manufacturers etc andw as wondering if anyone on here had any ideas that maybe I hadn't thought about?

Cheers in advance

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

w as wondering if anyone on here had any ideas that maybe I hadn't thought about?

How do we know if we have any ideas you haven't thought about if you don't tell us what ideas you have thought about? :rolleyes:

---

In all seriousness, the subject is so large I doubt you'll get anything deep and meaningful here... Maybe a read of available writings on the subject would be a good place to start.

Andy

Member for

19 years 2 months

Thats a very fair point. What i really meant to say is that any information, or resources about Low cost carriers and their effect on the aero industry would be gratefully received!

Member for

24 years 2 months

please drop me a line at petertenthije-at-yahoo.com or go on MSN, same adress as my email.

replace -at- with @, don't care much for spam mail

Member for

19 years 5 months

There is a very good book by Simon Calder about low cost airlines. Might be useful

Member for

18 years 6 months

You could try looking at passenger/rpk market shares of people like Southwest, Easyjet and Ryanair by getting hold of ICAO statistics for the past ten years. The CAA library has these.

Also try looking through back copies of Airline Business magazine - they have done some good articles in the past.

Member for

18 years 6 months

The other thing is that the term Low Cost Carrier has never really been defined so you may need to start by defining exactly what you understand by this term.

You could look at airline annual reports and try and break out airline operating costs as much as possible and compare the LCCs against leagcy carriers.

You might also want to look at the rise of the secondary airport by the involvement of the LCC. Here you could analyse schedules on a country pair basis for 2005 and 1995 for example and see how the position of the major routes from the UK to France for example has changed as the LCCs have operated to airports other than Paris, Bordeaux, Lyon etc. Again the ICAO statistical digests would be useful here - the Traffic by Flight Stage shows the number of pax, seats and number of flights on a flight stage basis.

Just a thought.

ps can you tell that I used to do this sort of thing as a regular job?

Member for

24 years 2 months

There is a very good book by Simon Calder about low cost airlines. Might be useful

Yep i think i got this one. It has Ryanair, Southwest, easyJet and Go tails on the cover. Ill dig it out and get the ISBN for you if you want.

If you are going in depth to the more business side of locos then id recomend the book by Go CEO Barbra Cassini (spelling isnt correct). He book is fasinating and i have it so can get ISBN also if wanted.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Another thought I had that you might include is the effect of the third package of EC liberalisation in the air travel market removing the barriers to new carriers setting up and operating services, you could compare and contrast with the US deregulation following the disbandment of the CAB.

That's enough thoughts - Ed

Member for

19 years 5 months

If you are going in depth to the more business side of locos then id recomend the book by Go CEO Barbra Cassini (spelling isnt correct). He book is fasinating and i have it so can get ISBN also if wanted.

There is also one on Ryanair. Quite recent too. Written by an Irish Woman