Qatar to order 60 A350s and 20 777s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

News just in from the Paris airshow...the question is, when Airbus were talking about the number of orders they would announce at Paris for the A350, was this included (as techinally it is not an order yet, but maybe Airbus had hoped to wrap it up by then)? Anyway...

PARIS 2005: Qatar to commit to 60 A350s and 20 777s
David Kaminski-Morrow, Paris (13Jun05, 12:03 GMT, 284 words)

Middle East flag-carrier Qatar Airways is intending to commit to up to 60 Airbus A350s and 20 Boeing 777s under a renewal plan for its mid-size and high-capacity fleets.

Final negotiations with the two manufacturers, however, are still subject to undisclosed “important outstanding issues”.

Speaking at a briefing at the Paris Air Show today, Qatar Airways chief executive Akbar Al-Baker said that the carrier planned to sign a deal “imminently”.

It will cover 60 A350s, to be delivered between mid-2010 and 2015, initially to supplement and then to replace the airline’s Airbus A330 aircraft.

Qatar Airways has opted to take both the A350-800 and -900 variants. Al-Baker says that the airline chose the A350 over the rival Boeing 787 partly because the carrier already operates the A330. He adds that the airline’s choice of the A350 was swayed by “slightly more advantageous commercial terms”.

The carrier is presently an all-Airbus operator but has today also selected the Boeing 777 for its large widebody fleet. It is intending to take three types – the 777-300ER, -200LR and freighter versions – with deliveries between 2007 and 2010.

About half of the 777 order, says Al-Baker, will comprise the 777-300ER.

Qatar Airways values the A350 deal as potentially worth $10.6 billion while the 777 part is worth $4.6 billion. Al-Baker says that a signature is imminent but that there are still a few “sensitive negotiations” to conclude.

While Qatar Airways did not highlight an engine selection, the General Electric GEnx powerplant is presently the only one available on the A350. The General Electric GE90 is standard on the 777-300ER, 777-200LR and the 777 freighter. The carrier is already a strong GE customer, with CF6 powerplants on its A330 fleet.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well, sounds like good news for both A and B

Member for

21 years

Nice and politically correct from Qatar there, now no-one can complain :D

Member for

20 years 2 months

Nice and politically correct from Qatar there, now no-one can complain :D
If only Air India could take notice... ;)

Member for

20 years

This is a really massive expansion for Qatar Airways, though.

I know I've asked this before, but could they be planning on diversifying into the aircraft leasing business, a la Icelandair?

Member for

24 years 3 months

This is a really massive expansion for Qatar Airways, though.

I know I've asked this before, but could they be planning on diversifying into the aircraft leasing business, a la Icelandair?

I wouldn't have thought so, from what I know of their strategy it is to follow the lead of Emirates in exploiting the good location these carriers have for hub operations. Hubbing passengers is usually low yield and not so worthwhile, and for an airline to almost rely solely on this could eb considered dangerous....but the advantage Qatar and Emirates have over other airlines is that they pay relatively little for fuel in their home nations and so can increase the yield. Therefore this makes them hard to compete against by direct services (in terms of price anyway) and so there is a very large Europe/Asia (and Europe/Africa, Africa/Asia) still to be tapped into. These airliens are big players into the UK when compared to the scale of their operations elsewhere in Europe, if they continue to expand by this method it won't take long before they need all these aircraft.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thinking about it let me put it into perspective a bit....assume 1 aircraft will be used for every daily flight into Europe..if Qatar provide the following services to feed their hub then you can see it won't take long to use all of their A350s...

Munich - Twice daily (ie 2 aircraft)
Dusseldorf - Twice Daily
Geneva - Daily (ie 1 aircraft)
Lyon - Daily
Nice - Daily
Brussels - Twice Daily
BHX - Daily
MAN - Twice Daily
Barcelona - Twice Daily
Madrid - Twice Daily
Stuttgart - Twice Daily
Berlin - Twice Daily

OK, so even with that relatively short list I have used 20 aircraft, and non of those would seem totally unviable for their strategy. So assuming that another 20 aircraft then need to be flying to Asia to compliment these then thats 40 aircraft. So add a few more routes and 80 aircraft can easily be swallowed in the schedule. Also take into account reserve aircraft and those in maintenance.

Member for

20 years

Yes.... when you put it that way I see what you mean. :)

Member for

19 years 10 months

thats good new for both A and B..i wonder what happened to the rumors of qatar going in for the dreamliner.

Member for

20 years

That's rumours for you, mate! :)

Member for

19 years 10 months

Well nice to see the a350 take off with some serious orders..the emirates order should follow..that makes it 3 airlines..nice going..

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thinking about it let me put it into perspective a bit....assume 1 aircraft will be used for every daily flight into Europe..if Qatar provide the following services to feed their hub then you can see it won't take long to use all of their A350s...
I do not know what the current routes are for Qatar. But I know that DUS is not one of them. You did list it though, what makes you think Qatar can fill a flight? Let alone two daily flights to DUS? Emirates is already very active on the route and growing hard (they often upgrade to 343). Would Qatar be able to take part of the market?

Same goes for all the middle eastern airlines really. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air... they are all large airlines with very ambitious expansion plans. One or two of them will probably collapse since I doubt the demand will be there for all four of them (not even counting smaller airlines like Oman Air).

Gulf Air is co-owned by the various Emirates and will in the long term almost certainly cease to be a mayor player. Maybe even cease full stop. After all, why should individual Emirates keep this "SAS-like" airline when they each got a mayor of their own.

I do not think a collapse of Gulf Air alone will be enough though. Another airline may have to go too.

Member for

20 years

Well nice to see the a350 take off with some serious orders..the emirates order should follow..that makes it 3 airlines..nice going..
Let's face it, competition is what drives progress.

I'll be interested to see what medium-to-long term impact the EMB195 will have, because this type will bring Embraer into direct competition with the Big Two for the very first time.

The more the merrier, say I. :)

Member for

20 years 10 months

60 A350s huh???

With no industrial offsets???

I can only imagine how LOW they cut the price for those A330 "warm-overs". :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years

Who knows?

Maybe they're discounted as much as all those Ryanair B737-800s, eh? :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I do not know what the current routes are for Qatar. But I know that DUS is not one of them. You did list it though, what makes you think Qatar can fill a flight? Let alone two daily flights to DUS? Emirates is already very active on the route and growing hard (they often upgrade to 343). Would Qatar be able to take part of the market?

Same goes for all the middle eastern airlines really. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air... they are all large airlines with very ambitious expansion plans. One or two of them will probably collapse since I doubt the demand will be there for all four of them (not even counting smaller airlines like Oman Air).

Gulf Air is co-owned by the various Emirates and will in the long term almost certainly cease to be a mayor player. Maybe even cease full stop. After all, why should individual Emirates keep this "SAS-like" airline when they each got a mayor of their own.

I do not think a collapse of Gulf Air alone will be enough though. Another airline may have to go too.

I never implied the need for any airline to go bust. And I quoted DUS as an example of the kind of destinations that these airlines feed from, so therefore likely possibilities. The airline market is much more contestable than it used to be and indeed I do believe Qatar could enter this market. There are good prime examples of markets similar to DUS which support such services. Take MAN for example, it has 2 Emirates services daily and (when I last looked) 4 flights per week by Qatar, but I am not fooled, I believe that it is capacity shortage which holds Qatar back from expanding at MAN.

You seem to have missed a little of the point with your comment about the 4 carriers in the area taking market share. A lot of the business of Emirates and Qatar is not even to their home nation or the regional market, it is long haul, from one continent to another via their home nation. As it happens Gulf Air has now started turning in a profit, so you'll be stuck if you expect that one to go bust too soon.

Typically air travel is growing at a rate of around 5% per annum, by 2020 the number of passengers travelling will have DOUBLED, therefore if you're not sure whether airports can sustain airlines such as Qatar and Emirates then look at what each airport has now from these carriers and AT LEAST double it (long haul routes are growing very fast). Remember these planes will not be delivered tomorrow and have to be put onto routes, they will be delivered through to 2015, by which time air travel will be nearing that doubling.

Your comments have concerned me about people's understanding of air transport :confused:

Member for

24 years 3 months

I never implied the need for any airline to go bust.
I am not saying you said or implied that! All I said is that I feel there may be a massive oversupply of seats to and from the middle east. And since I do not expect any of the Princes of Kings to have the guts to scale back voluntarily I fear that involuntary cutbacks will be going to happen. Either airlines going entirely or getting much smaller.

And I quoted DUS as an example of the kind of destinations that these airlines feed from, so therefore likely possibilities. The airline market is much more contestable than it used to be and indeed I do believe Qatar could enter this market.
Personally I would say that there are other destinations in Europe that could be more lucrative for a ME airline (not necessarily Qatar. Etihad, Emirates etc can do so too). For instance, AMS lacks a pax fligt from any ME airline. KLM has that market pretty much cornered. Only a fey freight services from Emirates and Qatar. In the past Jordanian and Kuwait used to fly here but they gave up.

There are good prime examples of markets similar to DUS which support such services. Take MAN for example, it has 2 Emirates services daily and (when I last looked) 4 flights per week by Qatar, but I am not fooled, I believe that it is capacity shortage which holds Qatar back from expanding at MAN.
I sincerely hope so. I do not want to see any airline go belly up. I really don't.

You seem to have missed a little of the point with your comment about the 4 carriers in the area taking market share. A lot of the business of Emirates and Qatar is not even to their home nation or the regional market, it is long haul, from one continent to another via their home nation.
Must have missed that indeed. But even then, a transfer hub is only as strong as the the destinations served. In Europe Schiphol is one of the largest transfer points. That is not because KLM serves every destination. All the other airlines offering fligths to destinations help. I am curious to see if all the main hubs in the ME will get services from other nations. Dubai will definately rank high there, but Abu Dhabi? Doha?

As it happens Gulf Air has now started turning in a profit, so you'll be stuck if you expect that one to go bust too soon.
That's true, but even then I see a problem in the long term. The owners of Gulf Air used to be very happy with it. Gulf Air was the only estabilished airline in the region. Now each of the owner nations has their own airline. All owners (except Oman) have a huge airline with even larger ambitions. How long will it take for the owners of Gulf Air to decide that Gulf Air takes away to much passengers from their new airlines? That more then anything else will probably be a problem for Gulf Air. As long as profits are made nothing will change. But what will the gulf states do when Gulf Air makes no profit? It will happen sooner or later, rather later if you ask me.

Typically air travel is growing at a rate of around 5% per annum, by 2020 the number of passengers travelling will have DOUBLED, therefore if you're not sure whether airports can sustain airlines such as Qatar and Emirates then look at what each airport has now from these carriers and AT LEAST double it (long haul routes are growing very fast). Remember these planes will not be delivered tomorrow and have to be put onto routes, they will be delivered through to 2015, by which time air travel will be nearing that doubling.
Good point.

Your comments have concerned me about people's understanding of air transport :confused:
Sorry to hear so. :(

Member for

20 years 10 months

Who knows?

Maybe they're discounted as much as all those Ryanair B737-800s, eh? :)

Yeah, but O'Leary at least got some free t-shirts out of that deal....

http://www.boeing.com/randy/images/oleary_737_sm.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Personally I would say that there are other destinations in Europe that could be more lucrative for a ME airline (not necessarily Qatar. Etihad, Emirates etc can do so too). For instance, AMS lacks a pax fligt from any ME airline. KLM has that market pretty much cornered. Only a fey freight services from Emirates and Qatar. In the past Jordanian and Kuwait used to fly here but they gave up.

AGAIN you've missed the point. You need to consider the availability of direct flights. DUS and MAN are good points to feed from because they have a relatively low number of long haul direct services. AMS on the other hand has loads of good quality direct services. KLM may have the AMS - ME market sewn up, but there is a good chance that there isn't room for lots of airlines between these two points offering point to point traffic. And Emirates/Qatar are not likely to get too excited about routes from there because passengers are more likely to fly to Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo and a host of other destinations direct. I know these airlines operate into London, from where passengers can also do the same. But they do so because they use London as a point to offer transfer traffic to US services. Furthermore there is stronger demand between the ME and UK than most other points in Europe. Finally, there is a 'shortage' (I use inverted commas cos obviously the flights are not all full but there would be a lack of capacity at the right price were it not for these airlines taking passengers to their hubs from here) of reasonably priced seats to points all over the world from London.

If you actually look where ME hubs carriers tend to be growing their operations it is to/from regional airports, not the majors (again..they do operate from major airports I admit, but are growing their regional services). So in the UK, Emirates serves GLA, MAN, BHX. They also serve NCE in France, and DUS in Germany, all airports with otherwise relatively poor connections to Asia (Direct anyway). I work in aviation, including passenger forecasting for airlines/airports and believe that DUS offers great potential for ME carriers offering connections through their hubs.

As for Gulf Air, it's operations have changed heavily since stakes have been sold and interest lost by certain parts of the Emirates. The airline remains the sole airline for Bahrain, a relatively strong destination in it's own right. Furthermore the carrier has a different business strategy to Emirates and Qatar...they have not yet placed significant airliner orders either, choosing instead to strengthen their current business model.

Member for

24 years 3 months

If only Air India could take notice... ;)

They went for what will suit them politically the most now and in the future. :D

Member for

20 years 6 months

Local news reporting 5 A380's to be ordered by Kingfisher Airlines and approx 12 A350... in very near future.. the news was broadcasted on the Indian CNBC channel..