Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabin Crew would not let me take photos during take off !

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmurphy
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Comet
    That doesn't sound like typical VLM crews to me (I assume you were on VLM!) I've had several flights with them and not one problem about using a camera or video camera. The VLM crews are usually spot on with manners.
    Yes, I've found this before, I think I just caught her on a bad day!, it was a full plane and we where already 10 minutes late, so I'll let her off for her tone of voice (can't be too hard on her as she was a Liverpudlian like me). My camera was in it's smallest form (not much bigger than a Proshot 1 or a Minolta)

I think it was somthing to do, as people have mentioned , about the possibility of a DSLR travelling through the air at 100 mph should the pilot abort take off and I lose my grip on the camera!
    I would not like to be responsible for injuring somebody on a flight

It's strange that on the way back (with only 15 passengers) they didn't blink an eye lid - maybe she had worked at a previous airline and it was their rules?

Comment

• Bharatheeyan
      • Sep 2005

I don't think the interference caused by the FCC PArt 15 type equipment would cause any problems with the avionics even if they were not shielded and protected. So, that is out of discussion.

If mobile phone is a problem, what will happen when the AC flies over a cell tower or a broadcast tower? Hell, doesn't the AC get hit by RADAR energy all the time? So what is the big deal?

I would imagine the concern is purely safety. The portable electronics at the time of writing the law were huge compared to todays microminiature gizmos. I read the sarcasm
      The aeroplane would come to a halt, I would imagine..
      . I happen to totally agree to that ;-) Of course you have heard the phrase
      High speed doesn't kill you. It is the sudden stop that kills.
      . An alert person may be able to hold on to the stuff, but would a kid playing his Gameboy be? All of us know how rough some regular landings can be. A reasonably big gizmo in the hand do pose a threat there.

Then what about a small camera? Well, can we make rules like "Anything less than 50gms is OK". So, the only way is to use crew discretion, and sometimes you will get away with a big SLR, and sometimes not with a tiny Digicam.

Comment

• Comet
        Belgian Beer Expert
        • Jan 2000

I don't think that has anything at all to do with Belgian rules - I have made digital video on take off and approach and touch down with SNBA several times, they know I have done this, they have even seen the videos and they did not have a problem with it.

For those who are planning to fly with VLM - they are a fabulous airline - great service generally and nice inflight snacks. I'm not saying that because they are Belgian, that is my honest opinion on them.
        2009 - the first year without any flights, the first year I lost a holiday, the first and last year I book the bloody Eurostar
        Louise

Comment

• Skymonster
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jul 2004

It always amazes me the arrogance of those who chose to use cameras during take off and landing. All digital cameras are electronic, 99% of film cameras are electronic. What part of "no electronic equipment to be used" do these people not understand? United puts it fairly succinctly - anything with an on/off switch should be off. What gives those who decide to ignore the rule/request the right to believe they know better and are above the rules? What gives them the right to decide that their particular bit of electronic kit poses absolutely no threat whatsoever?

Leaving aside the electrical interference issue, it is a FACT that there is airline concern about lose objects flying around the cabin if there was an accident. And don't say that the strap will stop that happening - is it designed to withstand so-many G and can you guarantee it won't fly off over your head if something happened (newpapers aren't quite the same - they'll hardly become leathal projectiles). What gives those who have lose objects the right to decide their picture taking is more important than the risk of causing injury if an accident happened?

I have contempt for those who ignore rules like the "electronic equipment" rule. They are selfish people who put their own interest in taking picture above the interests of others, and potentially above their own safety and that of the rest of the passengers on the flight. The biggest shame is that more airlines do not enforce the rules more consistantly and as well as VLM did that day.

Andy
          "Light travels faster than sound-that's why some people seem bright until they speak"
          AirTeamImages
          - the best aviation photography

Comment

• SOFTLAD
            • Jan 2000

Skymonster as a whole i agree with what you are saying regarding the things with an on / off switch. But newspapers could be just as hazerdous if not more so. If an aircraft had to be evacuated and a newspaper was in a place it should not be ,it could cause no end of problems. It would only take one person to slip and fall thus blocking an exit with horrible results. I think without getting out of hand with safety there can never be a cabin that is fully secure and safe.

Comment

• T5
              T5
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

I can't see it either, but you do hear airlines request that electronic devices be switched off for takeoff and landing and I guess that they do have your best interests at heart. If the worst should happen, they want you to be prepared and to get out alive!

I remember earlier in the year, EVA Air requested that we turn off some pathetic little handheld solitaire game that we had just bought at the airport. Probably even more pointless than a camera!

And its probably an appropriate time to ask this question: Are passengers allowed to use their own GPS equipment during a flight? I watched a guy in front of me throughout my HKG-LHR flight the other day, holding his computer up by the window. This was the same guy who insisted on sending a text message on his mobile phone as we were on finals for Heathrow
              Michael

Comment

• Flex 35

I have never had problems with taking photos (see on my trip reports on the "other forum"). Nor have I ever been stopped even with cabin crew directly infront of me. It really depends what crew you have on the day.

I guess I'm lucky!

Flex 35

Comment

• Comet
                  Belgian Beer Expert
                  • Jan 2000

I have never seen cabin crew tell people they mustn't take photos during take off or landing, even the nasty characters we had on Air New Zealand (now there's arrogant crews for you). Not all electronic items emit signals which could interfere with navigation, that is a fact. Some items are banned from being used throughout the entire flight, they are the hazardous ones with regard to emitting signals. There is nothing in the safety manuals which says you must not use a CAMERA during take off or landing - a large video camera, yes, but not a small still camera.

Here is what SNBA allow and don't allow:

Not allowed: satellite and cellular phones, portable televisions, portable videotape recording and playback devices, radio receivers, radio transmitters, toys operated by remote control, GPS devices, cordless mouse for laptop computers, any electronic devices that have not been determined as not causing interference with aircraft systems.

Allowed in flight: electronic games without remote controls (eg Gameboy), portable personal music players, portable voice recorders, electronic shavers (except in A330 Business Class), video cameras, portable DVD players.

No mention of people not being allowed to use an ordinary still camera!
                  2009 - the first year without any flights, the first year I lost a holiday, the first and last year I book the bloody Eurostar
                  Louise

Comment

• Ren Frew
                    Taxi Rank User
                    • Jan 2000

I use my small digital regularly on takeoffs, but don't make a song and dance about doing so. I also make sure I have the wrist strap round my wrist.
                    Go n-ithe an cat th, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat !

Comment

• Flood
                      • Jun 2003

Wasn't there some headlines in the papers years ago when someone in first class was discovered to be causing interference (or something) by using their vibrator? Person concerned might have been from a pop group or a film star - hence the recollection!

Anybody care to test whether you are allowed to use vibrators now...?

Flood

Comment

• Grey Area
                        Punter
                        • Apr 2004

Answers to Flood by PM only, please.........
                        You can't fool owls.

Comment

• Ren Frew
                          Taxi Rank User
                          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Flood
                          Wasn't there some headlines in the papers years ago when someone in first class was discovered to be causing interference (or something) by using their vibrator? Person concerned might have been from a pop group or a film star - hence the recollection!

Anybody care to test whether you are allowed to use vibrators now...?

Flood
                          As long as they're analogue vibrators...

Comment

• Skymonster
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Comet
                            Allowed in flight: electronic games without remote controls (eg Gameboy), portable personal music players, portable voice recorders, electronic shavers (except in A330 Business Class), video cameras, portable DVD players.
                            Indeed - as you say, IN FLIGHT. If they say all electronic equipment is to be switched off for take off and landing, which in my experience pretty much all airlines do, what's so difficult to understand about that - what makes YOUR camera not an electronic item?

Andy
                            "Light travels faster than sound-that's why some people seem bright until they speak"
                            AirTeamImages
                            - the best aviation photography

Comment

• Flex 35

Hmm.... lighten up Mr Skymonster. Tell World Air Routes to stop filming from the cabin and cockpit on takeoff/landing and in-flight why don't ya.

http://www.worldairroutes.com/

Flex 35

Comment

• Ren Frew
                                Taxi Rank User
                                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Skymonster
                                what makes YOUR camera not an electronic item?

Andy
                                Well to be fair there are still a few of the good old fashioned mechanical types around. Although perhaps not in this case...

I recall being similarly chastised by an Aer Lingus hostie for playing my personal CD walkman in flight. Note "inflight" not during take off.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                X