Spotting in Greece

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Hi,
I am soon going on holiday to Zakynthos (Zante) one of the greek ionian islands. The resort I will be staying in is right next to the airport and the aircraft fly over the local beach to land. My question is, is it wise to take photos of the aircraft? I remember the story of those imprisoned in Greece becauseof this and also a lack of pictures on airliners.net for anywhere in Greece.
Thank you for any information!

Original post

Member for

20 years

We've had pictures from Zante on here before, Whitefox.

Have any of you lot been there recently? Tom.....?

Member for

20 years 11 months

AhAh, here we go.

I stayed in last year (and am doing again this year), Kalamaki.

Spotting is absolutely no trouble from the beach, or as I did, right up at the perimeter fence. Search the threads that I have started to find my thread with photos.

Where are you staying in Kalamaki, and when are you going? :)

Member for

20 years 2 months

Great choice! I loved Zante, my favourite Greek Island, but I don't think I'd advise taking pics, I can't remember exactly what the situation is like there, but there might have been signs up on the fence saying not to? However, you don't really have to be by the airport to get pics if you have a good camera, just go to the beach! :D
I just remember finding a little remote spot very close to the runway, and with a Slovak Tu154 taking off, deafening! :D No camera though.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Been to the Greek islands many a time the latest just a few weeks ago in Rhodes but never tried spotting, dont really do much spotting atoll.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Im staying in Kalamaki, in the Dennys inn, leaving on the 26th May from LGW for a week. My camera isnt that great, it is a Kodak DX6490, it has 10x optical zoom and 4MP. I would love to get myself a Canon 300D or Nikon 70D but im afraid I cannot aford it with only being 17, still got school to worry about, must try to save!!
I will go look for those threads now, thanks for the response guys!

Member for

20 years 11 months

Ah the Dennys inn, ive seen that, your camera will be great for shots from the beach :)

Im staying at the Roseland Hotel on the 22nd of August :)

Member for

20 years 2 months

Im staying in Kalamaki, in the Dennys inn, leaving on the 26th May from LGW for a week. My camera isnt that great, it is a Kodak DX6490, it has 10x optical zoom and 4MP. I would love to get myself a Canon 300D or Nikon 70D but im afraid I cannot aford it with only being 17, still got school to worry about, must try to save!!
I will go look for those threads now, thanks for the response guys!

10x optical should do just fine for shots from the beach. :D Kalamaki is great, just watch out for the kamikazee bikers! :eek:

Member for

18 years 11 months

The Roseland was the other hotel we were offered to go to, but when we came to book it had gone. Is Dennys Inn close to flightpaths or not, so that I could take pictures from there?

Member for

20 years 11 months

I dont think its that close mate, I dont think the Roseland is either.

The place I stayed last year - the Amaryllis, was closer than either of these, though to get really close from your hotel, you need to be looking at somewhere like the Marelen or the Louros Beach. As you can see from my shots on that thread, I had a great view of the planes from the Amaryllis, dont think it will be no where near as good this year.

Still - I will trundle down to the beach instead.

I see that the 26th is a Tuesday, at least you will be there for the busiest day of the week - Sunday, when the airport is hell ;)

Member for

18 years 11 months

The 26th may is a Thursday I hope, cause its just before Half term while on study leave for my AS exams. I will just walk down the beach then, at least it will be a bit quieter in the room to get away from it a bit.
Thanks for all the help and a warm welcome here!
Hope to post some shots when I get back.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Doh! I thought it was a Tuesday ;) At least you still arent going on manic Sunday!

You will have a fantastic time mate, I did last year, thats why I cant wait to go back!

Looking forward to the shots :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

My advice is, just don't take any photos at the airport. The Greeks really don't trip on taking photos of civil airliners, just military. If you're on the beach and the planes fly overhead, take as many as you want, as long as they're not military.

Member for

18 years 11 months

OK, thank you, I will keep away from the airport, why are they so odwn on spoters at airports, is it the security thing? But most other countries allow it quite freely?

Member for

20 years 11 months

I took plenty of shots on the ramp at ZTH, and also took a couple from the perimeter fence..., I have also done the same at Corfu.

I think the only time you would have a problem is if the airport doubles as a military airport, like Santorini does I think.

Member for

24 years 3 months

OK, thank you, I will keep away from the airport, why are they so odwn on spoters at airports, is it the security thing? But most other countries allow it quite freely?
See, I don't know. On all the aviation photo websites there is a Greek photographer (Elliott Kefalas) who takes pictures from ATH and various other airports, and most if not all of his photos are ramp shots. He obviously does so no problem, so I don't know. The fact that those blokes got arrested a few years back is very disturbing. I don't even know where they were taking pictures from.

Member for

24 years 3 months

As far as I am concerned those guys were set-up when the greek authorities realised that they had little or no background to their claims and werent man enough to back down.

However......good luck spotting on your holiday!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Could anyone tell me how i can find out what type and maybe even the reg of the aircraft that will be used on my flight to and from Zante? A website or something?
Thank You.

I think it will be safer for me to stay away from the airport but just check out security and if anyone else goes there.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Hiya mate, the reg will be impossible to find out I think, what airline you flying with and where from? :)

Spot from the beach mate to be completely on the safe side, not a bad place to spot anyway really is it!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Flying from LGW with Thomas Cook.