Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking on board

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DME
    DME
    Fly me to the Moon
    • Aug 2004

Smoking on board

I was watching Airline last night, where a Britannia 767 was flying out to the Dom Rep. I don't know what year it was, after 1994 though as some folk at the airport were singing Oasis. (and all the cabin crew were Orange with bright Red lips)

One member of a Party who was going to a wedding, lit up a cigarette but was asked to put it out by cabin crew, however later in the show I watched her sitting smoking again

Was smoking barred then, or were the cabin crew only asking her to put the cig out as it was a 'critical' phase of flight???

dme
    Loganair Islander from Papa Westry to Westry....Tower: Logan123 cleared for takeoff. Logan123: Cleared for takeoff Logan123. 38 seconds later....Logan123 finals for Westry!!!!!!
  • SOFTLAD
    • Jan 2000

Most charter airlines allowed smoking in those days i think. The reasons she may have been asked to put it out would have been as follows.

1. The seat belt sign was on for some reason e.g turbulence or decent.

2. She was not in an allocated smoking seat.

3. She was stood up whilst smoking.

4. If she was too drunk and it was deemed unsafe for her to continue to smoke.

Comment

• Pembo330
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

I wonder how strict airlines are in enforcing smoking policy.

I noticed someone smoking the toilet on a flight last week and previously I've heard on the PA that the police will be waiting for a smoker who had just set off the alarms in a toilet.
      Pembo 330

Comment

• tcx00
        • Jun 2005

Yep i think she was, i have also seen that one! - later she spills the champange.

Comment

• MyTravel UK
          • Nov 2004

Hi,

She wasn't asked to put it out - just to sit down with it.

Thanks
          MyTravel UK

Comment

• steve rowell
            Expat Geordie
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Pembo330
            I wonder how strict airlines are in enforcing smoking policy.

I noticed someone smoking the toilet on a flight last week and previously I've heard on the PA that the police will be waiting for a smoker who had just set off the alarms in a toilet.
            So they should be arrested, not only are they endangering their own life, but also the lives of everyone onboard
            Best Regards Steve

Comment

• FlyMonarch
              www.jet2.com
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DME
              I was watching Airline last night, where a Britannia 767 was flying out to the Dom Rep. I don't know what year it was, after 1994 though as some folk at the airport were singing Oasis. (and all the cabin crew were Orange with bright Red lips)

One member of a Party who was going to a wedding, lit up a cigarette but was asked to put it out by cabin crew, however later in the show I watched her sitting smoking again

Was smoking barred then, or were the cabin crew only asking her to put the cig out as it was a 'critical' phase of flight???

dme
              hiya DME I watched that one too. your question seems to be answerd but just my comment, smokin was allowed then she asked her to sit down if she was wanting to smoke so she put it out as shewas wanting to stand.
              Also if you can remember that episode there was a stewaress on the flight called lisa loui?? she was the older lady quite funny, joking with the man who wanted a watch when she was doing a drink service, she also was the one with the nervous passenger and the cyber pet?? well just my little claim to fame i recently flew to TFS this summer with BY on a 763 and she was workin on our flight!!! i remebered her from all those years ago!!!
              She looks better in the TUI uniform instead of the dated old BY one?
              ---P10-

Comment

• andrewm
                Rank 2 Registered User
                • Jan 2000

My dad flew VS to Cape Town from LHR and about 1 hour from touch down a english business woman went into the toilet and started to smoke. The cabin crew saw it and notified the Captain there was a fire in the cabin. He start proceedings for an emergency landing as soon as possible. The cabin crew then burst into toilet with fire extinguisher and found her smoking. They cancelled emergency and continued to Cape Town. The CPT came over PA shortly before landing to explain what had happened and that the woman would be arrested apon landing and have a life time bar from VS and its associated partners!
                Regards, Andrew

Comment

• DME
                  DME
                  Fly me to the Moon
                  • Aug 2004

Cheers everyone. Yes, she was standing and did spill her bevvy later in the show....bit tipsy. So she was just asked to sit down, and if she did then she could continue smoking.

FlyMonarch, yep, I remember her. Dark hair, about 40. Someone asked her for a watch when the cart came round - it was the food cart.

dme
                  Loganair Islander from Papa Westry to Westry....Tower: Logan123 cleared for takeoff. Logan123: Cleared for takeoff Logan123. 38 seconds later....Logan123 finals for Westry!!!!!!

Comment

• laviticus
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jul 2005

We flew euro cypria to larnica in September last year. The captain announced that the smoke alarm had gone off in the toilets and said the person responsible had put the aircraft safety at risk,BUT on the return flight the aircrew closed the curtains and were clearly smoking ,is it a agents rules or the airlines.
                    Quam bene vivas refert, non quam diu.

Comment

• spacemaid
                      • Jan 2004

Hi Guys,

Are there any airlines that still allow smoking on board?

I was just wondering

Sam

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                      X