Quick thinking Air Canada pilot averts disaster (Merged)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Parts strewn over Ottawa runway after engine blows

OTTAWA - Passengers credited the quick action of the flight crew for averting potential disaster yesterday after an Air Canada jet blew an engine and aborted takeoff.

The Vancouver-bound Airbus A320 was almost at takeoff speed and more than halfway down the runway at 6:55 p.m. when there was a ``pop" from the right engine, said Peter Simpson, a passenger seated just behind the left wing.

Simpson said the aircraft, believed to be carrying about 120 passengers, seemed to lose speed and the pilot immediately deployed the flaps and started braking.

"The flaps went straight up and we roared to a stop," he said. ``The pilot came on the intercom and apologized and announced they had lost an engine on takeoff.

"I really admire what the pilot did. He was wonderful. He stopped it almost on a dime."

Simpson said the plane's tires were shredded in the emergency stop and firefighters had fans under the aircraft to cool the overheated wheels and brakes.

Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke said the pilot noticed an engine light come on during takeoff.

"As a precaution, he rejected takeoff and as a result the aircraft came to an abrupt stop on the runway which put, obviously, pressure on the brakes and tires," she said.

The plane was not evacuated.

The flight, No. 139, originated in Halifax and stopped in Ottawa to pick up passengers and change crew before flying on to Vancouver.

Simpson said he saw skid marks about 100 metres long with only about a third of the runway remaining. He said the captain told him later that the runway was spewed with engine parts after something disintegrated in the right engine.

Erica Heaphy, 19, was flying for the first time. She and her parents were on their way to a wedding.

"I was freaking out before happened but when I saw the flames, I was really freaking out," said Heaphy. "I just saw a bunch of orange."

Original post

Member for

20 years 2 months

That is exactly why simulator is required every six months, you train for it, practice it, and when ( if) it happens, you simply revert to training.
Well done to the crew,

Member for

20 years 11 months

Agreed Canadair. Clearly a job well done, but not quite the heroics implied by the expert passenger.

1L.

Member for

19 years 7 months

This just goes to prove that practise makes perfect. I am certain the two pilots never even broke a sweat dealing with this problem.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Air Canada Plane skids to halt after flaming engine blows during takeoff

Passengers are crediting the quick action of the flight crew for averting possible disaster last night as an Air Canada Airbus A320 aborted its takeoff after blowing an engine.

Vancouver-bound Flight 139 was almost at takeoff speed more than halfway down the runway at 6:55 p.m. when there was a "pop" from the right engine, said passenger Peter Simpson, who was seated on the left side just behind the wing.

He said the aircraft, believed to be carrying about 120 passengers, seemed to lose speed and the pilot immediately deployed the flaps and started braking, said Simpson.

"The flaps went straight up and we roared to a stop," he said.

"The pilot immediately came on the intercom and apologized and announced they had lost an engine on takeoff," he said.

"There was a problem that caused them to basically abort takeoff," airport spokeswoman Krista Kealey confirmed last night, noting that nobody was injured.

"I really admire what the pilot did," said Simpson. "He was wonderful. He stopped it almost on a dime. It was expertly done. The guy (the pilot) deserves all the credit.

"There was no B.S. He told us exactly what had happened and what was going to happen."

SHREDDED TIRES

Simpson said the plane's tires were shredded in the emergency stop and firefighters had fans under the aircraft to cool the overheated wheels and brakes.

Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke said the pilot noticed an engine indication light come on during takeoff.

"As a precaution, he rejected takeoff and as a result the aircraft came to an abrupt stop on the runway which put, obviously, pressure on the brakes and tires," she said.

Ottawa Fire platoon chief Dave Stevenson said they were called to assist airport fire crews with overheated brakes and tires but it turned out they weren't needed.

"It had the potential to be worse than it was," he said.

Simpson said they were told there was no danger of fire and everyone on board was "extremely calm." The cabin crew told them there was no need to evacuate.

The flight originated in Halifax and stopped in Ottawa to pick up passengers and change the crew before continuing to Vancouver.

Buses took the passengers to the terminal at about 9 p.m.

Simpson said he saw skid marks about 100 metres long with only about one-third of the runway remaining.

He said the captain told him later that the runway was spewed with engine parts after something disintegrated in the right engine.

Kealey said the incident occurred on the airport's main 10,000-ft. Runway 32. While it isn't clear how long it would take to remove the disabled aircraft and engine debris, it shouldn't affect traffic because the second runway was still usable.

Erica Heaphy, 19, was flying for the first time with her parents and several other family members to a wedding anniversary in Vancouver and was sitting just behind the wing when the engine blew.

'FREAKING OUT'

"I was freaking out before it happened but when I saw the flames, I was really freaking out," she said. "I just saw a bunch of orange."

Nine-year-old Sydney Rainboth said she was more bored than scared.

"We waited on the plane for two hours. It was so boring," she said. "I wasn't scared at all."

Info From - http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2005/07/26/1147686-sun.html

Member for

20 years 11 months

No fatalities are always good, a quick thinking well trained pilot, averted what could have been a major catastrophe

Member for

20 years 11 months

This just goes to prove that practise makes perfect. I am certain the two pilots never even broke a sweat dealing with this problem.

I think the adrenalin would have been pumping, after all, pilots are only human the same as us mere mortals

Member for

20 years

And it's already been done - all of two threads further down, in fact. :)

Threads now merged.