Emergency Landing at LBA

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

There has been an emergency landing of an aircraft at LBA. There are no details at the moment however.

Original post

Member for

20 years

Keep us updated will you Topjet, or which site are you using?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Someone has just rung from the airport. I have just looked and BBC news isnt saying much at all, just a line in the latest bar.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Looks like it was a Dash 8 Q400.

Flex 35

Member for

18 years 11 months

It is normally a Dash 8 which flys the BHX-EDI route. Glad he got it down safely!

Member for

19 years 8 months

It is normally a Dash 8 which flys the BHX-EDI route.

Look above. ;)

Flex 35

Member for

18 years 11 months

Look above. ;)

Flex 35

Just confirming :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

The air stewardess went to the toilet to find out what was happening. She opened the door and when she turned round her face was ashen.

"Smoke started coming out, it wasn't thick black smoke, it was pale grey and it started coming into the cabin.

"The crew were wearing smoke hoods and people began shouting `where's mine?'

"It was horrible. I thought to myself this is a horrible way to die. from BBC News

People get so over the top!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

People get so over the top!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on. Sometimes people forget on here that passengers are generally not informed or semi-informed aviation enthusiasts. I guarantee you that the majority of people in a cabin filling with smoke would have fearful thoughts of the like mentioned here.

I, as a semi-informed enthusiast, would also be scared in such a circumstance and I'm not ashmed to admit it. It is human instinct.

Put yourself in the passengers shoes and I'm sure you'd think differently.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Oh come on. Sometimes people forget on here that passengers are generally not informed or semi-informed aviation enthusiasts. I guarantee you that the majority of people in a cabin filling with smoke would have fearful thoughts of the like mentioned here.

I, as a semi-informed enthusiast, would also be scared in such a circumstance and I'm not ashmed to admit it. It is human instinct.

Put yourself in the passengers shoes and I'm sure you'd think differently.

I bet you they only said that for maximum effect in the media!

There's no point in panicking in these situations, that doesn't help at all - it just makes it worse.

I know most people aren't as informed as we are on this forum but even so....! No need to get silly is there? :cool:

Member for

20 years

In the light of recent events at Toronto I can well understand passenger panic in this situation.

Member for

19 years 11 months

They are completely independent events, and the chances of that happening again are tiny!

Member for

20 years

Try telling that to the passengers, with a disastrous and very widely reported fire fresh in their minds!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Try telling that to the passengers, with a disastrous and very widely reported fire fresh in their minds!

Well I would have if I was sat next to someone who was getting hysterical, I mean wouldn't you?

Member for

19 years 8 months

Well I would have if I was sat next to someone who was getting hysterical, I mean wouldn't you?

So i take it, you have been in an aeroplane thats had smoke billowing out of the airvents then or an airplane thats had something go wrong with it?

im sure some us aviation enthusiasts would like to kidd ourselves that we would handle it differently to the "lesser informed public" that we are somehow different to those people, just because we know or we THINK we know more than joe public.

i like to think i know more than joe public (My dad has a PPL with over 900hrs, i'm working on my ppl when funds permit) i'm a frequent flyer been on many trips on commercial airliners to many and varied far flung places, i've also been with my dad in his PA28 to Switzland,Denmark,France and Germany.

But when i was on an EasyJet flight from Inverness to Luton about 4-5 years ago, and the capt announced over the PA that a passenger saw "Part of the Starboard wing" leave the aircraft on take off. I didnt start screaming and shouting...but i got a really uneasy feeling in my stomach and i broke into a sweat and started to shake, other passengers started to panic the flight attendant call button was busy. But what really hit home was when the aircraft landed, waiting for us at the end of Lutons Runway, was a fleet of Fire Tenders and some ambulances.

we all eventually got back into the terminal,the first thing i did was go to bar and ordered a large Jack Daniels which quickly dissapered and ordered myself another..i sat down in the bar, i was still shaking and i burst into tears, which was quite embarrasing in a bar full of people.

The Moral of the story is, it doesnt matter how well informed you are or not, people handle the situations differently. Nobody on here can claim that they would not panic in the situation like i faced above or if a plane cabin suddenly becomes filled with smoke and the reason being...... Your not in control. your a passenger there for the ride, your life is in somebody elses hands ableit highly trained hands.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Ive got to agree with the guys in this thread, even as a semi regular flyer, if I saw the cabin full of smoke I would be scared, its natural your going to be.

Just glad everyone was OK, after all, they did choose a decent airport to divert into ;).

Member for

24 years 2 months

My partner and I were on a Ryanair flight that had to return to Stansted due to a mechanical fault. We are very frequent flyers and despite there being no panic on board whatsoever, we have to admit to being extremely worried about what faced us upon landing. As it turned out, there was nothing other than a hard fast landing to worry about (due to weight of the fuel, no doubt?).

It doesn't matter how minor a fault may be during a flight, most people's minds will start racing at first. Like someone has already said - it's human nature. I'm glad I'm human!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I am an ATPL holder with 3,500+ commercial flying hours. I'm certain that I would have been extremely anxious either as a crewmember or as a pax. There is also a vast difference between panic and fear - the two are not necessarily synonymous.

I would also suggest that someone who states that they would not panic without having been in such a situation is making a very bold statement. I know how we all think we'd like to react, but unless you're there, you can't possibly be certain. Also take any press comments/reports as always with a huge dose of NaCl.

Member for

20 years 11 months

it's human nature.

Of course it is, anyone who says they wouldn't be afraid is either very immature or a liar, the thought of an emergency taking place at thirty thousand feet, of which you have no control over, would make even the most frequent of flyers break into a cold sweat