Flight routings/747 over Liverpool/contrails

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 10 months

Hello
My name is Luke and I live in Liverpool not that far from John Lennon Airport LPL.

I have noticed on Tuesday Mornings for the last 2 weeks between 08.00 and 08.30 a 747 passing over on a south easterly heading at about 23,000 ft (below contrail altitude).

This would make it a bit to high for MAN, but a bit to low for LHR etc. Anyone any ideas of what flight this might be? A cargo 747 to EMA maybe?

Also I get a lot of high level contrail traffic over my area including plenty of transatlantic and domestic traffic.

I have seen the NCL-Milan BGO flight pass over at contrail altitude coming in from the northeast and then taking a sharp left turn southwards. Would that be the standard routing for this service and would it be at contrail altitude by then?

Also what are the lowest contrailing aircraft you have seen-I have seen a Ryanair 732 pulling a contrail enroute from BHX-DUB at FL180 one evening-this seems unusually low for contrail formation.

Has anyone seen anything contrailing lower?

Luke

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

Yeah I live around that region myself and on a clear day, Heavy's at altitude going to the states keep on coming and coming, quite interesting to see.

I have seen the NCL-Milan BGO flight pass over at contrail altitude coming in from the northeast and then taking a sharp left turn southwards. Would that be the standard routing for this service and would it be at contrail altitude by then?

Luke

I would have thought so, aircraft can usually reach there crusing altitude in around 20/25 mins (depending on ATC).

Regards
Flex 35

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have noticed on Tuesday Mornings for the last 2 weeks between 08.00 and 08.30 a 747 passing over on a south easterly heading at about 23,000 ft (below contrail altitude).

This would make it a bit to high for MAN, but a bit to low for LHR etc. Anyone any ideas of what flight this might be? A cargo 747 to EMA maybe?

Probably using this months NAT tracks coming off in North North West Ireland and flying to BEL VOR then UL10/WAL then down to London. Hard to tell aliitudes with naked eye so id say was lower and MAN headed.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Welcome to forum my young scouser friend

Member for

20 years 2 months

I saw 3 contrails following each other today heading west over Dublin quite a rare scene for me at least. I once saw an Aer Arran atr 42 making contrails after departing SNN. I was young and innocent then and didnt think props made contrails.

Member for

18 years 11 months

It is always interesting to see contrails...recently i have seen a Swissair A340 pass overhead!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I saw 3 contrails following each other today heading west over Dublin quite a rare scene for me at least. I once saw an Aer Arran atr 42 making contrails after departing SNN. I was young and innocent then and didnt think props made contrails.

They do :eek: