T.V. heads-up tonight!(6/6/05) hurry!!!!!!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry for posting this so late....
Channel 5, 22:30 -23:35, Aircrash Investigations.

New three part series, tonights episode (Blow out) is about the BAC 1-11 skipper who was sucked out the cockpit window after it blew out!

-Dazza

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I saw this the first time around and its a great documentary. Was a British Airways flight from Birmingham to... Alicante?? Somewhere in Spain, that's for sure. :)

Member for

20 years 2 months

i seen it to a great doc aswell

Member for

19 years 10 months

Watching it now, think it was going to Malaga? Can't believe the pilot survived!

Member for

24 years 3 months

think it was going to Malaga?

Yeah, wasn't completely sure.

Amazing that the crew were able to hold the Captain where he was until the aircraft landed.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Does anyone know what happened to the engineer? I don't think they said, or I missed it.

Member for

19 years

I saw it too. The engineer was definitely to blame. He mishandled the cockpit windows.

Member for

20 years 11 months

I watched a little bit of it, unfortunately the picture on C5 is terrible on my TV, was incredibly that that guy survivied then was back flying in a few months!

Member for

20 years 9 months

I thought it was an excellent programme. I know I am pedantic but the aircraft was from Birmingham and it showed it taking off from Heathrow and I don't know the airport it was shown approaching to land (view from cockpit) but it certainly was not Southampton although the pictures on the ground were obviously taken at the time of the emergency.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I saw it too. The engineer was definitely to blame. He mishandled the cockpit wondows.

You obviously didn't listen properly.

The blame was not solely the engineer's... it was the working practise and time pressure they were under. Too much work to do in too little hours.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I know I am pedantic but the aircraft was from Birmingham and it showed it taking off from Heathrow and I don't know the airport it was shown approaching to land (view from cockpit) but it certainly was not Southampton although the pictures on the ground were obviously taken at the time of the emergency.

I know what you mean it was an excellent show but because i'm at BHX alot i couldn't help but start nitpicking the show :D :diablo:

Member for

19 years 9 months

one thing i did notice.... why didnt the storekeeper who knew what size bolts were needed pipe up and tell the engineer that he was wrong?

hindsight is a wonderful thing,but unfortunatly you only get taught that when an accident happens.

Member for

19 years

The blame was not solely the engineer's... it was the working practise and time pressure they were under. Too much work to do in too little hours.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Member for

20 years 6 months

one thing i did notice.... why didnt the storekeeper who knew what size bolts were needed pipe up and tell the engineer that he was wrong?

hindsight is a wonderful thing,but unfortunatly you only get taught that when an accident happens.

Yeah... but I can understand the Engineers frame of mind.

He took out a bunch of 7D bolts... and its was 7D bolts he wanted to put back in.
The storemane told him to use 8D... but I can see why the Engineer insisted on 7D, considering the window had been in place with them for 14 years.

Member for

20 years 9 months

You obviously didn't listen properly.

I disagree - the blame was the engineers and he should have picked up on what the Storeman told him. He may have thought he was concientious but he was cutting corners and he therefore put the lifes of nearly 90 people at risk. If he had too much to do he should have raised it through the unions who were a lot stronger then than now. Whilst it may have been a mitigating factor, it seems too many people do not want to take responsibilty for their actions. Some years ago I smashed a bloke in the face who was ******* me off in a pub. In court my solicitor said it was caused by the alcohol but the magistrate pointed out to me that I was using it as an excuse and fined me accordingly. Something I totally accepted and considered myself lucky I didn't get a custodial sentence.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I disagree - the blame was the engineers and he should have picked up on what the Storeman told him. He may have thought he was concientious but he was cutting corners and he therefore put the lifes of nearly 90 people at risk. If he had too much to do he should have raised it through the unions who were a lot stronger then than now. Whilst it may have been a mitigating factor, it seems too many people do not want to take responsibilty for their actions. Some years ago I smashed a bloke in the face who was ******* me off in a pub. In court my solicitor said it was caused by the alcohol but the magistrate pointed out to me that I was using it as an excuse and fined me accordingly. Something I totally accepted and considered myself lucky I didn't get a custodial sentence.

agreed.
Perhaps I should have worded my response better.

I'm not saying the engineer was not at fault. He was, but a very big contributing factor was the pressure to get things done asap.
Yes he could have appealed to his union, but that doesn't mean he could just stop work until it is sorted out, in the meantime he would have to carry on as usual.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Too much work to do in too little hours...

Has anything changed in this respect?