What would happen if you landed with the parking brake set? Let's find out...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

I don't know any of the information behind these pictures other than it appears a MidAtlantic Airlines E170 crew landed with the parking brake set. Oops.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 7 months

Oopps, must remember the checklist next time...

dme

Member for

24 years 3 months

In a Homer Simpson styleee..... 'DOH!!!'

Member for

20 years 11 months

Oopps, must remember the checklist next time...

dme

No checklist would have prevented this as setting the parking brake in flight is non-standard.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Woah, they did a number on that wheel...

Member for

19 years

When did that happen?

Member for

20 years 11 months

I was able to find out that this happened in IAH fairly recently.

Member for

20 years 11 months

All this is a result of trying to fool the ACARS? Man, they've got to feel stupid now.

Member for

18 years 9 months

bang.bang,grind.............
how much damage would that cause to a runway?

Member for

24 years 3 months

bang.bang,grind.............
how much damage would that cause to a runway?

Not as much damage as a 747 with the parking break on, but will probably need resurfacing as it will cause ruts.

Member for

19 years 7 months

No checklist would have prevented this as setting the parking brake in flight is non-standard.

Oh right. I was just thinking of BUMF, really just the B part. Do airlines not use this?

dme

Member for

19 years 10 months

So the parking brake is pretty good then...

Member for

20 years 11 months

There is some info here, but don't know if there is any truth in it. Also has some pics of the damage.

http://www.propstoppers.org/Pictures/USAir.htm

Looking at those pictures again they show an Airbus not an Embraer. It seems that USAirways has had a history of landing with the brakes on.

Member for

18 years 8 months

I would assume an Anti Skid Failure. On most large jets you set the parking brake by applying the brakes and pulling the parking brake knob. With the gear up and stowed, and the gear handle in neutral, there would be no hydraulic power to the brakes and the parking brake could not be set.

Member for

20 years 11 months

At least on the Embraer's it's possible to set the brake in flight and yes, you will land with the brakes locked. We had someone try this on an E145 and ended up doing donuts down the runway until the tires blew. Not the sharpest tack in the box he was.

Member for

18 years 8 months

Whisley Delta,

Sometimes you have to assume that the flight crew know what they are doing.

Member for

20 years 11 months

You know what they say when you assume....

Member for

18 years 8 months

Yes I know!

Member for

20 years 11 months

You know what they say when you assume....

One would assume that the two bodies in the pointy end are highly trained professionals working for a reputable airline, trained so highly that two of them couldn't make the same stupid mistake

Member for

20 years 11 months

For every assumption folks have about pilots there is some pilot making some assumptions about his performance, conditions, capability, etc...

http://www.airdisaster.com/

Unfortunately human factors can easily undo decades of education, training and experience.