Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sydney-London non-stop a possibility in 2006

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve rowell
    Expat Geordie
    • Apr 2003

Sydney-London non-stop a possibility in 2006

Qantas is toying with the idea of a non-stop Sydney to London service next year
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E23349,00.html
    Best Regards Steve
  • KabirT
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Personaly i wont take this flight, cant bear the thought of sitting in a plane for THAT long.
    "one is the loneliest number.."

Comment

• steve rowell
      Expat Geordie
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by KabirT
      Personaly i wont take this flight, cant bear the thought of sitting in a plane for THAT long.
      I'd be prepared to pay a premium if it cut the overall flying time down by several hours!!
      Best Regards Steve

Comment

• bring_it_on
        2005-year of the RAPTOR!!
        • Jun 2004

What would that time be though..i would say that a normal one stop flight would take something like 3-4 hours(minimum) or so longer then a non-stop!!! Maybe they can offer more leg room and other goodies to make the journey more comfortable!!
        Old radar types never die; they just phased array

Comment

• chornedsnorkack
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jul 2005

Density

Originally posted by bring_it_on
          What would that time be though..i would say that a normal one stop flight would take something like 3-4 hours(minimum) or so longer then a non-stop!!! Maybe they can offer more leg room and other goodies to make the journey more comfortable!!
          They may have to give the legroom anyway. If they fly near the range limit then they may not be able to operate with a payload full of coach passengers... fewer seats and more space for each lightens the plane!

Comment

• andrewm
            Rank 2 Registered User
            • Jan 2000

It does say in article they are evaluating an all business class services...
            Regards, Andrew

Comment

• Manston Airport
              Fokker Crazy
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by KabirT

I would love to go on this flight.Could the A350 couple with this range aswel as the 787.

James
              Looking forward to the 2010 airshow Season

sigpic

Comment

• symon
                Planoholic
                • Oct 2005

The article stated that it could only go Sydney-London. So if they gave passengers more leg room for the ultra-long journey there, then that would mean that the passengers using the same plane for whatever route on the way back eg. LHR-SIN-SYD would get the same extended legroom for theoretically a lower price (due to the stop)?
                Sy

Everybody makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers on the ends of pencils.

Comment

• wozza
                  Chelsea Fan
                  • Sep 2005

Why would the price be lower with a stop? I thought the price would have been bigger because the fees have to be paid at an additianal airport, i'd love to fly London to Sydney, then again Ive never flown long haul.

Comment

• chornedsnorkack
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wozza
                    Why would the price be lower with a stop? I thought the price would have been bigger because the fees have to be paid at an additianal airport, i'd love to fly London to Sydney, then again Ive never flown long haul.
                    Because if there is a fuel stop, the plane can fly all the way with light fuel loads, and burn less fuel in total. The beginning of a long-haul trip burns much fuel to carry the rest of fuel.

Also, if there is a stop, the crews might leave at the stop and be replaced, instead of travelling along, resting on the plane and getting paid for not being on the ground...

Comment

• bkonner
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Apr 2004

Why the price is lower with a stop

The price is lower with a stop because it is less convenient for the passenger. QF will charge what the market will bear. It has less to do with the actual cost of the trip. For instance, it is cheaper for me to fly NW from BOS to ORD via DTW vs. AA or UA non stop from BOS to ORD. It is certainly less expensive for the carrier too to offer a non-stop flight. The same thing applies on SQ's fare from EWR to SIN. It is cheaper to take the connecting or one stop flight. It has to be, because what is the incentive to take a connecting or one stop flight when it takes longer?

Bkonner

Comment

• Michael_Mcr
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Aug 2005

On four occasions (2 return flights) i have walked aimlessly round Singapore airport for half-an-hour ( twice in the wee hours of the morning when it was completely deserted !!) whilst they refuel the London - Sydney plane (or vice-versa) and i can honestly say never again !

Next time i will simply re-mortgage the house, buy a seat with a bed and drink heavily pre-flight

Comment

• MapleLeaf_330
                          • Jan 2000

This is a fantastic idea for business travellers. They'll likely be able to move around at a bar or common area.

Qantas really seems to be pulling out all the stops in upgrading their service. Aren't they developing big product plans for their A380 interiors as well?

Comment

• steve rowell
                            Expat Geordie
                            • Apr 2003

It beats sitting around in some airport transit lounge or club for several hours at a time.
                            Business or first class travel for that amount of time would be quite comfortable, but i should imagine sitting all that time in economy without a break would be quite unbearable
                            Last edited by steve rowell; 21st October 2005, 06:07.
                            Best Regards Steve

Comment

• wysiwyg
                              Retard :)
                              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Michael_Mcr
                              ...Next time i will simply re-mortgage the house, buy a seat with a bed and drink heavily pre-flight
                              Well you won't be getting on one of my flights if you do that last bit...

Comment

• Michael_Mcr
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Aug 2005

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr
                                ...Next time i will simply re-mortgage the house, buy a seat with a bed and drink heavily pre-flight

Originally posted by wysiwyg
                                Well you won't be getting on one of my flights if you do that last bit...
                                Fine, have it your own way.

..I shall simply arrive sober and carry my duty free in my hand-luggage, making sure to take regular bathroom breaks until both bottles of Vodka are finished :diablo:

Michael

PS in all seriousness, i dont drink anything on aircraft nowadays, apart from lots of water, simply because i found that i always felt lousy post-flight from the heady mix of alchohol and bug-ridden re-cycled cabin air....

PPS Did you see the edition of "Airport" or some such program with the family from Liverpool taking their first holiday for years and the husband was so P***ed in the airport lounge that he couldnt even stand up !!! - needless to say he wasnt allowed to fly.........

Comment

• wysiwyg
                                  Retard :)
                                  • Jan 2000

That's ok then...but don't bother booking accomodation at the far end as the police cell won't cost you anything.

Comment

• Michael_Mcr
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by wysiwyg
                                    That's ok then...but don't bother booking accomodation at the far end as the police cell won't cost you anything.
                                    hahahahaha - imagine someone getting blind drunk at the departing airport and the next thing they know is waking up in a cell, they would have to bang the door and get attention to find out what country they were in....

"Oh....still in England then ? "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                    X